Mother withdrawing large amounts of cash

nnbq

Jun 25, 2024
My mother has started drawing out £80 in cash every 2 to 3 days. She denies this, cannot account for the money and says she is rich so she can spend it how she likes.

She gets taxis to take her to cash machines, I suspect she gives them her pin number and asks them to withdraw the cash. I also suspect she is giving excessive tips to the drivers.

I have Power of attorney so can control how much is in her current account. . I am struggling with what my responsibilities are, At what point do I intervene, it is her money so if she wants to give £20 tips in theory she can.

Am I allowed to take her bank card off her at any point?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother got to a similar stage - she would withdraw money (around £80 like your mother) and then two days later go back and withdraw more because she had forgotten she'd done it. I never knew what she did with the money, I suspect she put it somewhere 'safe' i.e. lost it. If you have POA you do need to intervene when you think she is no longer able to use her money in her own best interests.

I started arranging daily carers for her at that point. I agreed with the carers how often she would go to the bank, and how much she'd withdraw. I monitored her account so knew how much was going out. So I didn't need to take her card away.

When I registered the POA with the bank, they asked me if I wanted her to still be able to access the account herself. I said yes, but if I had said no they would have blocked her access. I think you would need to communicate with the bank, as if you simply take her card away she'll presumably just apply for a new one.