Power of Attorneys going on well deserved break who stops the bureaucrats?

rageineden

Dec 14, 2015
Both of us are power of attorney for a relative and after 12 months of virtually constant hospital visits and battles with council/NHS bureaucrats, we are going for a break in 10 days time, before it kills us off.

Our worry is that while the cats away...the bureaucrats will try to do what they can't do when we are here. It's not paranoia, just based on our experiences so far.

Does anyone know of a way to ensure that the bureaucrats can only continue to act in accordance with our wishes and that of our relative?

Do we need to write to them all in advance reconfirming our position? Are we able to empower our daughter to act on our behalf?

We will be contactable by phone and email but there may be times when this will not be during 'office' hours.

Thanks

Livveywills

Jul 11, 2015
I don't know anything official - but experience tells me that your thoughts about writing your wishes down are spot on. If it isn't written, dated and signed then they can say that it wasn't said.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I think you can appoint your daughter as your representative who has your authority to attend any meetings on your behalf and report back to you. Also state that you will expect to see minutes of any meeting and decision made in your absence.

Hopefully it will put anyone off as that is an awful load of red tape to plough through.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I would write it all down and say there will be no decisions made whilst you are away - don't leave it open they will jump in right away even if they hadn't thought of it