Personal Hygiene - a question - an unpleasant one.

Worriedone

Dec 10, 2011
Now that my mum has been properly diagnosed with AD, she has a helper who showers her three times a week and a lady to clean the house or iron for dad (she is 87 he is 88). I felt relieved that this has been sorted and the carer who showers mum has a lovely rapport with her and persuades her to change her clothes. (She flatly refuses or "goes deaf" when dad suggests she needs to change.
I know from other posts that cleanliness disappears with dementia but is a total lack of awareness of the need for correct use of the toilet a normal thing? She suddenly announces that she has wet herself and she never seems to clean herself properly after a bowel movement. When she dresses she sits on the bed and makes a mess with resulting extra washing.
We had them to stay for Easter to give dad a break from cooking etc. While they were here we managed to get mum to wear incontinence pants. Last night we had a call from dad to say mum had flushed the pants she had been wearing down the toilet, blocking it of course. One of mum's carers suggested that they may be entitled to free pants which would be great but not so much if this is what mum does with them.

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
Hi worrydone. I've tried with my mum to wear the pads but no luck. The mums sound they have similar problems but of course in their world they don't. I think you have to go to the gp and get the inconstant nurse involved to get the pads. Sure someone else will be along soon with more advice. lindaxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
If you haven't already done so you need to get your mum an appointment with the continence clinic or nurse. You can contact your mum's GP and ask if this can be arranged. At the clinic (or in some areas the nurse comes to the home I think) they will explore what your mum's needs are. It would, of course, be best if you were present. Not sure how your dad would react to being at something like this but if possible you could both be there. Once the assessment has been done you should be entitled to free continence products. We have an excellent service here and I get Tena products supplied for nothing for my husband. There is a standing order which I activate near each due date by either phoning or doing it on line.

I know how distressing this problem is for everyone concerned and wish you all the best in getting something arranged for your mum.

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
My mum knows when she needs the toilet, but she doesn't clean herself properly either and I have to check for bits of poo before I get her into the shower (or they end up on the shower seat). :(

She also flushed a pad or 2 down the loo at first and once even managed to rip a pad into pieces and push it down the tiny holes of the SINK. :eek:

This was a short phase, luckily. There is an open, obvious bin (with plastic bag for quick wrapping up) just by the sink/loo for putting things into. Most of the time, she forgets to put a pad on anyway and uses folded up toilet paper inside her knickers that she can of course put into the toilet.

A nurse did arrange, at the start, to have incontinence pants delivered but my mum wouldn't wear those big things. So I buy her pads in S.....y's. At least they are discreet and they mostly protect her knickers when she remembers to wear them! She doesn't often let the daily carers help her get dressed or undressed, so whether she has a pad in her knickers is a very hit-and-miss affair.

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
My Mum is having a few leaky problems and had twice not quite made it to the loo in the night. Also she was hiding soiled underwear at various locations around the house. I took the bold step of throwing out all her knickers and introducing over a period of time the pull up type incontinence pants. She adapted really well to these but they are quite expensive to buy. I was told of a wholesaler by another carer & this helped, I also found out about a special free removal service for disposal of used products provided by local council. Since then have organised a visit from the incontinence nurse who pointed out we are entitled to free products, not exactly the same as the pull up type but non the less use able, I will keep the pull ups for days out etc. Non of this info came from the professionals but was all word of mouth.....when will the nhs get a simple leaflet together to explain where to get help and get Doctors to give it out on diagnosis? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bebb