Put it in writing...!

Laurence

Jul 3, 2010
Cheshire
I was talking to another carer (whom I had just met) the other day and realised that he had reached the point where he could no longer cope and had, with great reluctance, placed his loved one in a care facility where she could receive the level of care he could no longer provide.

I thank God every day (well, almost every day!) for the grace to continue caring for Brenda, but I am equally aware that, with the tiniest change in circumstances, this could end tomorrow. It prompted me to write the following in honour of ALL carers.

PS I did consider making it 365 lines long but, hopefully, this 'short' version gets the point across equally well. It is entitled "I give...".

I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give...
I give up.

Laurence

Jul 3, 2010
Cheshire
I have often told friends that the easiest way to assess my current state of mind is to just look at how many dirty dishes are piled up in the sink. I wrote this today after one of our carers visited us...

THE ANGEL

An angel visited us today

Fulfilled my greatest wishes

She placed her halo to one side

And simply washed the dishes!

Laurence

Jul 3, 2010
Cheshire
I have to admit that I have hesitated to put the following piece online for a while as it is undoubtedly the most personal yet.

I'm also acutely aware that many people are uncomfortable about discussions that touch on relationships between carer and dementia sufferer when that pair are married or life-partners. How does one cope when deep feelings can no longer be expressed in their most intimate forms?

In my case I can also honestly say that, even after 36 years of marriage, Brenda looks as good as ever (she could easily slip into the same clothes she wore when I first met her) in spite of the dementia and that is both a real blessing and a curse.

So, I apologise in advance if any aspects of the piece upsets you but please believe it is an honest record of my feelings. I just wanted to write something that honoured the most important lady in my life, even though she will be completely unaware of its content (in this life, at least).

To return to that question about coping...? You just sigh a very deep sigh, accept that even the best things cannot last forever and continue to appreciate the wonderful view.

This Brenda

This woman, who captured my heart during a forest walk on a warm summer's day so many years ago; who continues to hold that heart though her hands are frail and the memories of that day are now beyond her reach.

These eyes, once cat-like and sensuous, retain their fire though no longer able to reveal to her the faces of loved ones that surround her.

These lips, never made gaudy with artificial colours and gloss, still draw my gaze and stir that same deep longing to caress though now demoted to functional tools for daily rituals.

These hands, once soft and slender, talented and capable, now wring in silent anguish like some modern-day Lady Macbeth at an unrecognised tragedy.

This body, as shapely as when it blossomed into womanhood, still provokes the same passions in me each morning whilst being showered and yet is no longer itself aroused from its own imposed slumber by any touch, no matter how necessarily intimate.

These arms, still strong despite the passing years, once propelled her through water like a fish; held me close when times were rough and bore two boys from infancy to manhood with a mother's miraculous combination of tenderness and resilience.

These legs, slender as ever, have walked many a thousand miles at my side; faithful and supportive; agile and athletic; now defy all encouragement to continue that journey and are reduced to a shuffling parody of their former selves.

This voice, that long ago vowed with me before God and man to become one body and soul, is no longer able to vocalise that commitment and babbles strange words and phrases that confuse and frustrate both her and me.

This forgetting - but not forgotten - hero who was my very own living diary, personal assistant and aide memoire; whose memories are like the walls in an old house covered by layer upon layer of wallpaper slowly being stripped back to reveal a haphazard patchwork of faded hopes and dreams.

This woman. This whole. This angel who has stood by me all our married life still arouses such conflicting feelings of fierce love, dark desire and tender caring and yet remains unaware of the profound effect her presence continues to produce in me - her avowed lifelong companion, soulmate and friend.

This woman.
This wife.
This Brenda.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Laurence you do have a way with words, what a gift and absolutely nothing anyone could take offence at, it just sums up how many of us feel both male and female when the partner we have loved for many years is so changed by this horrible disease.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Lovely photo of you and Brenda Laurence and your words are so moving.

My sister and I kept a diary from day one when we looked after Dad.
It did help to put our feelings and thoughts down on paper. When we look back in the diary, our dementia journey had tears, yes but there was also a lot of love and laughter along the way.

My OH has been recently diagnosed with Parkinson's and dementia so at least I have had the training
Onwards and upwards eh!

Lovely post Laurence

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Thank you for sharing again. I am sure that, somewhere, deep down your beloved is aware of how much she is loved. Again, how cruel is this illness.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Laurence

Jul 3, 2010
Cheshire
Laurence you do have a way with words, what a gift and absolutely nothing anyone could take offence at, it just sums up how many of us feel both male and female when the partner we have loved for many years is so changed by this horrible disease.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Thanks Jinx - I realised when writing it that I would be speaking for many in the same position.

Laurence

Jul 3, 2010
Cheshire
Lovely photo of you and Brenda Laurence and your words are so moving.

My sister and I kept a diary from day one when we looked after Dad.
It did help to put our feelings and thoughts down on paper. When we look back in the diary, our dementia journey had tears, yes but there was also a lot of love and laughter along the way.

My OH has been recently diagnosed with Parkinson's and dementia so at least I have had the training
Onwards and upwards eh!

Lovely post Laurence

Thanks SisterAct. I am so sorry to hear about your OH. God bless. Laurence

Mibs

May 26, 2014
Derbyshire
Thank you, Laurence, for 'Today' - it is a heartbreaking, beautiful piece which prompts instant recognition from those in the same situation. I am sure that others on TP like me are reading your posts, and gaining strength from the knowledge that we are not crying alone. Thank you

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potato head