POA Spitting tacks

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
Just been down to the bank to register thePOA for mum. We had applied in Oct and it was only granted a couple of weeks ago when we expidited it .
We are in Scotland . There is no code required here to register

The hospital accepted no problem

I went into my local bank branch (not mums) where i also have accounts and asked if i could do it there . No problem

So today , I attended with proof of id, the certificate , all mums details etc

Bank manager woman said it wasnt real cert , must be a copy as it wasnt embossed Cue me getting in a panic , apologising profusely and rushing home to search paperwork . I dont have another . Read front page. These certificates are no longer embossed but have a watermark .

Back to bank. she still didnt beleive me . Checking computer . Found confirmation of no embossing on line... Then said therer isnt a code, I had to tell her this was only England. Then she looked at the signatures and said she thoought this was a copy .

I got up and left ..... Phoned my soliciter . She said she is sick to death of banks refusing to accept . She will send me a letter she has drawn up for families who are having this problem confirming this is the original

Its stressful enough dealing with mum, her paperwork, running up and down to hospital etc without the bank spoiling another day

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's just horrific @cymbid.

I'm also in Scotland and although my experience is some time ago I had no problem with the POA and our bank. As you say it's stressful enough managing everything related to dementia. It sounds like you bank staff need some training - perhaps from your local Alzheimer Scotland Branch.

Maybe you cold send something like this to the manager of the branch!

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
I have POA for my brother (England,) and have been surprised how many places do not just accept the government code you can get, surely that's why the system was set up! Santander wanted full copy of POA, two pieces of ID for me and code, same with one of his pension providers. Forever at post office sending stuff tracked all extra stress and money.

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
It us so stressful. I kept it together in the bank . Got home and checked with sol I had done nothing wrong. Then sat down and burst into tears. Still upset

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It us so stressful. I kept it together in the bank . Got home and checked with sol I had done nothing wrong. Then sat down and burst into tears. Still upset

No wonder you're upset. I hope sharing here has helped you a bit - you know you're amongst those who understand.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Oh @cymbid 😢😢

I have found this whole thing the worst part of dementia care and the banks are the worst culprits. I’ve still some non registered.

My advice - email the CEO and complain about this appalling customer service. I’ve made around £750 in compensation.

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
Do today, I drove the 80 miles from my village yo where mum lives. Took exactly the same paperwork into her local bank branch. No problems. Done in 20 miins .

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
I have POA for my brother (England,) and have been surprised how many places do not just accept the government code you can get, surely that's why the system was set up! Santander wanted full copy of POA, two pieces of ID for me and code, same with one of his pension providers. Forever at post office sending stuff tracked all extra stress and money.
I was surprised that National Savings don’t accept the code - they are basically the government! Apparently their systems are too old.
The inconsistency across all organisations is frustrating - there should be a set procedure.
I also don’t get why Mum never comes up on an identity check - she is in the electoral roll, has a bank account and a mobile phone contract in her name and address (a care home). Does the care home address mean the rest doesn’t count? All extra frustration.

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
As yes, the joys of POA.

So many banks don't have a clue. Add to that they joys of representing someone who has no real ID, only a Freedom pass (despite my being POA I am frequently asked for my father's ID) and you spend all your time arguing on the phone and getting things signed at the post office.

When I had POA for my mother, the bank said brightly "well your mother can always come in". Right. This is the woman who was unable to move independently and had not left her care home for many months. Did they not think I would have had POA for a reason? The mind boggles.

Almost as good as the person who asked, in relation to a pension benefit, once we had established that my Mum had dementia, and lived in a care home "Had she done and cash in hand work?".........well of course, she does a bit of mini cabbing on the side..........good grief!

LouiseW

Oct 18, 2021
Hi,
It's appalling how POAs (and the Donors they represent) are treated with suspicion and contempt by clueless banks

My Dad's bank made a costly mistake on my Dad's account last year and rather than investigate their own mistake they choose to persecute the POAs they intimidated and bullied us when we complained to them then refused to engage with us ignoring our solicitor.

We have been investigated by the OPG (stressful and cost us a fortune in legal advice due to us not being told by the OPG investigators what allegations had been made)

After 6 months we were told by the OPG that the allegations made against us had been found to be lies so the file was closed.

No apology or acknowledgement from the bank, I had to make a formal complaint to get them to unlock Dad's bank accounts

We then had to go to the Financial ombudsman Service to claim the six figure sum that the banks mistake had cost my Dad.

