• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Now EMI has been talked about for Mother in Law.... but will the NHS pay it?


Registered User
Jan 22, 2013
After my last posting it has now been talked to with my sister in law that mum will need to go into a EMI place. My question is would the NHS pay for it.? Many thanks x


Registered User
Jan 20, 2011
There are two types of EMI (Elderly Mentally Infirm). EMI residential is for people who are mentally infirm and so require dementia trained staff at a slightly higher ratio of carer to resident (at least that is how CH's usually justify their pricing structure). Then there is 'EMI nursing' for people with a high level of both mental and physical infirmity.

Neither of these CH/NH categories is necessarily paid for either wholly or in part by the NHS. It's more about which type of unit is best for that person; with regard to staffing and facilities, and also the other residents they will be living with.


Account Closed
May 30, 2012
The NHS is not responsible in most cases for paying for the residential care of dementia payments. It only pays for such care in one set of circumstances - namely teh grant fo Continuing Health Care (CHC). Searching this forum will yeild numerous threads on this.

The NHS does fund an element for nursing care (FNC) in some cases. Also there is "Mental Health Act s117 funding" where the Local Authority (and to an extent the NHS) actually fund the care in full.

However, in most cases, individuals will either be self-funding, or Local Authority funded. The relevant factsheets on this site are a good starting point.

The terms EMI and EMI infirm are no longer types of registration but the terminlogy persists. My mother required EMI Infirm nursing care, for example. It is a convenient descriptor of ened, and it indicates that the patient will have to go into a home providing that type of care. The funding issue is separate - the point is that that is the level of care that will have to be funded. In the case of LA funding, the LA will fund up to its local "expected to pay rate", and the FNC from the NHS funds the nursing care element (which is essentially the main difference between "ordinary" care homes and EMI Nursing care - the latter has a requirement for availablity of specialised RMN/RGN nursing care).



Registered User
Apr 8, 2013
I think it depends on how bad she is, if they are really bad and very violent and difficult to deal with then she will probably get the continuing care.a emi unit is the place under the last port of call of you know what i mean!