Picking skin

hubby’s carer

Dec 28, 2021
Hi, a recent new “habit” my husband has started is picking / stroking his face, sometimes on his arms. I presume it’s because he’s bored (he was a carpenter/builder) but can no longer concentrate to do most day to day things. Unable to find things automatically in the kitchen etc….

I’m ashamed to say this, but I find the picking etc irritating and sometimes it makes me feel sick. Could this be down to boredom and maybe anxiety?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Mrs John welcome to the forum.

My dad used to pick his fingers so I know how annoying it can be. He was also a carpenter and before dementia always had a project on the go. I found that giving him something to fiddle with would help. A key ring with old keys on for example. I did think about making him a fidget board but he didn’t show much enthusiasm for the idea so I would just hand him something like the keys or one of my hair ties. He normally lost them so perhaps I should have attached them to a board!

I suspect this sort of thing is probably a type of stimming or self soothing.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad used to pick his scalp and nothing I could do to stop him, his head was covered in little scabs that looked awful. He eventually stopped as his alzhiemers worsened. Horrible disease.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
I am a picker without dementia and have been for the last 60 years. (this must be what an AA meeting is like)

I pick more if I'm stressed but no matter where I am, if there's a bit of loose skin then it has to go. At times, I will move from my fingers to me toes but thankfully this is only done at home!

My family detest it but unfortunately it seems to be something that I inherited from my picker Dad.

The very worst thing that anyone can do, is to tell me to stop as this will turn my habit into an uncontrollable urge. I then HAVE to pick and try to hide this by shoving my hands under the nearest suitable thing (often a table) and hoping that nobody will notice.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi, a recent new “habit” my husband has started is picking / stroking his face, sometimes on his arms. I presume it’s because he’s bored (he was a carpenter/builder) but can no longer concentrate to do most day to day things. Unable to find things automatically in the kitchen etc….

I’m ashamed to say this, but I find the picking etc irritating and sometimes it makes me feel sick. Could this be down to boredom and maybe anxiety?
Yes, boredom and anxiety are big players in this - at least they were with my wife.

The cure for my wife required a 2 part approach. In the first instance an increase in anti-anxiety meds that were already prescribed helped. In the second place was an acknowledgement that any scabs will itch and illicit a scratch response so I applied skin thin dressings to the cuts daily. It was a hard slog!