PoA should it be this tricky.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
PoA should it be this tricky.
Very simple and staightforward, I've filled the forms in myself. Then I talk to the doctor, can you be the certificate provider-'isn't there anyone else' ' a solicitor should be drawing it up' ' if I do it I will have to come out and assess him- oh and there's the door, bye'

So I spoke to the solictor today-' I can only do it if I have a doctors letter to say he is competent,they are only meant to be done by people who are fully competent.'

Is it me?- I thought it was a simple thing and as long as they were competent at the time of signing that was all that was required.WHY IS IT BEING MADE SO STRESSFUL I want to scream!!!

So, friends have disappeared, the doctor and solicitor want me to jump through hoops
which appear to be completely unnecessary so who else is left- anyone got any advice please?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
No, it shouldn't. Doctors and solicitors are sometimes deeply ignorant about what is required. Our solicitor told me 'facts' that he had been fed at a training session for solicitors. I was able to direct him to the Office of the Public Guardian website downloads which clearly showed that he had been seriously misinformed - I should have invoiced him for my consultancy.:) People use professionals because they assume it's safer.

In fact, almost anyone who has known the 'donor' for two years can be a certificate provider. There are several posts on here where people describe the process using a friend.

Egeon

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know how different Deputyship is from PoA, but I did all the forms for this myself and succeeded in getting it.
A lot of forms but just take your time and double check everything.
I went to the doctor and she filled in a form for lack of capacity (which you need for Deputyship), no problem and she didn't charge for doing it either.
Try going to a different doctor in the practice.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I don't know how different Deputyship is from PoA, but I did all the forms for this myself and succeeded in getting it.
A lot of forms but just take your time and double check everything.
I went to the doctor and she filled in a form for lack of capacity (which you need for Deputyship), no problem and she didn't charge for doing it either.
Try going to a different doctor in the practice.

Now that is a really good idea thank you.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
No, it shouldn't. Doctors and solicitors are sometimes deeply ignorant about what is required. Our solicitor told me 'facts' that he had been fed at a training session for solicitors. I was able to direct him to the Office of the Public Guardian website downloads which clearly showed that he had been seriously misinformed - I should have invoiced him for my consultancy.:) People use professionals because they assume it's safer.
Ignorance is precisely what it seems to me. Doctor insists it should be drawn up by a solicitor, solicitor insists he can't sign it without doctors letter, why do we know and understand and they don't?

I finished up thinking I didn't know what I was doing but having spoken to the OPG I was pretty sure I did.I wasn't actually going for them from the safety point of view but because using friends has a drawback- we no longer have any! And thanks to my husbands refusal to acknowledge there is anything wrong with him, he is very particular( for want of a better word) about who knows.