Problems with GP Surgery

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
I am being driven to breaking point by the obstructive nature of my mums local surgery.

Yet again mum has a uti. I know she has a uti because after six years of dealing with her utis I can smell one a mile away.

Her surgery will not allow anyone to drop off a urine sample to be tested. I have to make an in person appointment and take someone with zero mobility so the doctor can tell me she doesn’t have a fever so she doesn’t have an infection. I then have to argue that she never presents with a fever and beg them to please let me bring a urine sample for testing.

When I eventually get the prescription for the antibiotics they send it to her online pharmacy that take a week to deliver. I have to make another appointment to ask them to send the prescription to the local pharmacy so I can pick it up the same day. Then when I get the prescription I can 100% guarantee it’s gel caps despite requesting a liquid antibiotic because she can’t swOllie the caps. Last time I asked for it to be changed my request was denied because it wasn’t “cost effective”

I have asked repeatedly for her to be put on prophylactic treatment. I’m always told no. This is despite people I know using the same surgery being given prophylactic treatment. We talk about these things down our dementia group.

She used to have a repeat prescription for LBF barrier cream. It was removed. Despite repeated requests to have it back I’m told no. I have to buy it myself.

The district nurse requested a prescription for duo derm patches to help with a problem sore. I never got them. I had to buy them myself.

I’ve asked to speak to the practise manager 4 times this year. Each time they have refused to speak to me.

i can’t change her to another surgery because they’re all run by the same management company.

I don’t know what to do anymore.

Mary 85

Apr 13, 2023
Hi @Cap'n Grimm,

I understand what you’re saying about your local medical practice. They can be awkward and not so helpful. But don’t you have Power of Attorney to use while dealing with your GP surgery?

Some people take cystitis sachets or cranberry drinks/tablets and products every day to prevent cystitis from happening, which might help. Boots also offers over the counter cystitis treatment medications.

You could of course call the nhs helpline on 0300 061 0614 or visit the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman website to explain the difficulties you’re experiencing with your local medical practice. I did call them once and they were very helpful.

Mazurka

Apr 30, 2023
I know what you mean about GP'S. When my wife first went to them, they did a short memory test. On the basis of the results she was referred to our local Mental Health Hospital. Weeks later we attended, and the memory test showed she needed more tests. At this stage, the surgery " opted out ". It was the good folks at the hospital who arranged x-ray, CT scan, blood teste etc. The result was Alzheimers. The practitioner from the hospital was the one who prescribed the drugs, by e-mailing the surgery. Since then we have a four weekly visit, and the lady who does all this, sends her assessment to the GP. When I phoned the surgery recently, for them to arrange a Community nurse to visit about my wife's incontinence, what did I get? A phone number. DIY doctoring. Got that sorted, and they arranged for Social Care to visit. The chap who came was great, and it looks as if we will be offered help with washing her, changing etc. And the GP surgery?
They rang to say Jean was due blood test and blood pressure check. Everyone knows she will not leave the house, and they said, when can she come to surgery! One glance at my wife's notes, would have sorted that. I told them, again, and they said they will arrange a home visit. Like the last time. Support comes mostly from Age UK, and our social services. I have arthritis in the knees, and was given a set of excersices. Wow.
If, God forbid, I ever need a doctor, I will save and go private. Well, it,s either that or the Witch Doctor.
The best book I have read about this horrible disease, is Dementia. By June Andrews, professor emeritus in dementia studies Costs £10.99, but if you are a member of your public library, it is available on "borrow books" . Keep going, we all have to, be kind to yourself.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Write to your MP Re the surgery.

in the mean time next time u have a UTI wait til after hours and see if 111 offers a better service. We have found them quite good here anyway. Often send round a GP within a few hours and either leave prescription or actual meds.

also perhaps see if there are admiral nurses in your area. They will be able to advocate for you too.

very very frustrating and annoying …..plus neglect of ur mum when she needs the treatment

Jessie5

Jul 17, 2017
I’m so sorry. My mum had a useless surgery and even they were better than this. I would put your complaints in writing and state what you would like to happen - I.e you are not able to get your Mum into the surgery so need to be able to send in a sample/ have a telephone consultation.

