Paying for CHC out of joint account

Snowchild

Apr 19, 2023
My dad is in a nursing home and has dementia. He is bed bound and cannot communicate. He was the breadwinner and my mum was a full-time mum. He didn't qualify for CHC.
All my dad's money, pensions, go into their joint account. My mum only gets the state pension.
The social worker has told my mum to open up a separate bank account in her name.
She has never dealt with finances or bill payments or anything as when my dad was sound of mind, he took care of everything.
I am worried that if she only has her account with her pension, how is she supposed to pay for all her bills etc and home costs.
If she opens her own bank account, will she not have half of my dad's pension etc. It doesn't seem right when they've always shared everything.
He does have savings but they will soon be gone.
My mum has a meeting with the bank today and I don't want her to do anything that is going to result in her not receiving the money she is entitled too.
Please could someone help advise.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @Snowchild

Yes your mum is entitled to half of your dad’s private pensions and half of any savings held in joint accounts. It’s probably been suggested that she separates her money from to simplify things in future.

Your mum would need to divide all the accounts she shares with your dad and that then becomes her money which can’t be used for your dad’s care. If she opens her own current account she could ask divert half of your dad’s private pensions into this account. His state pension will all have to go towards the cost of his care.

Has someone got LPA for your dad?

Snowchild

Apr 19, 2023
Welcome to the forum @Snowchild

Yes your mum is entitled to half of your dad’s private pensions and half of any savings held in joint accounts. It’s probably been suggested that she separates her money from to simplify things in future.

Your mum would need to divide all the accounts she shares with your dad and that then becomes her money which can’t be used for your dad’s care. If she opens her own current account she could ask divert half of your dad’s private pensions into this account. His state pension will all have to go towards the cost of his care.

Has someone got LPA for your dad?
Thank you. That is really helpful. There is no LPA for my dad.
I am looking into deputy ships but just find it all so difficult as well as the emotions of seeing his condition getting worse etcetc. One long roller-coaster.
I do need to get things sorted though so I know my mum will also not have to worry about laying for food and heating etc