NVQ2 Question

Olena N

Nov 5, 2020
Hello can someone help me please with this question. Outline the legal rights of the carer in relation to an individual with dementia.?
thank you

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Olena N
I think many carers wonder about this ... they are at times made to feel there are many responsibilities but few rights

there's a great deal of difference between paid care staff and those family and friends who provide care and support, both in lived experience and law

as nae sporran says this is a peer support forum .... you might instead do an internet search eg

we have had this question here before .... I wonder whether it is regularly set as an essay/project or comes up in a textbook .... presumably your course will at some point give you answers .... maybe you could share those with us

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I don’t know if you want the correct answer or to debate the question.
This is my opinion.
The legal rights of a carer are the same as they would be to any citizens in this country.
This means the carer will have the protection of all the policies, procedures and government acts they would , if they were supporting an individual fortunate enough not to have dementia.

If we look at:
The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HASAWA) lays down wide-ranging duties on employers. Employers must protect the 'health, safety and welfare' at work of all their employees, as well as others on their premises, including temps, casual workers, the self-employed, clients, visitors and the general public.

Some people will be employed to care for people who wish to hit them.
This is dealt with by risk assessment and training.
There are also a host of policies and procedures to deal with this but they do not discriminate against people with dementia.