Overwhelmed

Lesley Mary

Aug 17, 2022
Hello, my husband is 66, he was diagnosed with young onset Alzheimer’s dementa 3 years ago having first been assessed 8 years earlier. In other words he’s been struggling with this horrendous disease for a long time. I’m his sole carer, although he does now attend a day centre for 2 days a week. This gives me a break and gives him a sense or purpose. He thinks he’s going to work. I’m overwhelmed with caring responsibilities - caring for him, my young grandchildren (youngest being 3 years old) and my mum whose also increasingly confused and disoriented. I’m also still trying to work as a self-employed school adviser and consultant (part time). It’s all too much. I’m finishing work altogether at the end of July, but I’m not state pension age yet. I’ve come on this forum for help and support, but if I’m honest I find it a bit clunky and difficult to navigate. Not sure it’s something I can persevere with as I just don’t have the time. My husband needs help with everything, from getting up in the morning, washing, dressing, teeth brushing, following instructions, knowing which his phone from his wallet, his name, my name, how to take his tablets etc etc. We’ve been married for 12 years, so we’ve had to have difficult conversations about sex and sleeping arrangements. There’s so much to think about when you’re relatively young and either have dementia or are caring for someone with dementia. I don’t have any questions for others on here. I’m just sounding off! 🙂

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @Lesley Mary. I`m sorry you find it difficult to navigate. It`s like most new activities, they do take some getting used to and I hope you will persevere. It`s been a valuable source of support and information for so many of us.

It might help if you start your own Thread in the section I have a partner with dementia which is here;

or

younger people with dementia and their carers, which is here;

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sound off all you like, all here to help if we can.
My wife got early onset, more than 12 years ago, passed away not long back so on my own and miss her more than I can say. Take care. K

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
Sound off all you like, all here to help if we can.
My wife got early onset, more than 12 years ago, passed away not long back so on my own and miss her more than I can say. Take care. K
It’s wonderful you miss her would you be happier to have her & still be caring for her I’m finding life quite hard as I can’t drive as I’ve broken my hand And to be honest very sorry for myself But I still love my husband so much but hate this new life what coping mechanisms did you have

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It’s wonderful you miss her would you be happier to have her & still be caring for her I’m finding life quite hard as I can’t drive as I’ve broken my hand And to be honest very sorry for myself But I still love my husband so much but hate this new life what coping mechanisms did you have
Love, I did it for because I know she would have been there for me too.
Same with my mum, she came to help me look after my wife I miss them both more than I can say but until I join them I'll just keep annoying all those who post on here, thank you all. K

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
Love, I did it for because I know she would have been there for me too.
Same with my mum, she came to help me look after my wife I miss them both more than I can say but until I join them I'll just keep annoying all those who post on here, thank you all. K
It must be so hard for you Do your children live nearby I’m sure everyone is grateful for all your advice I know I am x