Not using toilet

Brymoggy

Nov 19, 2021
My wife who has Alzheimers will not pass either no1 or no2 while sitting on the toilet but then passes both easily in the shower or her lined pants. Any ideas how to overcome this

ArduousWolf

Oct 10, 2023
My father has a similar problem. When he asks for the toilet during the day nothing comes out. However he does successfully use the toilet last thing at night for No. 1 and in the early hours of the morning for No. 1s and 2s. I think it comes then because he is tired and almost falling asleep on the loo and doesn't fight the feeling or get confused about what he is doing. I have noticed that the earlier he goes to bed the longer it takes for things to start happening, but if I distract him with small talk, it's like turning on a hose. Luckily Dad is good at holding himself so does not have very many accidents.

Perhaps you could try that with your wife. Have her sit on the toilet and just give it a bit of extra time while distracting her with other things unrelated to the task at hand.

Nanny1086

Jul 24, 2022
My wife who has Alzheimers will not pass either no1 or no2 while sitting on the toilet but then passes both easily in the shower or her lined pants. Any ideas how to overcome this
My father has a similar problem. When he asks for the toilet during the day nothing comes out. However he does successfully use the toilet last thing at night for No. 1 and in the early hours of the morning for No. 1s and 2s. I think it comes then because he is tired and almost falling asleep on the loo and doesn't fight the feeling or get confused about what he is doing. I have noticed that the earlier he goes to bed the longer it takes for things to start happening, but if I distract him with small talk, it's like turning on a hose. Luckily Dad is good at holding himself so does not have very many accidents.

Perhaps you could try that with your wife. Have her sit on the toilet and just give it a bit of extra time while distracting her with other things unrelated to the task at hand.

Nanny1086

Jul 24, 2022
sadly i can’t offer any advise ,,
my husband is having a different problem,,, i seem to be washing towels and flannels every day,,, he’s very private and shuts the bathroom door when going to the toilet,,,, so i have no idea how the towels get soiled so much/often , he’s 81 and as well as his Alzimers he has advanced prostrate cancer , im sure others will offer good advice ,

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
i seem to be washing towels and flannels every day,,, he’s very private and shuts the bathroom door when going to the toilet,,,, so i have no idea how the towels get soiled so much/often
Id guess that he is using them instead of toilet paper

Have her sit on the toilet and just give it a bit of extra time while distracting her with other things unrelated to the task at hand
Sounds like a good idea. I also used to run the tap to encourage mum to go

I must admit though, @Brymoggy , that I think mum was losing voluntary control at this point and it wasnt long afterwards that she became frankly incontinent

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’ve noticed this more recently with mum….she’s partly continent but heading down the path…I am finding she now needs to be told its ok to go……I have to say ‘mum, you can go now….mum, you’re on the toilet you can do a wee…sometimes she needs encouraging that she is doing the right thing