Question on LPA certified copies

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
I had certified copies of the LPAs I hold made by a local solicitor.

They stamped each page of each copy with "Certified copy of the original - XXXX Solicitors" and then hand signed just below the stamp.

So far, I've used these certified copies to register the LPA with 5 different financial institutions without any issue.

Today I've had a letter back from the last one I need to register with saying that the LPAs are not properly certified and need to be signed and dated on every page.

The information on the OPG website does say self-certified copies need the date on each page but it's not clear whether certified copies made by a solicitor do too.

Does anyone know the definitive requirement for this?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Does anyone know the definitive requirement for this?"

The Powers of Attorney Act 1971 does not require a date.

3 Proof of instruments creating powers of attorney.

(1)The contents of an instrument creating a power of attorney may be proved by means of a copy which—
(a)is a reproduction of the original made with a photographic or other device for reproducing documents in facsimile; and
(b)contains the following certificate or certificates signed by the donor of the power or by a solicitor [F4duly certificated notary public] or stockbroker, that is to say—
(i)a certificate at the end to the effect that the copy is a true and complete copy of the original; and
(ii)if the original consists of two or more pages, a certificate at the end of each page of the copy to the effect that it is a true and complete copy of the corresponding page of the original.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/27?view=plain

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
Nice find Nitram, thank you very much.

Your contributions on here are always very useful. :)

Have a virtual drink on me :D