PIR motion sensor advice

Cardamom

Jul 19, 2023
My husband has had episodes where he has become disorientated and wandering at night.
The memory clinic recommended a PIR motion sensor so I would know when he is awake and starting to go down the stairs in case he tried to leave the house as he has done
I have not been sleeping well for a few months since the episodes began as I felt I had to wake every time my husband went to the lavatory to check he went back to his room.
I think the PIR sensor I have been given is a good idea as it only sounds if he moves towards the stairs, but even when it is quiet , a green light flashes at regular intervals. During the day when I tested it, the flashing was not that obvious but at night it seems so bright it is waking me up. I know I cannot cover it as that would stop the signal from the sensor to the pager

I do not want to stop using it but could anyone give me some advice as to how I can reduce the green light flash.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I know I cannot cover it as that would stop the signal from the sensor to the page
Are you sure of that?
It looks more like confirmation it is on, especially important if battery operated,
Try covering it for a test.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
Perhaps put it behind the curtains or behind a dressing table mirror or such? It may then not be quite as obvious. I do this with a free standing carbon monoxide alarm, it still flashes every few minutes but isn't quite as bright.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Perhaps put it behind the curtains or behind a dressing table mirror or such? It may then not be quite as obvious
These positions will block the IR beam, movement of curtain could trigger the alarm.

Also not happy about the position of the CO monitor, with still air it could take some time for the CO to reach the monitor.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Is there anywhere else it can be placed? Can it go downstairs to react when he goes down?

Cardamom

Jul 19, 2023
Are you sure of that?
It looks more like confirmation it is on, especially important if battery operated,
Try covering it for a test.
Hi @nitram .Thank you so much for encouraging me to test the pager. Yes it still works under cover as I tried it under the duvet at the edge of the bed and it sounded when my husband left his room. The light is still flashing but not so obviously that it resembles a disco !

Cardamom

Jul 19, 2023
Is there anywhere else it can be placed? Can it go downstairs to react when he goes down?
Hi @try again Thankyou for your suggestion. I really want to stop my husband trying for the stairs to avoid falls so it has to be at the top of the landing. Luckily I tested it as ( @nitram suggested ) under part of the duvet and it still worked so hopefully that should solve the problem

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andypee