Poor memory and confusion

rcq21

Jul 12, 2016
Hi I am a 20 year old male who has undergone a sudden change in behavior. I was a social and outgoing person a few years back. However, 7 months back I have started to become really anxious, confused, isolated and having poor memory. I went to the GP and he told me that it is all anxiety related. My anxiety level has definitely improved however I do get confused a lot and have become increasingly forgetful, especially of things I have recently done. My friends noticed that my behavior has significantly changed and that I have become increasingly forgetful and anxious. My cousin keeps saying that I am behaving very differently and that I dont understand conversations easily. He also tells me I forget things people tell me quickly compared to last year. He feels that something is wrong with me.

My neurologist told me that I have BFS (benign fasciculation syndrome) which is a cause for my twitching. However, I am concerned why my behavior has suddenly changed. Is this poor memory anything of concern? It has been going on for awhile and quite a few folks commented on my confusion and forgetfulness.

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
The memory and confusion issues could be related to the anxiety, even if it has improved. Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand so could it be that you have a touch of depression as well? This can also cause issues. The medications used to treat these problems can also cause side effects which affect memory and concentration.

Other than those possibilities, if you are concerned (and clearly you are else you wouldn't have asked) it may be worth seeing your GP and explaining your concerns to them.

rcq21

Jul 12, 2016
The memory and confusion issues could be related to the anxiety, even if it has improved. Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand so could it be that you have a touch of depression as well? This can also cause issues. The medications used to treat these problems can also cause side effects which affect memory and concentration.

Other than those possibilities, if you are concerned (and clearly you are else you wouldn't have asked) it may be worth seeing your GP and explaining your concerns to them.

Yeah I have been to the doctor two months back regarding the memory issues. He says that it is all anxiety related and is nothing to worry about. He says that at such a young age, memory issues shouldn't be of much concern. However, my forgetfulness has not improved since then. But hopefully it will tend it to get better once all of the anxiety subsides.

Last edited: