parents in care home

Kingsdaughter

Dec 27, 2020
Hello, not quite sure where to start. I guess I'm needing to talk to someone who knows something of what I'm talking about. Please forgive me as I ramble a bit, I know I will as my head is swimming with so many thoughts and emotions. I'm so tired, exhausted really. I don't sleep much. It's been a tough year for so many of us and my heart goes out to all of you who are distraught over what's happening right now.
Both my parents are in a care home. Mum went in last December after being diagnosed with dementia at the hospital. So much has happened during the last few years and it's like a nightmare.

A few years ago, mum had breast cancer. I am fully convinced the hospital made a mistake as they removed a whole breast and not a small piece. Mum was distraught. She went privately for reconstruction. Then Dad had a stroke. They were living abroad and Mum had called me and said dad was behaving silly. I spoke to him and knew what had happened. I managed to get a flight within a few hours and was there by nightfall. I had arranged for a friend to go to mum and call an ambulance. Mum was in shock when I arrived. In the morning, she knocked on my door and asked where dad was. When I said he was in hospital, she was surprised and said why hadn't I told her.
That was when I realised what I had suspected over the last year, but I put it down to shock.
I stayed and nursed dad back to health for some months. Eventually I came back home but during the next two years I was back and forth as he had more mini strokes and a few minor heart attacks.
Last year, their friend rang me and said dad was not right and I should come over.
I was shocked when I arrived. Dad was grey, pottering around the kitchen, he came out to greet me but was dithery. It was obvious he had gone through more mini strokes. Mum was pleased to see me but seemed strange. Her memory had been getting worse but she refused to see anyone and dad didn't want to make her. She couldn't remember how to crochet the squares we always made, saying she had never done them before. She couldn't do the crosswords we so loved doing together. And she seemed suspicious. I noticed her watching me as if I were guilty of something. It was very weird. One evening, I made our dinner and gave mum hers first. We were sitting in front of the tv as they usually did. I went to the kitchen to get mine and dads plates. Mum had already eaten hers and she stared at me. Looking to dad she said I hadn't made her any dinner. She was annoyed with me and sarcastically said, oh well, I will get nice and slim then. And off she went to her room.
One night, dad got up about 1am to feed the cat... I heard a heavy thud and rushed out. He had fallen and we later found out he had cracked his hip. He had to spend his time in a wheelchair while the pain eased.
It got worse over the next few weeks. Dad just shrugged his shoulders. Mum seemed to be seeing someone else in the room too. She was also convince the cleaner was moving things around. She said the ladies, although there was only one cleaner, were bringing clothes and putting them in her wardrobe. She was indignant because she didn't want their clothes. she would also roam the house at night and bang around in the kitchen at 2 o'clock in the morning. I began to lock my bedroom door when I went to bed. She thought it was me or the cleaner who had moved things and she got very irritated. She also thought I was 'the other woman'.
She started to become aggressive, snapping at me. I found I could sense when her mood was changing. We could be having a chat and suddenly her eyes would change and she would challenge me on some point. Then she would get angry and storm off. It was very draining. A few times she was so aggressive towards me I would quietly excuse myself for the afternoon and keep to my room. One day she came and asked what she had done wrong, that Dad had told her she had upset me. She was very upset and cried because she loved me and didn't want to upset me. I couldn't console her and she rushed away.
She would come and knock on the door for me to answer but there were times I pretended to be asleep. Dad was upset. One time, I was in my room and she started banging on the door, she tried to open it, then she went outside and banged on the outside. I must admit to being a little scared. Eventually, she came to the door, very subdued and asked me to come out and talk to her. When I went into the lounge, she was visibly upset. "Dad said you are my daughter. Is that true, are you my daughter?" I nodded. She began to cry. "But I don't know you. I thought you were a friend...I don't recognise you." She sat with me and sobbed her heart out, saying I would have to put her in a home... It didn't improve, there were other instances, even to her holding my dad on the bed, accusing him of wanting to put her in prison. He was very shaken.
By the end of my two month stay, I was an emotional wreck. My sister came over for a week. By the end of that week she was not in a good place. We encouraged dad to go back with her just to recuperate, just while his hip healed. He agreed to a week. We knew he wouldn't be going back.

So, they went to my sisters house for three weeks. Then she had a Halloween party and it all kicked off.
She was frightened of all the monsters etc and was hiding in a room. My sister walked in wearing her outfit and mum freaked out. They rang me and I told them to bring her to me. An hour later she was with me, crying and confused. I managed to calm her and put her to bed.
The following morning, she didn't know why she was with me but thought my house looked just like her old one. That was her remembering times she had been before. She began to ask where her husband was, why he wasn't with her. Dad stayed with my sister. Mum became more agitated. She stayed three weeks, during which time I had the dementia crises team to visit. They diagnosed dementia and gave her some tablets to help her sleep. Three days later, she freaked out. Thinking we were kidnappers, intent on 'doing her damage', she became another person. She thought she was a young girl, a teenager maybe. We tried to show her photos but she didn't recognise them as her.
Suddenly, she jumped from her chair, grabbed a glass vase and tried to hit me over the head. My son grabbed her by the waist as she screamed. She clawed him and kicked him so I said we needed to get her to the ground so she wouldn't hurt herself or us. The screams were terrifying. Talking did nothing as she thought we were attacking her and she was trying to escape. My son had to restrain her. We called the police and had them take her to hospital, where we met up with them. By that time, mum had calmed down and threw her arms around me. She was so pleased to see me. She thought burglars had come into her house and attacked her. For about an hour, she was normal, then she flipped again and hid from us with the nurses. we had to leave her and go home.
She was in hospital for three weeks. They never treated her for delusions, but for adverse reaction to the drugs. They diagnosed dementia.
My sister and dad booked her into a care home at Christmas 2019.
He went every day to be with her but each time he went home to my sisters house, she thought 'the other woman' was taking him home with her. She raged. She also thought the female staff were his girlfriends and was physically aggressive to them.
Dad moved in when lockdown began, so she wouldn't be alone. From April, he was hospitalised six times. He had three falls, 8 staples in his head and both hips operated on. Each stay was 2 weeks, followed by 2 weeks quarantine. The last one was the last time he saw mum. That was four months ago.
I think the staff found it easier for them to be apart...
Dad is fading. His memory is going. His strokes mean he has bleeds which will continue until the last one.
Mum thinks she's been abandoned in prison. She is very upset when I zoom call, begging me to come and rescue her. I have had two half hour visits in the garden and a half hour visit behind a Perspex screen. She cannot cope with the screen. When she first saw me, she rushed to hug me and hit the screen. She looks grey, her skin is flaking and dry. Her eyes are puffy and sad. She says she had a house, furniture, clothes, but they have all been taken from her, that she has nothing, she is in a prison, not allowed to go outside, to go shopping. She is not allowed to see me or hug me.... She says she is not a bad person, that she wouldn't hurt anyone, and can't understand why she is locked in a prison, or why her family don't visit her or want her anymore.
For thirty years, mum and dad lived abroad. For the last fifteen, they have lived an isolated life in the countryside, atop a small hill. Mum lost the use of her car and resented being so alone. It wore her down. I can't help but wonder if that didn't cause her condition.
I keep thinking she has been wrongly diagnosed. It feels like I have abandoned her like she says. I want desperately to help her, to make her happy.
These unlawful lockdowns have ben wickedly cruel on so many people. To be denied contact with family, is so very wrong. So many are dying from broken hearts, from loneliness. We can't go and check on them, or find out how they are being treated. We can't go and hug them and comfort them.
I am at a loss to know what to do. I have rambled on as I knew I would. Thank you for allowing me this time, this space to pour out my heart. I love my parents and I miss them terribly, as do so many others.
I am so sad for all of you who are suffering x

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Perfectly normal to beat yourself up, please try and remember why she is there,
You are doing your absolute best for them both, even if it sent what she wants, she doesn't know what she wants . You cannot ale her back to a time pre dementia, that s where she wants to be and it's impossible .

