1. kazb

    kazb Registered User

    Aug 1, 2015
    Hi all, i was so looking forward to meeting the dementia nurse and social worker today, but so dissapointed.
    I asked what i was entitled to once they finished me from work on Ill Health and the social worker said make an appointment with CAB.
    I was hoping they would help me, but it looks like yet again i am on my own except other than this site and you kind people.
    They said they would see me in 18 mths for a Follow up.
    The only help i have asked for since i was diagnosed is finiancial as once i lose my job, i wont have any-money coming in,other than husbands wages, which wont help pay all the bills etc.
    I didnt ask to have this horrid disease of Alzheimers and to be finished from my beloved nursing job. I cannot even claim my pension as not worked in the job long enough.
    So So Confused and actually scared.
  2. BeckyJan

    BeckyJan Registered User

    Nov 28, 2005
    I am sorry to hear this and the SW obviously was not very helpful. However I do think it was good advice to go to the CAB as there they probably know more about the benefits. Also generally they are good at helping with form filling etc.

    Also you could ring our helpline as they are very familiar with this sort of thing.
    Their details are here:

    I hope that helps.
  3. stanleypj

    stanleypj Registered User

    Dec 8, 2011
    North West
  4. Kevinl

    Kevinl Registered User

    Aug 24, 2013
    Hi Kaz
    My wife is still on the old system of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Mobility Allowance but this system is being scrapped and the new system is called Personal Independence Payments (PIPs). I've put the link to the government website where it is explained and where you can start making a claim.
    Your partner may be able to claim Carers Allowance but not it they earn over £110 a week (I think is the new figure).
    As far as I'm aware a diagnosis of AZ is pretty much an guarantee you'll get PIP.
    I really don't know if you can apply for ESA too but I don't see why not.
    I don't know if some one of working age or indeed a carer who's had to give up work can get ESA.

  5. kazb

    kazb Registered User

    Aug 1, 2015
    Thank you so much for all your kind help.
  6. kingybell

    kingybell Registered User

    Feb 3, 2015
    Apply for pip you will need to go for a medical assessment with atol and also apply for ESA. We had 2 lovely people come round from benefits care team to fill in. Appoint someone as your appointed person too (they will need to be interviewed). Once these have gone through you can also apply for a carers allowance too and this will be paid to you. My mil gets all her benefits paid to her so keeps independent. She is on the highest of allowances and gets about £1,300 in total per month.

    Until I started sorting it out she was only getting £260 per month to live on.
    Get someone to fill the forms in as they are lengthy
  7. kingybell

    kingybell Registered User

    Feb 3, 2015
    By the way before this I'd never claimed a benefit for me or anyone in my life so this was a whole new experience and became a full time very frustrating job. Please don't do it alone and if you want to apply for a carer allowance you can but you choose how you spend it and who you spend it on. My mil uses hers for taxis as she's forgotten the bus routes to anywhere now.
  8. kazb

    kazb Registered User

    Aug 1, 2015
    Thank you all very kindly xx
  9. kazb

    kazb Registered User

    Aug 1, 2015

    Hi All you kind people,sorry not been on for a week or so, having such a bad time with the medication, decided to stop it and feeling much better.
    Update on the PIP form,i filled this in by myself as couldn't get an appointment at CAB and as you know the nurse/SW couldn't help me.
    It took me over 2 weeks to do it all, but i did and not sure if it was correct, but no going back now. I sent it off this monday in the envelope they provided. Just got a text from DWP and it says they have received the PIP2 form and will be contacted by a HP if i need to attend a consultation and will be in 16 wks.
    Can i ask you lovely people, do you think
    1) i will have to attend a consultation
    2) if i do how long have people been waiting for this in manchester area ?.

    I sent consultant letters and GP's that i had re-disease and appointments and meds/Spec scan results ??.
    My Gp told me to start doing a daily diary for him and he wants to see me in a month. will this help,when i go for assessment with them.
    So scared of going if i have to,from what i have heard its awful. will need to go through applying for ESA soon as just awaiting work giving me a leave date on ill health.
    Can i get sick notes from GP and send them to DWP once i get finished from work as wont have any money coming in ??.
  10. Sue J

    Sue J Registered User

    Dec 9, 2009

    Hi Kazb

    Well done!!! on getting through the forms, it is no mean feat when you haven't got problems let alone when you have.

