pete not settling in to nursing home yet

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
hi all anyone had the same experience as us? any advise would be good. pete went into nursing home 3wks ago after being in mental health assessment unit for 3mths. he was supposed to go onto emi nursing unit but his room was still being decorated an new floor being laid so he went into the residential nursing unit of the same NH. he got on better in the 1st week than we had imagined an I think this was other residents weren't quite as bad as that had been in MHAU. he was quite up beat. staff are nice an when he did have a melt down seemed to be able to calm him. well manager asked us if we would like pete to stay on that unit as he seemed quite settled an we were pleased. this week he has pulled the curtons down in the lounge , hit a visitor when he has never done anything like that before and has been very agitated every day. staff said they can handle it an visitor was very good about what happened. just wondered if anyone else has had this with a family member. its just all a bit worrying an not nice to see. any advice from my TP friends appreciated. juniepoonie

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry. I've no experience to help. Hope somebdy who does along soon. Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. x

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
Sorry. I've no experience to help. Hope somebdy who does along soon. Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. x

thanks izzy! we knew it was never going to be easy just wish we can do all that's possible to help poor pete to settle. done all the usual ,photos n,nice bedding etc. he keeps asking for a carer that he got on well with in other unit an weve told him he has gone on holiday an may not be coming back. he keeps saying people are pinching his tools [he was a builder] just not settled. maybe this is all normal an we are expecting to much of him. thanks for listening. juniepoonie

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
Hi
In my limited experience it takes time.
Dad was in an EMI NH. even though we filled his room with familiar things at the end of the day this wasnt the place he had lived the last 40 years and was full of strangers. No wonder it took time to settle
He used to say he was being robbed of his clothes. We spent ages at the beginning telling him they had gone to the wash
I hope things calm down soon for Pete
Gill

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
Hi
In my limited experience it takes time.
Dad was in an EMI NH. even though we filled his room with familiar things at the end of the day this wasnt the place he had lived the last 40 years and was full of strangers. No wonder it took time to settle
He used to say he was being robbed of his clothes. We spent ages at the beginning telling him they had gone to the wash
I hope things calm down soon for Pete
Gill
thanks Gill the NH said its gonna take a while as he had settled to some extent in the other unit. Just hard I suppose to witness. My sister goes up to pete straight from work an stays 2hours then on sunday shes up there 4hours. his kids from ist marriage don't go but that's another story. I go inbetween times but this wk ive had some health problems so have stayed away.all very sad but we are all going through some sort of sadness I know. this bloody illness is just ****. sorry! juniepoonie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65