Oh what a Knight

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It is shortly after noon and I’ve just finished the breakfast dishes after finally getting some sleep after a long night. Knight our greyhound was very excited when visitors called the day before yesterday, even going so far as to bark, a very rare occurrence. I suspected at the time that he might have banged into something. He seemed alright that night but the next morning came downstairs quite slowly (ie not jumping the last 3 stairs) and seemed to be limping slightly. After I got back from a day's cycling the carer (and my wife) told me that he was definitely limping and had turned for home when they were out with him. I checked his paws and then up his left leg and he gave a squeal. He seemed increasingly uncomfortable when walking about and even getting settled down seemed to give him some distress. My wife kept repeating that we should get ‘the doctor’ to do a house call, which did nothing for my anxiety so I decided to phone the out of hours vet (at our normal practice). We were advised to take him for a checkup straightaway rather than to wait for an appointment the next day. I had to help him climb into the car and out again at the vets. During the 15 minute journey my wife must have asked at least 15 times where we were going.

The vet soon confirmed that the dog has a sore elbow on his left foreleg, but with no swelling evident she felt that it was unlikely to be a fracture. She gave him a syringe worth of an opiate to help with his pain and a course of painkillers for the next 7 days. My wife remembers none of this. The vet advised that Knight should avoid walks and going up or down stairs so, after his final toilet break last night, I tried to get him settled down in the kitchen. From upstairs I could hear what appeared to be a locomotive as Knight developed a reaction to his medication that left him standing panting. As it was not stopping I rang the vet for advice. On hearing the panting she said that this was something that sometimes happened, would do him no harm, and should subside approximately 8 hours after the time the medication was administered.

I did not want to leave him until it subsided so sat in the kitchen whilst he stood in the corridor, his tongue a mile long and his ribs going in and out with each rapid pant. My wife was upstairs ready for bed but came down after about 40 minutes, having put on additional clothes, and refused to go to bed again or to sit down. Her commentary about the ‘doctor’ coming back, my lack of attention to the dog, her love for him, and wanting to say goodbye (as he was dying) and so on did nothing for my own mood. She was at the same time surprised to hear that there was anything wrong. The dog stopped panting about 4am and we went to bed. Not for long though as he started to whimper and howl at the injustice of being left alone in the kitchen. I went to calm him down and eventually got to bed about 5, only to be woken by my wife getting dressed before 8. Knight had by then made his way upstairs so we caught up on our sleep until about 10:30, whilst she did whatever she does (involving lots of kitchen roll and the grate in the living room this time).

Knight now looks back to his normal self, though still limping a bit. As he can stand for hours on end this suggests that nothing is broken. I have a course of pain killers to give him and he had one with his breakfast this morning. Trying to get my wife to take any of this in is a lost cause.

We now need to take the dog out for a toilet break before going to the shops but before that I want my wife to change out of her nightwear, over which she has added tops, jumpers and coats, and the pair of non-matching shoes (one black, one blue) that she is wearing. She claims that they are a pair and that she has no others.

A very long post about a dog, you may think but at heart it is about how lonely and difficult it becomes when dementia means that one's partner is no longer able to understand, empathise or support. Hence the things that they say and do just add to the stress one is already feeling and the whole situation just seems so much worse. Not unfamiliar to others I guess.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
It is shortly after noon and I’ve just finished the breakfast dishes after finally getting some sleep after a long night. Knight our greyhound was very excited when visitors called the day before yesterday, even going so far as to bark, a very rare occurrence. I suspected at the time that he might have banged into something. He seemed alright that night but the next morning came downstairs quite slowly (ie not jumping the last 3 stairs) and seemed to be limping slightly. After I got back from a day's cycling the carer (and my wife) told me that he was definitely limping and had turned for home when they were out with him. I checked his paws and then up his left leg and he gave a squeal. He seemed increasingly uncomfortable when walking about and even getting settled down seemed to give him some distress. My wife kept repeating that we should get ‘the doctor’ to do a house call, which did nothing for my anxiety so I decided to phone the out of hours vet (at our normal practice). We were advised to take him for a checkup straightaway rather than to wait for an appointment the next day. I had to help him climb into the car and out again at the vets. During the 15 minute journey my wife must have asked at least 15 times where we were going.

The vet soon confirmed that the dog has a sore elbow on his left foreleg, but with no swelling evident she felt that it was unlikely to be a fracture. She gave him a syringe worth of an opiate to help with his pain and a course of painkillers for the next 7 days. My wife remembers none of this. The vet advised that Knight should avoid walks and going up or down stairs so, after his final toilet break last night, I tried to get him settled down in the kitchen. From upstairs I could hear what appeared to be a locomotive as Knight developed a reaction to his medication that left him standing panting. As it was not stopping I rang the vet for advice. On hearing the panting she said that this was something that sometimes happened, would do him no harm, and should subside approximately 8 hours after the time the medication was administered.