The ombudsman investigator found phonecalls from the bank to the OPG where the bank told numerous lies about us so ruled in our favour.

The bank still won't accept what they did, they then manufactured a new set of lies which we were easily able to prove as untrue malicious accusations with the Ombudsman.

The matter has had to go to a senior ombudsman to make a legally binding ruling so nearly a year later, having been under investigation by one body after another constantly (and always found to be in the clear) we are still waiting to get Dad's money returned.

From talking to other families and my Dad's care home manager banks are more and more making POAs and their Donors lives a misery by freezing donor accounts and making stupid complaints to the OPG.

OPG investigations are horrible, you don't get told what you have been accused of and the amount of information they demand is invasive and very time consuming.

You are assumed guilty until they decide you are not.

Be careful , banks are quick to suspect you and will prevent you from acting as attorney by freezing the bank account then refusing to talk to you or your legal representative.

I got the impression from their tone that they were really pleased with themselves having saved an old man from their bad daughter, so arrogant as they were the ones who had made a mistake. I had done nothing wrong at all.

phill

Aug 8, 2007
I was surprised that National Savings don’t accept the code - they are basically the government! Apparently their systems are too old.
The inconsistency across all organisations is frustrating - there should be a set procedure.
I also don’t get why Mum never comes up on an identity check - she is in the electoral roll, has a bank account and a mobile phone contract in her name and address (a care home). Does the care home address mean the rest doesn’t count? All extra frustration.
If you mean NS&I (National Savings and Investments), I’m surprised, because I successfully registered my Lasting Power of Attorney with them in 2019, and had no trouble at all. From then on, all communications from them about Dad’s NS&I accounts came directly to me. I was cashing in his savings certificates as they matured, to help fund his care home fees.

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
I'm my very limited experience it depends on the bank official. The first practical accused me of fraud because she didn't know her stuff. The second was a joy to deal with as she knew the procedure

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My Mum and Dad lived in a small town, everyone knew everyone, inc the bank staff who had been there since Adam was born.

Dad passed away quite suddenly- bank was great at sorting all that out with my as his executor
Go to register the POA for mum...different story
Made ME an appointment.
They needed HER to be there- only told me that when I got there.
Abandon that appt, make another explaining that mum lacked capasity etc etc, but they duly made another appt.

Got mum there, Think blue badge, wheelchair, long push to the bank & we wait....and we wait....and we wait. No one put the new appt in the dairy, Lee was on his day off.....!

Repeat the whole performance a week later - Chucking it down with rain etc etc
In we went. Mum couldnt answer a single question ( Duh ....that why I am her POA)
Lee faffed and fluffed about, and eventually ( like 90 mins later) we got it done, mum having contributed absolutey nothing
We bid him farewell, I turned the wheelchair to push her out.....and notice the huge puddle of pee edging its way round Lee's feet under the desk.......... I really struggled not to snigger

LouiseW

Oct 18, 2021
My Mum and Dad lived in a small town, everyone knew everyone, inc the bank staff who had been there since Adam was born.

Dad passed away quite suddenly- bank was great at sorting all that out with my as his executor
Go to register the POA for mum...different story
Made ME an appointment.
They needed HER to be there- only told me that when I got there.
Abandon that appt, make another explaining that mum lacked capasity etc etc, but they duly made another appt.

Got mum there, Think blue badge, wheelchair, long push to the bank & we wait....and we wait....and we wait. No one put the new appt in the dairy, Lee was on his day off.....!

Repeat the whole performance a week later - Chucking it down with rain etc etc
In we went. Mum couldnt answer a single question ( Duh ....that why I am her POA)
Lee faffed and fluffed about, and eventually ( like 90 mins later) we got it done, mum having contributed absolutey nothing
We bid him farewell, I turned the wheelchair to push her out.....and notice the huge puddle of pee edging its way round Lee's feet under the desk.......... I really struggled not to snigger
Thanks for that it made me smile 😊

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
This made me laugh out loud this afternoon…..if only we could send a puddle to every institution who mucks us around 🤣🤣

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
If you mean NS&I (National Savings and Investments), I’m surprised, because I successfully registered my Lasting Power of Attorney with them in 2019, and had no trouble at all. From then on, all communications from them about Dad’s NS&I accounts came directly to me. I was cashing in his savings certificates as they matured, to help fund his care home fees.
Yes - their systems are too old to accept a code. You have to send the original or a certified copy by post with a cheque - so it’s doable just old fashioned.