If surgery under a management company worth exploring If the group has someone you can also complain to?

Good luck. I feel your pain.

Phil2020

Oct 11, 2020
Mum suffered from almost continuous UTIs - one after another after another. Then someone told me that blueberries & Fage Total 0% Fat Greek Recipe Strained Yogurt (yoghurt with Live Active Yoghurt Cultures) were very effective in combating UTIs so mum now has a cup full of blueberries (blitzed in the blender) and a usual size yoghurt pot of the yoghurt, along with her porridge EVERY morning ... and UTIs are pretty much a thing of the past. Last one was in May this year. Took about a week or ten days to take effect & only keeps UTIs at bay whilst it's being taken. May not solve your mum's UTI problem but it's got to be worth a try giving how debilitating endless UTIs can be on both you and your mum.

Has your mum been examined by a SALT nurse (Speech and language therapists (SALTs) assess difficulties with swallowing and communication)? Like you I'd asked the surgery for liquid meds. and was pretty much ignored. I then told them in writing that mum had problems swallowing her medications in capsules/tablets. They referred her to the SALT nurse, who came and checked mum's swallow reflex/ability, and subsequently recommended that liquid meds be provided whenever possible. Mum started receiving liquid meds shortly thereafter. Word of warning though, liquid meds are not held by most pharmacies in normal circumstances. So they can take longer to get hold of and longer to prepare. And it's true liquid meds are more expensive than standard tablets, capsules. I've reverted in many circumstances to the tablets and capsules but (on 'quiet' advice of the pharmacy) crush the tablets up and put them on a spoonful of yoghurt, or cut open the little capsules and again put on a bit of yoghurt. Mum swallows this easily and the meds still do the job.

As for the conduct of the practice, it sounds insensitive, un-empathetic and very tiresome. It seems very odd that they'll not allow a urine sample to be dropped off by a third party, and as for a demand that mum attends 'in person' ... when my mum's practice tried that I told them that she was housebound - she is - and that ultimately THEY - her doctors and the NHS - are responsible for her health matters NOT me. So if they made appointments at the surgery for her, they would have to provide an ambulance and someone to accompany her there and back. We no longer have demands for 'in person' attendance.

But I'd also complain - very loudly to the Ombudsman as suggested by @Mary85 and I'd copy that letter of complaint to the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care; to your mum's local MP, to each of the doctors - individually - at the practice; to the practice manager, and to the Head of Community Nursing for your mum's area. Although you shouldn't expect a response from anyone but the practice manager I've found such communications can get attention!

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
I wish I had the time and strength to fight the good fight, I‘ve read what PaleRider went through with CHC funding and I have the utmost admiration for that level of tenacity and determination. I think I would have caved at the first hurdle.

I have had better results using 111. After being told she didn’t have an infection i Noticed blood in the urine. Couple of chats and a few hours later I had antibiotics. But in my mind 111 should be an agent of last resort. It shouldn’t be your immediate goto.

Recently called 111 cause I had concerns with mums breathing, the doctor who came was a former employee of the surgery. I asked why she left. Cost cutting.

Is it normal for a surgery to have no full time doctors? All the doctors at mum’s surgery ar part time. And since mum’s previous doctor left, probably thanks to cost cutting, she’s never actually met her assigned doctor. It’s a real shame because her original doctor was really on point with the whole dementia thing because her own mum had it.

Going private is certainly worth a look at this point I feel. I think there’s something to be said for paying for convenience.

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
Mum suffered from almost continuous UTIs - one after another after another. Then someone told me that blueberries & Fage Total 0% Fat Greek Recipe Strained Yogurt (yoghurt with Live Active Yoghurt Cultures) were very effective in combating UTIs so mum now has a cup full of blueberries (blitzed in the blender) and a usual size yoghurt pot of the yoghurt, along with her porridge EVERY morning ... and UTIs are pretty much a thing of the past. Last one was in May this year. Took about a week or ten days to take effect & only keeps UTIs at bay whilst it's being taken. May not solve your mum's UTI problem but it's got to be worth a try giving how debilitating endless UTIs can be on both you and your mum.

