Nursing Home Fees

Bridget202

Jul 14, 2021
Hello I’m Bridget 202. Already a member.
My husband went into a Nursing Home last week very reluctantly. Unknown to us at the time he had a Urinary Tract infection. His behaviour towards the staff was uncharacteristicsly very angry and aggressive. This continued day and night for 4 days during which time he physically assaulted thr members of staff. He also had a fall on the first night in the home. My family and I were absolutely devastated to see what was happening and decided to bring him back home and have overnight carers and daytime help to look after him..on the second night at home he woke me up at 1am in the morning in a dreadful state of anger And delirium.
This terrible tirade continued non stop until 5am. Threatening to leave the house and not allowing myself or my adult son anywhere near him by pushing his walking frame toward us as he paced up and down. I called 999 for help but had a6 hour wait before the ambulance arrived.
The paramedics agreed with me that perhaps if the Nursing Home would have him back we should contact them. After some deliberation they said yes but only on the condition that we would agree to him having one to one 24 hour care and be re assessed on Monday this being Saturday morning last. This extra was going to cost £24.00 per hour.
Being at our wits end after a sleepless horrific night we agreed. My assumption was that this extra one to one would be a temporary arrangement until my husband settled down.
however the home has informed us that as long as he’s in the home this arrangement has to stay in place otherwise he will have to leave... This means the fee now has risen from the original £1050 per week to £5100 per week.
as mentioned in the beginning he had a UTI which took a full week before being prescibed Antibiotics which was more than likely the reason for his behaviour during that period.
Our social worker has applied for CHC fundingbut says she is not overly optimistic that we get it. My husband also suffers with epileptic seizures and urological problem. So we’re hoping he will be awarded the funding.
Has anyone else experienced a similar situation and if so can you please give me some information or advice?
Thank you for taking the time to read this very long post 🙏🙏

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
What was the reason he went ito the nursing home in the first place?

Your social worker hould be looking for a placement that is more suitable, as well as CHC

Sounds like he needs a 1:1 , whatever the reason for the behaviour

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
If the behaviour is out of character and is coinciding with his UTI then surely treatment for the UTI should be allowed to run it's course before the nursing home start making judgements on whether the 1:1 needs to be permanent?

I'm not going to comment on the £5100 p/w because my language would get me banned from the forum.

I agree with @Jessbow and @Grannie G try and get some support with finding a more suitable placement or advice from the helpline.

CHC is not a quick (or easy) process and people will often give you the 'mechanics tut' and tell you you're unlikely to get it. Nobody can be certain of his possible eligibility until he has been given a checklist assessment to determine his levels of need.

I'm sorry your going through this at the moment @Bridget202 it must be so upsetting.

Bridget202

Jul 14, 2021
What was the reason he went ito the nursing home in the first place?

Your social worker hould be looking for a placement that is more suitable, as well as CHC

Sounds like he needs a 1:1 , whatever the reason for the behaviour
Thank you Jessbow. He has Alzheimer’s which was diagnosed about five years ago. I was his sole carer until he went into an EMI registered Nursing home. I understood that being EMI registered they would be qualified to look after patients with every aspect of their behaviour without us now having to pay £4000 extra on top of the original fee of £1050.
which of course we cannot sustain for a long period of time and are not very optimistic about getting CHC FUNDING. I JUST wondered if anyone else had a similar experience.