Hang on n there , its so bloomin' hard xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry to read your story @Kingsdaughter . I wish that people who think that dementia just means getting a bit forgetful could read it. This whole idea of "living well with dementia" and depicting a sweet little old lady looking trustingly at their carer really annoys me. The reality is as you have depicted it.

As @Jessbow says, your mum doesnt know what she is asking for. She is unable to understand the reality of her situation. Asking to "go home" is classic dementia. If you asked her where her home is or what it is like, I would bet that it isnt the home she moved there from. Quite often it is a childhood home. Its not really about an actual place, you see. If you took her back to the home she wants to go she would probably not recognise it and there are many, many people up and down the country asking to "go home" when they are actually sat in their own home. What they want, you see, is to go to a place where they can leave the confusion of dementia behind and find comfort and safety. Many people with dementia realise that there is confusion, but think that it is the place that they are living that is causing it. My mum used to think that if she went out, she would leave the dementia behind, not realising that where ever she went, she would simply take it with her. Your mum may not be happy where ever she lives.

We all want our loved ones to be happy, well looked after and safe. Sometimes we have to settle for well looked after and safe.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Kingsdaughter . I'm sorry you and your family have been through such an awful time. There are lots of us out here who have been through similar situations, so please don't feel alone. I understand how traumatic it is to see a parent in such a state. This nightmare side of dementia is seldom seen in public or even spoken about but you are among friends here. No need to apologise for rambling!

On a practical front, does the care home carry out regular medication reviews? My mum (who I had to move from one home due to "challenging behaviour") has often been very aggressive, occasionally violent, distraught, completely out of control to be honest, has really benefited from regular med's reviews and advice from the community psychiatric/dementia nurse, so I recommend your checking with the care home manager about that. I have sometimes had to nag about med's reviews but have always been glad that I did. I am assuming that the staff are always on the look out for urine infections, which can go undetected for some time and can cause delirium. Hopefully the staff also note whether anything in particular causes your mum distress, such as personal care or mealtimes and look at ways in which they can change the way things are done, or the time at which they are done, to help your mum be calm. Are there times when she is calmer/happier?

I am not a fan of Zoom type calls. I tried one with mum at the care-home's suggestion but she was far too confused and distressed by it to try again. I have sent her cards and small gifts by post every week during the restrictions so she knows I am thinking of her and leave messages with the staff to pass on. Is your mum equally distressed by a conventional 'phone call?

This is all extremely difficult stuff, particularly with your father having so many problems at the same time, so keep posting for advice and support.

Kingsdaughter

Dec 27, 2020
Hello @Kingsdaughter . I'm sorry you and your family have been through such an awful time. There are lots of us out here who have been through similar situations, so please don't feel alone. I understand how traumatic it is to see a parent in such a state. This nightmare side of dementia is seldom seen in public or even spoken about but you are among friends here. No need to apologise for rambling!

On a practical front, does the care home carry out regular medication reviews? My mum (who I had to move from one home due to "challenging behaviour") has often been very aggressive, occasionally violent, distraught, completely out of control to be honest, has really benefited from regular med's reviews and advice from the community psychiatric/dementia nurse, so I recommend your checking with the care home manager about that. I have sometimes had to nag about med's reviews but have always been glad that I did. I am assuming that the staff are always on the look out for urine infections, which can go undetected for some time and can cause delirium. Hopefully the staff also note whether anything in particular causes your mum distress, such as personal care or mealtimes and look at ways in which they can change the way things are done, or the time at which they are done, to help your mum be calm. Are there times when she is calmer/happier?

I am not a fan of Zoom type calls. I tried one with mum at the care-home's suggestion but she was far too confused and distressed by it to try again. I have sent her cards and small gifts by post every week during the restrictions so she knows I am thinking of her and leave messages with the staff to pass on. Is your mum equally distressed by a conventional 'phone call?