Has your mum been examined by a SALT nurse (Speech and language therapists (SALTs) assess difficulties with swallowing and communication)? Like you I'd asked the surgery for liquid meds. and was pretty much ignored. I then told them in writing that mum had problems swallowing her medications in capsules/tablets. They referred her to the SALT nurse, who came and checked mum's swallow reflex/ability, and subsequently recommended that liquid meds be provided whenever possible. Mum started receiving liquid meds shortly thereafter. Word of warning though, liquid meds are not held by most pharmacies in normal circumstances. So they can take longer to get hold of and longer to prepare. And it's true liquid meds are more expensive than standard tablets, capsules. I've reverted in many circumstances to the tablets and capsules but (on 'quiet' advice of the pharmacy) crush the tablets up and put them on a spoonful of yoghurt, or cut open the little capsules and again put on a bit of yoghurt. Mum swallows this easily and the meds still do the job.

As for the conduct of the practice, it sounds insensitive, un-empathetic and very tiresome. It seems very odd that they'll not allow a urine sample to be dropped off by a third party, and as for a demand that mum attends 'in person' ... when my mum's practice tried that I told them that she was housebound - she is - and that ultimately THEY - her doctors and the NHS - are responsible for her health matters NOT me. So if they made appointments at the surgery for her, they would have to provide an ambulance and someone to accompany her there and back. We no longer have demands for 'in person' attendance.

But I'd also complain - very loudly to the Ombudsman as suggested by @Mary85 and I'd copy that letter of complaint to the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care; to your mum's local MP, to each of the doctors - individually - at the practice; to the practice manager, and to the Head of Community Nursing for your mum's area. Although you shouldn't expect a response from anyone but the practice manager I've found such communications can get attention!
Thanks for the recipe. I will be going down the shops soon as and trying that immediately.

Mum has been assessed by the salt team a few times. She’s on a puréed diet now. They are fully aware of her swallowing issues. The problem is you would have to use the scroll wheel on the mouse to look further up the page to see that, and that is asking a hell of a lot from a doctor.

I also like your idea about the ambulance. Maybe that’ll wipe the smug look off the receptionists face.

Some top tips there.

Jessie5

Jul 17, 2017
Completely understand not having the strength to fight. We fought for CHC funding for my Dad who had really complicated healthcare needs. It left me broken and fully convinced the system is designed to break people so they give up! I def don’t have it in me for my Mum.

If calling 111 is what works for you then that’s what I would do.( I agree it is supposed to be last resort, but you have to do what you have to do, right?).

My local surgery has no full time drs either, so I don’t think uncommon. They are struggling to recruit in what is quite an affluent area so I would imagine even harder in more deprived areas with more complex health needs.

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
our surgery only has part time gp's....and they would rather make a phone call...and as they are all asian it's often difficult to understand what's being said over a phone...you have to ask for a face to face appointment....years ago if we were ill you could ask for a house call.....well that was in the distant past

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I wouldn’t say 111 is last resort…..after GP closing hours it’s the recommended…..no reason why u can’t ‘spot’ the symptoms at 6pm ….

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
When Mum was diagnosed with Dementia she was put onto a list (can't remember the name of it) but basically it meant that if I phoned the surgery (had POA) with a problem then she was given priority. They were very helpful as Mum used to get recurring UTI's and the gp gave me some urine test strips in the bottle so I could check the readings, the gp told me what to look for and if I thought she had a uti then they would give me a bottle and I was able to return it to the GP. The system worked very well initially until she would then become immobile and that usually meant a trip to hospital.
Your Mum's surgery sounds like a nightmare and I wouldn't have a clue as to who to complain to but you cannot obviously carry on like this, I hope you can get something sorted

Hermann

Sep 24, 2023
Cap'n Grimm, I'd second sdmhred's advice to contact your MP about your GP practice.

However, in the first instance, if you haven't already done so, I'd make a formal complaint to the GP practice themselves, outlining your reasons for complaining and stating what you want them to do to rectify matters.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@Cap'n Grimm please do not hesitate to call 111 if you are not getting help from your surgery. I have had to call 111 twice recently and they were so helpful.
Yes they are supposed to be ‘last resort’ but if your surgery is not listening or helping then you need that ‘last resort’.