    I hope you don't have to go for an assessment and you can ask for a home visit if that is easier for you, they may want your GP to verify that the latter would be better for you.

    You should continue to send GP sick notes in until DWP tell you you no longer need to, well that's how it worked for me.

    I was told to do daily diaries but something I just couldn't do but if you have someone in your family who could perhaps help you to keep some record of the challenges, difficulties you face each day that would help.

    Easier said than done but try not to worry about the outcome, any benefit you are awarded will be backdated to the date of your claim.

    All the best to you
  11. kazb

    kazb Registered User

    Aug 1, 2015
    :) thankyou sue
  12. Spamar

    Spamar Registered User

    Oct 5, 2013
    The worst thing I found was remembering all the things that I have done for several years, now take for granted. I have arthritis + other things, by the way. I found the the consultation easy, just told it like it was on worst case scenario. The gp must have done a comprehensive report!
    I've just changed from DLA to PIP, by the way..
  13. kazb

    kazb Registered User

    Aug 1, 2015

    So i received a automated text, telling me they have received my PIP form,this was about 3 wks ago. Scared of the assessment as heard some horrid things.
    Also work phoned as suppose to be in work on 14th sep,asked me to go GP and get sick note. So did this and he gave me one for 2 months,he was really nice.
    Also kindly asked me if i wanted to do a fitness 12 week course at local gym while i am off work,said it will help me and gives me 50% off all gym/swimming etc.
    Of course said yes, sister will take me as had to give up my driving licence.
    Actually have something to look forward to other than sitting at home watching TV and doing nothing.
    Can anyone help with what they may ask me at PIP interview/medical as getting very stressed out.
    When i get my finish date from work will apply to go on ESA,i am so scared of this assessment also..... Any help on these 2 assessments would be kindly accepted.
  14. Chuggalug

    Chuggalug Registered User

    Mar 24, 2014
    Kazb: I've been through the PIP assessment. A lovely lady came to my home to do it, and not only did we go through all the health questions; we laughed and chatted as well. It lasts for about an hour and you may be asked to show them how you can move, or not. There is absolutely nothing to be scared of during the assessment/interview. Just a list of health questions. If you've kept a copy of your original form, read through it and it'll show you the kinds of questions you are likely to be asked.

    I kept getting called a 'darling'! That caused much laughter, as I made a bit of a joke of it. My assessor had the type of humour I have, which made the whole thing a pleasure. I truly hope you find your interview to be of an equally high standard.
  15. NanLorac

    NanLorac Registered User

    May 14, 2012
    Kazb, my husband was 61 when he stopped work and got ESA and DLA (now PIP) It is such a stressful time going though the motions, but at the end of the day you are entitled to both benefits and it will be back dated to the day you applied. Once you get the PIP then contact your council for a reduction in your council tax.
  16. kazb

    kazb Registered User

    Aug 1, 2015
    Thank you

    Orr you are so kind.
    May i ask what questions did they ask you. I havent asked for a home visit ,so my son will be taking me tot he assessment.
  17. Kevinl

    Kevinl Registered User

    Aug 24, 2013
    I don't think they ask any specific questions, it seemed to me more like they get the facts like what's wrong, and what your family situation is then tell you what benefits you're entitled to. I think it's more and exercise to check you're not fiddling them.
    They ask a few questions about finances (and that's your finances not your partners) it's really just a box ticking waste of time the facts are the facts and you should get what you're entitled to without a problem.
    All I would say is tell them how it is, don't overplay your hand.
    My wife has an issue admitting her limitations and in truth it must a very hard thing to do possibly the hardest, but just tell it how it is and it'll be fine.
  18. kazb

    kazb Registered User

    Aug 1, 2015
    Thank you again

    Hi All you lovely kind hearted people.
    So i contacted ATOS today to ask when my assessment was going to be as son asked me to. A nice man told me that i dont have to attend an assessment as the form with all the medical paper-work was enough for them to make a dissission. He said it had all gone back to DWP on the 23rd, so they will contact me.
    I phoned while my son was here to DWP and they said they had not received anything as yet, but to ring back Monday as they should have then.
    Will keep you informed on what happens. But do you think i will have to attend a medical with ESA ??. Or if i send enough information in again, might they be kind ???
  19. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    Im afraid I dont know what their criteria is, but I know they dont always ask for an interview as my OH got ESA without one.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.