Power of Attorney Questions

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
My husband refuses point blank to set up P.O.A .He thinks we are after his money. Any ideas would be welcome:

I don't know your situation in terms of the stage your husband is at but would it help to tell him that if he doesn't set up PoA with you then, when he can't, it will be done to him, so to speak, and his money will disappear in legal costs. Just a thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
We are finally set to get both POA registered. We used a solicitor (expensive and not necessary) who gave Mum and I peace of mind as we were doing it "officially".
The solicitor visited Mum at home twice. I explained carefully both times why and what was happening.
Solicitor was late, Mum was in a right strop by the time she arrived. Mum & solicitor sat on the settee together. She gently explained to Mum what she was doing and asked Mum if she understood what was going on.
Mum shouted to me "No - you are making me do this I don't know what's going on"
I just wanted the floor to swallow me up, the solicitor said in that case she couldn't proceed. Mum burst into tears. I'm sorry etc.
At this point I left the room, Mum calmed down and finally went through everything and signed.
I must say I am relieved it's done.
I would advise anyone - Do Not Delay.

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
I did it myself using the online forms, with my mum as initiating it, just in time, & her neighbour was the certificate provider and our witness. The day we had the neighbour in she was having a good day. She has so deteriorated in over a yr since it was done & is in a care home now. Take your time, read & reread, & in my case reprint where I'd made mistakes, until you get it right. Took me about 3 weeks to get my head around it all, but went through first time without any problems.

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
I did the POA for welfare and finance myself in 2012 just affer my mum's diagnosis and while she still understood. I used the guidance notes and examples as mum's affairs are straightforward. It took 3 months to get done and signed. I did not ask her GP to sign but her lunch club organiser and oldest friend were happy to do it, It was only refused once on a minor error with no extra charge.
I now control my mum's accounts and pay bills carers/cleaners etc. I give her her weekly spending money for lunch club and shopping etc.
I found out that my brother had been 'borrowing' money from her for many years which he now can't do so will not speak to me. Her money is now safe for her future and her wishes to stay in her home for as long as possible are met.

mrbeamer

Feb 4, 2015
My Mum has recently been diagnosed with early Dementia. I have been advised to sort out Power of Attorney. I want to try and do this myself rather than through a solicitor and have approached Mum's GP to sign the Mental Capacity bit which he doesn't like to do. He said he would refer Mum to a physiatrist for assessment. Are there any other options other than this route, which Mum will be reluctant to go through with. If I asked a close friend of hers would this be enough? Also, is there any argument for not pursuing this Power of Attorney or should I just keep going?

Sara, it is vital you get POA and done properly with a solicitor, there is a lot to do. i asked my mother when she was diagnosed and she understood, we went to our family solicitor who asked me to leave the room whilst they explained the POA to mother which she accepted.
It took about month to get the POA and we were charged just under £500.
Right now I hold a legal POA which has made my life easier when dealing with banks etc etc. MY ADVICE .... Arrange a POA RIGHT NOW, Dementia can progress quickly and you must not be left short, if your Mum refuses to get involved in a POA, the only other way is via the courts which is very long winded and costly, far more than a good solicitor would charge

macatac

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
I applied for,and was granted poa to deal with my mums financial affairs. I did this online,no drs letters,solicitor required. Due to my mums low income,and savings,it only cost £55 instead of the normal £110. Takes around 10-12wks from start to finish.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I am in the process of doing power of attorney for my husband he has early stage Alzheimers. I have done this with a solicitor also made new wills and will be changing my deeds to Tennants in Common. This will protect you if you own a property it can take up to 3 months to complete.

this will may not protect you from selling home even if done 5 yrs before it is needed .This is from a solicitor explaining things at a dementia café I went to.

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Definately keep going. This needs doing while your mum understands the forms. The consultant who did my diagnosis completed the form for me and charged over £100 to do it. He also recommended that my wife get power of attorney very soon.
My GP was't happy to do it either. Friends are fine to do it. Our problem was that friends didnt really understand what they were signing for and werent happy to say I had mental capacity which is why we went back to the consultant