This is all extremely difficult stuff, particularly with your father having so many problems at the same time, so keep posting for advice and support.
hello Lemonbalm, thank you for your encouraging words.
I have asked about meds but although they say they will put it in the book or pass the message on etc, I dont think they always do and things certainly seem to be missed. She has had a UTI before and was delirious. She went to hospital overnight. Plus with this lockdown the dr doesnt seem eager to visit. The dementia worker went in and assumed I would be there, but of course I'm not allowed. She didnt even know dad was in the same building.
My son suggested I send another email. I shall include the points you mention.
Mum is so distressed most times as she is convinced her husband has abandoned her. He was everything to her and to have that last comfort removed has made her very bitter. She is not keen on personal hygiene either. The staff have tried to encourage her but it seems she is reluctant. As it was dad and my sister who brought her in, the staff tend to contact her, even when dad had another fall and the paramedics were called in. It was two days before I found out he had been injured.
I used to use the telephone to call them both but dad can't use it now and mum gets confused at why she cant see me. I have sent her cards and small gifts but it seems they just make her miss me more and convinces her that i dont want to come in. Staff have said she is distressed when I call but perks up afterwards, yet I have glimpsed her sometimes, when a carer takes the IPAD to her, just before they reach her and she seems depressed, unsociable.
Mealtimes she associates with family and as her family isnt there, it makes her irritable and sad so she doesnt want to eat. We had an incident yesterday when she was holding the IPAD and the carers came to take it away as it was lunch time. They apruptly said You've had half an hour and its lunchtime anyway... Mum became touchy and told them to go away as she was speaking to her daughter and didnt want lunch. I think, when you can't go in and check, your mind runs away with all sorts of things. I asked to talk with one of the carers about dementis last week, I was told I could look it up online... They didn't call back either.
I just wish she was more peaceful. She was on tabs to calm her but they said it wouldnt be long term as it could cause a stroke. Maybe she has been taken off. I must email today.
Its so good to be able to talk like this. Thank you for listening.
I know its happening to so many people but it doesn't make it any easier. I heard of a lady who wrapped her mums cardigan around her, went to sit in the garden and cried. That set me off for the day, it's so very sad.

Kingsdaughter

Dec 27, 2020
Im so sorry to read your story @Kingsdaughter . I wish that people who think that dementia just means getting a bit forgetful could read it. This whole idea of "living well with dementia" and depicting a sweet little old lady looking trustingly at their carer really annoys me. The reality is as you have depicted it.

As @Jessbow says, your mum doesnt know what she is asking for. She is unable to understand the reality of her situation. Asking to "go home" is classic dementia. If you asked her where her home is or what it is like, I would bet that it isnt the home she moved there from. Quite often it is a childhood home. Its not really about an actual place, you see. If you took her back to the home she wants to go she would probably not recognise it and there are many, many people up and down the country asking to "go home" when they are actually sat in their own home. What they want, you see, is to go to a place where they can leave the confusion of dementia behind and find comfort and safety. Many people with dementia realise that there is confusion, but think that it is the place that they are living that is causing it. My mum used to think that if she went out, she would leave the dementia behind, not realising that where ever she went, she would simply take it with her. Your mum may not be happy where ever she lives.

We all want our loved ones to be happy, well looked after and safe. Sometimes we have to settle for well looked after and safe.
Hello Canary, thank you for your encouragement. I have never had dementia explained that way before. I wish there was a way for them to leave the confusion of dementia behind. I think of your mum, thinking she could leave it behind, thats very sad. I wish mum felt at home where she is but shes so desperately unhappy. We are hoping to move in the near future, hopefully so its more convenient to reach where my sister has put her. We have thought of finding somewhere more homey when we do, somewhere she actually feels at home. Now she walks around with her boots on, her handbag and coat, as if shes waiting to leave. Its heartbreaking when she says she only wanted a little house and a garden.
I live in hope shes been misdiagnosed and theres a remedy waiting. Cant let it go just yet. I've lost so much family these last five years and both mum and dad together, is too much to lose right now. I know I'm probably wrong, but what if...

Kingsdaughter

Dec 27, 2020
Perfectly normal to beat yourself up, please try and remember why she is there,
You are doing your absolute best for them both, even if it sent what she wants, she doesn't know what she wants . You cannot ale her back to a time pre dementia, that s where she wants to be and it's impossible .

