Problems at home


New member
Feb 22, 2024
My mum has Vascular dementia, cared for at home by my dad who is has deteriorated physically.She has been wandering off, getting agitated and we are having problems caring for her.


Registered User
Feb 18, 2017
Hello @ClaireLJ , this must be so stressful for you all. Is your dad getting any support with the caring from other agencies? If not, now would be the time to start the ball rolling with social services. Ask them for an assessment of your mums needs and a carers assessment for your dad, say that he is struggling and you are concerned about the welfare of both of them. If there is a chance that your mum would be self funding ( with savings of over £23,500) they you could approach care agencies yourselves to get support in. Another thing to think about would be some respite care so that your dad can rest and take stock.


Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @ClaireLJ and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. Sorry to hear about your situation, it does sound as though your parents both need some extra support now although it can be difficult for people to accept that they need this, and sometimes a partner will struggle on and become ill themselves. As mentioned above, if you haven't already done so contact the local authority adult social care team and request a care needs & carer assessment for your parents. They will be able to advise what can be offered by way of support - see link below for details of the assessment process. It might also be useful to contact your mum's GP to let them know that she is agitated as a mediation review might help. I've also included a link for Admiral nurses as they can also offer support to families and carers. This is a friendly and supportive place, and people are happy to help and offer suggestions if they can, so please keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.


Forum statistics

Latest member