Really confused

bubbins

Dec 3, 2010
Cambs
Hello again!

So, grandma had her appointment today with her consultant as since we've all seen a sharp decline, we expected the consultant to say that she has worsened... However, they said she had improved by "one point" ... whatever that means.

What the hell?! How is that possible? Is there something I'm missing ??? :confused:

Bubbins

x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It must have been on the Mini Mental State Exam Bubbins. My husband has to do this every six months - he goes up and down the scores!! I have to say it doesn't really tell us much. I think it sometimes informs the doctors regarding whether someone is still benefiting from alzheimers drugs. I don't hold much store by it. I always argue my husband's case when we go so that he stays on the drugs.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
It is possible because your loved one can dig deep when they recognise the need to self preserve, and can elevate their scores. My mum was the same. x

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
I don't hold much store by the score either! When Gary was really ill and confused because he was taking an increased dose of statins his score went up two points to 18!:confused: I'd been dreading it because i was sure he'd have dropped again but that wasn't the case

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum's score can be so off what you expect that it makes me question what the point of them is. She will put on a real show when the Dr is there and then forget he has ever been 10 minutes later. Some days I doubt she would get half the score she did on her last test and other she is much better.

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi Bubbins

I don't set much store by the score either. My mother had a score of 22 and managed okish at home on her own. 6 months later, her score was 22 again but she was completely unable to be left alone at home for another minute, she could no longer do anything for herself and would have either starved to death or wandered into the road in front of the traffic.

Don't worry too much, you know your mum best and can see how she is for yourself.

R

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Hello

we had this with our mum too. However, they said they would take into account what we told them. I listed all the things that mum had been doing on the phone to the nurse before she assessed mum.
then she did the memory test and mum had only lost a few points so the nurse was not hopeful she would eligible for aricept etc. despite telling us that she would listen to what we told her. however, she then told the consultant and they are going to consider her and get her more help.
I suggest you keep a diary of everything and send them updates. THe nurse we have, said lots of people do this. I spoke to her today and she agreed with me when I pointed out that people with dementia can appear totally fine when they know they are being assessed. Infact for this reason she doesn't make appointments, she just drops in to see people so they are not prepared.
At the last appointment, mum knew she was coming before hand and was practising counting back from 100 minusing 7!

the other thing is you have to really get on their cases if you want them to listen! Let them know you are not going to be forgotten about and that you expect to be listened to. Its not right as I have not found this with any other NHS department but it is a sad fact.