Hang on n there , its so bloomin' hard xx
Thank you, yes, it is bloomin hard :(
I think I need an absolute certainty that its dementia and not something brought on by being isolated for so long.
I just want to make it right and I cant. I dont like 'impossible', its so final.
Yes, although she knows she doesnt want to be there, she wants to be anywhere else but there. She begs and says she will come and do all my cleaning... Its then that I see the look in her eyes. Its a scheming look, a look that is trying to escape and use any means to do so. How do you get through this, how do you live with it. I know she cant live with me, that would be 'impossible'. I would be frightened she would see me as a murderer and try to kill me.
Its dreadful isnt it. This is my mum, my friend. We had such plans. So distressing for everyone. Bless you for your encouragement x

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I live in hope shes been misdiagnosed and theres a remedy waiting. Cant let it go just yet. I've lost so much family these last five years and both mum and dad together, is too much to lose right now. I know I'm probably wrong, but what if...
Unfortunately, although it is only natural to hope for the best, you will need to come to terms with the harsh reality that dementia is incurable and from what you have said there does not seem to be much chance that your mum will get better. The thing to focus on is doing the best you can for her, to make sure she is cared for, comfortable, and has the right medical treatment to minimise her distress. She may be much calmer when you're not with her in the care home. People do get used to living in one. It may be more unsettling to move her to a different home. The best home might be one that is used to care for patients with her issues rather than the one with the nicest furniture!

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I quite understand you want the diagnosis to be wrong, because if it is, all hope is not lost. You may be lucky..... but probably not.
The harsh reality is that you could buy a lovely homely house, with a nice garden, and your mum will visit.... and want to go home. It is the way of it. Dementia does not do reason or logic. You could provide your mum with exactly what she says she wants, and it will not make her happy.

As others have said, push for a medication review. Anti depressants and anti psychotics may well lighten her mood.

If you decide to move her to a different care home, please remember that much of what you see will be for your benefit, and not necessarily your mother's. Will she use a gym, or a cinema room, or a choice of 3 dining rooms? Does she care if the decor is colour co-ordinated? Is the home more like a country hotel, with lots of little nooks and crannies? Great, your mum can get lost all the time! You need to look at it through your mum's eyes. Is everything bright and simply laid out, so she can find her way without help? Leave your heart at the door, and put your practical head on.

And, yes, it's bloody hard, so keep posting!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I live in hope shes been misdiagnosed and theres a remedy waiting. Cant let it go just yet.
We've all been there - hoping against hope that they are wrong, trying to make it right, to fix things, to hold onto the person that they once were and feeling guilty that you cant do it.
Eventually, though, there is no denying. You have to let go of the person they once were and accept the person they are now. Dementia is indeed final and there is no escaping it. Im sorry.

On a lighter note - when there was a time that I couldnt visit mum I used to send picture postcards with a simple message saying that I loved her and would see her soon. The picture postcards were the sort that people used to send when they were on holiday and mum thought this was the reason that I hadnt visited, so she was content with that. You might find this works better than sending cards.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
We've all been there - hoping against hope that they are wrong, trying to make it right, to fix things, to hold onto the person that they once were and feeling guilty that you cant do it.
Eventually, though, there is no denying. You have to let go of the person they once were and accept the person they are now. Dementia is indeed final and there is no escaping it. Im sorry.

On a lighter note - when there was a time that I couldnt visit mum I used to send picture postcards with a simple message saying that I loved her and would see her soon. The picture postcards were the sort that people used to send when they were on holiday and mum thought this was the reason that I hadnt visited, so she was content with that. You might find this works better than sending cards.
Or you could try Touchnote postcards. You can put photos of you or the family on them . They are excellent quality. My daughter used to send photos of her son to his great Grandma . She enjoyed receiving them and could show them to the other residents.