I did not want to leave him until it subsided so sat in the kitchen whilst he stood in the corridor, his tongue a mile long and his ribs going in and out with each rapid pant. My wife was upstairs ready for bed but came down after about 40 minutes, having put on additional clothes, and refused to go to bed again or to sit down. Her commentary about the ‘doctor’ coming back, my lack of attention to the dog, her love for him, and wanting to say goodbye (as he was dying) and so on did nothing for my own mood. She was at the same time surprised to hear that there was anything wrong. The dog stopped panting about 4am and we went to bed. Not for long though as he started to whimper and howl at the injustice of being left alone in the kitchen. I went to calm him down and eventually got to bed about 5, only to be woken by my wife getting dressed before 8. Knight had by then made his way upstairs so we caught up on our sleep until about 10:30, whilst she did whatever she does (involving lots of kitchen roll and the grate in the living room this time).

Knight now looks back to his normal self, though still limping a bit. As he can stand for hours on end this suggests that nothing is broken. I have a course of pain killers to give him and he had one with his breakfast this morning. Trying to get my wife to take any of this in is a lost cause.

We now need to take the dog out for a toilet break before going to the shops but before that I want my wife to change out of her nightwear, over which she has added tops, jumpers and coats, and the pair of non-matching shoes (one black, one blue) that she is wearing. She claims that they are a pair and that she has no others.

A very long post about a dog, you may think but at heart it is about how lonely and difficult it becomes when dementia means that one's partner is no longer able to understand, empathise or support. Hence the things that they say and do just add to the stress one is already feeling and the whole situation just seems so much worse. Not unfamiliar to others I guess.
No, not too long. I know how we felt about our dogs.
Yes, it is the lack of empathy and self centred ness, I know this is expected but suddenly it catches one unaware.
Today, trying to solve a few things, the whole day went in sitting or standing waiting for things to be worked out, logic was away on holiday. Yet the memory of doing things was still there, just how to do them. Just small things but hard to see in once so able innovative man. Yet so adamant he knew what he was doing. We always shared and worked together, life can seem lopsided.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I so empathise with the worry over sick dogs. It would help if they could tell you how they felt but, of course, they can’t, so we have to second guess. Shame the vet didn’t warn you of the possible reaction and what to do, so that you wouldn’t have had your own palpitations. Dealing with all this and having to make the decisions is not fun, especially when you are doing it solo. On top of everything else you are dealing with, the stress levels are going to be sky high.

Thankfully Knight didn’t break anything and will soon be limp free and pain free.

Sending you both a big hug and a virtual bone!

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Only on here can I find a complete understanding of what we are either going through, or have yet to face. It is sometimes the little things that tip us over. But we get up and carry on. God love us all.

sarahsea

Dec 19, 2017

I really felt for you when I read your post. Dementia has the knack of making an already stressful situation so much worse. A few months ago I had to make the decision to call the vet to have my 16 year old dog Lily put to sleep. I knew that the time was near and had talked to my husband about making the right decision at the right time, but of course he couldn't help. He is (I think) early stages Alzheimer's and can appear "normal" at times, but so much is beyond his comprehension. We were both there when the vet came, but days afterwards he asked me if I could explain what happened to Lily. He did this several times over the first few weeks which I found very painful. He didn't want to distress me of course, he simply couldn't understand / remember. Lily was a rescue dog and with me for 15 and a half years, so left a big gap in my life. I only met my husband 8 years ago (married almost 4 years), so we have less history!!
Life has moved on and despite dementia I made the decision to get a puppy. I now coping with puppy training and looking after my husband and it's a struggle, but I firmly believe that as the dementia worsens, Mollie the puppy will save me from going insane. I hope that Knight makes a swift recovery and you have a more peaceful night tonight.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
As I read your post I was filled with dread that it would have an unhappy ending so delighted to read Knight has recovered reasonably and you must be exhausted after being on monitor duty so I expect you are in bed already...not reading TP:D.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
My dogs , all of them rescue dogs, are the (only) joy of my life.
Despite having a huge garden where they can run and play as long as they like, they are always ready to escape whenever they can.
After wandering on the hills around the house , they always get back by the end of the day, tired, hungry, covered in mud, but satisfied with their explorations.
A month ago only two of them got back.
The third , Kira, was missing for five days. I thought she was dead and I was as desperate as I had ever been. When she was found safe and sound, though thinner and limping, by a neighbour, I was so happy that I could not stop crying...
I felt so lonely on those long days and it was clear to me I would not get help or support from my husband

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hope your dog continues to recover.
We no longer have any pets. As they have died off, our wonderful old cat last November 2017, I have not had the energy to get a new pet. We visit with our neighbor's cat (which is nothing like as nice as our old cat was...if fact, really not a nice cat at all, but very very pretty. Our cat was very doglike.)
One of the members of Team Nick, who comes once in a while but not scheduled weekly has a lovely little dog who is getting quite old, we are always happy to see her and the dog.We have even watched his dog while she travels, which was nice, a two week stay I can handle.
Thanks for starting a new thread with the new topic so much easier to follow.