Profing Bed Assessment sprung on mum with profiling bed

JenGrey

Mar 16, 2024
Hello everyone

About a year ago my mum was in hospital and recovered. She had an OT assessment and they concluded that she required a profiling bed permanently and various other bits and pieces. She has vascular dementia, has been deemed extremely frail by the geriatric care team (although she looks hale and hearty her dementia has affected her mobility), and her cognitive function is pretty poor (although you can have a chat with her where she appears okay).

My mum lives with me. Today a district nurse came round as they do every few months, chatted for ten minutes, we agreed everything was okay, and she left. Later on she phoned and told me my mum needed an assessment because the only reason district nurses were coming round every three months was because my mum had a profiling bed. She suggested I could bring down a bed from upstairs to replace the profiling bed. She said she'd be in touch to arrange this assessment.

Reeling from this, a few hours later I phoned the district nursing team and asked them about this assessment. The woman I spoke to said it wasn't a physical assessment, just a chat. I asked why there was an assessment at all when the OT team had carried out a physical assessment and deemed it necessary for my mum to have one permanently. She told me she knew nothing about my mum so couldn't answer. But if my mum had improved since coming out of hospital that would be a reason. (I laughed when she said that. My mum's in decline, she's not suddenly going to be able to be better!) She also said if they decided there wasn't a nursing need they'd remove the bed.

I'm worried! Anything to do with my mum becomes stressful very quickly, and I would say the vast majority of medical professionals just want my mum to be safe and well looked after, and seeing that's the case are very happy everything's ticking along.

What is nursing need? Mum got the bed because she's very unsteady, gets easily confused, and had had falls during the night at home, also because I have to dress and undress her and to help me (e.g. save my back) I could raise the bed to do her shoes and tights. Also sometimes, I raise the head bit of the bed to help Mum out of bed if she hasn't got the strength.

Is this what they mean by nursing need? They are phoning me back tomorrow for further chat about it. But I feel I'm going to phone OT on Monday and involve them, because I don't think a frail lady in her 90s should have her bed whipped away because one person saw her for ten minutes and thought she didn't really need it.

In my mind, the next step would be for a hoist (and this was very briefly mentioned by OT a while ago) because at some point my mum won't be able to do her transfers (she doesn't walk), not to have things taken away.

I'm really upset by this, and it's now churning round my mind as to what might happen.

Thanks for reading.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Hello @JenGrey I am so sorry to hear of your dilemma. It’s so unfair that after a short visit you are now left feeling so upset and worried over the weekend. Good idea to talk to OT, you make some very valid points about your mum’s needs, and indeed yours as a carer. You could also mention that if they take away the profiling bed, you will be no longer able to care for her at home. That will make them think! It’s outrageous that they are leaving you feeling unsupported. I make bullet point notes to help me present my case, so that I don’t omit anything in the heat of the moment. I am sure things will work out for the best, but being prepared is key. Good luck and keep in touch. I am sure others will be along with better knowledge regarding your situation.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I'm sorry to hear about your mum . I'm not able to offer advice as I've not been in a similar position
There does seem to me to be a continual dumbing down of pwd needs in what looks like a cost cutting exercise and I'm really sorry if this is the case here.
I think as you suggest,contact OH on Monday. I might be inclined to ignore the phone call to discuss tomorrow but there's the risk they may make a decision with out engaging you.
I do wish they'd put people before money.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
This reads to me like the DN’s want her off their list and as the bed is their reason …let’s get rid of the bed.

No OT would allow that - don’t worry. I think this is a bungle on the DN‘s part that will get quickly cleared up.

Phone for OT as you have suggested on Monday ….if she needs the head raised to help you get her out of bed that’s that box ticked!

JenGrey

Mar 16, 2024
Yes @sdmhred it feels like that to me. Faulty logic on their part.

@maggie6445 Yes, it feels like since she doesn't have oozing bed sores or something like that then it's not nursing so no bed needed.

Oh that's a very good point @DeeCee7 about not being able to care for her without the bed.

I think I'll take the call, hear what they say, then tell them I'm calling OT on Monday as it was a physical OT assessment that determined the need for the bed. And that since Mum's gradually declining, I doubt they'd think she was in a position to have her bed removed. And ask OT to speak to them.

Thanks for being here, I appreciate you replying! :)