Kingsdaughter

Dec 27, 2020

I will try that, thank you. She did say last week that she had a card in her room with her name on it, but it made her sad because thats all she had left. Sometimes it seems whatever you do, will never be enough.
I was wondering, mum forgets what we've said within half an hour or so, sometimes less. She asks me to come and take her home, so to make her happy in that moment, I say we will sort it all out and see each other very soon. She asks to have her own house or to live with me, and although I know she cant, I say we will sort it. She seems happier when I do this, it seems to give her hope. The carers say she forgets in a short while so I see it as a happier time for us for a few moments. However, a dementia crises lady said I should tell her that this was her home and where she was to stay now. It seems such a cruel thing to say when mum seems happier when we play the game of a future together, just as we have done for years. I hope I'm doing the right thing by agreeing with her, after all, if she forgets in a short while, does it really matter? I feel that if I spend our precious moments telling her she has to stay there, making her cry or angry, it it cruel and makes things worse.

I was listening to a doctor recently and he was speaking on misdiagnosis of dementia, that most can be cured or at least eased. I'm not yet at the point of accepting dementia, not unless I have researched other avenues first. I suppose everyone does this.
Thank you for encouraging me, it really is helping x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
However, a dementia crises lady said I should tell her that this was her home and where she was to stay now.
I agree that this is cruel. They may not remember what has happened, but they remember the emotions, so its important to provide comfort to them. There is a gap between their perception of reality and actual reality. You will not be able to bring them back into actual reality, so you have to enter theirs. If you have to be "economical with the truth" so be it. This is known as Therapeutic Untruths, or on here as "love lies" and it is a major tool in your tool-box.

Kingsdaughter

Dec 27, 2020
I quite understand you want the diagnosis to be wrong, because if it is, all hope is not lost. You may be lucky..... but probably not.
The harsh reality is that you could buy a lovely homely house, with a nice garden, and your mum will visit.... and want to go home. It is the way of it. Dementia does not do reason or logic. You could provide your mum with exactly what she says she wants, and it will not make her happy.

As others have said, push for a medication review. Anti depressants and anti psychotics may well lighten her mood.

If you decide to move her to a different care home, please remember that much of what you see will be for your benefit, and not necessarily your mother's. Will she use a gym, or a cinema room, or a choice of 3 dining rooms? Does she care if the decor is colour co-ordinated? Is the home more like a country hotel, with lots of little nooks and crannies? Great, your mum can get lost all the time! You need to look at it through your mum's eyes. Is everything bright and simply laid out, so she can find her way without help? Leave your heart at the door, and put your practical head on.

And, yes, it's bloody hard, so keep posting!
You made me smile, thank you.
Where she is, there is a circular walkway all the way around the downstairs. Its not large but it gives a walk from the reception, past the dining room, through a corridor where there are a few chairs, past the doors into the enclosed courtyard and past the bedrooms back to reception. Its clean and airy with windows that look onto the garden. One day, when we were visiting, mum and I took a stroll around this circuit. We passed the door to the courtyard and began to make our way round to the bedrooms. She began to get agitated and said we had better get back as she didnt know where she was. It suprised me at the time because it seemed such a short walk. You are right, she would get lost in nooks and crannies.
It just saddens me that she locks herself in her room so much. But I suppose thats her safe place and I know she can spend hours going through her bag.
Leave my heart at the door. Yes, it seems very cold but I know you are right. I just want her to be less distressed. I am due to speak with the senior today, to discuss her meds. I hope I can be less emotional and be practical as you say. thanks x

Kingsdaughter

Dec 27, 2020
I agree that this is cruel. They may not remember what has happened, but they remember the emotions, so its important to provide comfort to them. There is a gap between their perception of reality and actual reality. You will not be able to bring them back into actual reality, so you have to enter theirs. If you have to be "economical with the truth" so be it. This is known as Therapeutic Untruths, or on here as "love lies" and it is a major tool in your tool-box.
I like that, therapeutic untruths or love lies. That sounds so much kinder than the brutal facts. .
thank you

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I feel that if I spend our precious moments telling her she has to stay there, making her cry or angry, it it cruel and makes things worse.

Goodness me yes. Making every moment as happy as possible is definitely the way to go, I agree. Hard work!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinaRose