Not knowing and fearful of husband

eldestson

Jul 27, 2019
My mother, who has not yet been fully diagnosed with dementia but clearly has the signs has been increasingly expressing concern about my father. A regular theme is that she wants to go back 'home', childhood home, packs a bag with say, nothing but shoes and tries to head off, and has succeeded going a mile or so on 2 or 3 occasions. She also does not at times recognise my Dad, she is even fearful of him at times because he is, in her words, 'this old man just comes into my house and sits down'. This has been going on for some weeks, with increasing conviction and yet in between these bouts she behaves as our mother and his wife would.

My concern tonight is that evening times her anxiety hightens and she does not want to stay in the house with him, wants someone to stay with her all night, she is fearful that he will attack her, even if she locks herself in another room. We are quite sure that he will not harm her but she is adamant. He is nearly 90, struggles to walk, has macro degeneration but he has become increasingly depressed and what with Mum's condition the relationship is very up and down.

Tonight, until exhaustion took hold, she kept up this fear of staying in her home all evening up to gone midnight. She was adamant that she'd rather sleep outside, in the fields, in a shed, anywhere but home. 3 of her children tried all manner of persuasion, diversionary tactits, keeping our distance, loving and cuddling, all sorts but to no avail.

This can't go on, we fear for her well-being, we fear she may just wander off, we fear she may harm herself, she has little care for herself at these moments, anywhere, anyhow but not in the house.

Reluctantly the question now is are we now looking at residential care? We can't go on like this, we can't have regular nights like this.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @eldestson, welcome to TP. You will find a mine of information to read through, a listening ear and many suggestions

Although my mum didn’t go through this, many people have, it’s often called “sundowning”, as anxiety levels are raised later in the day :(

You say your mum is not yet diagnosed. Is she in the process, has she been to her GP, been referred to the memory clinic? Or, as you guessing at the likely cause?

I’m no expert, just going by what I’ve experienced and read, but “feelings” seem to be far stronger than words. If you can distract you mum as she starts getting anxious it can help.

Never say “no”, “do you remember” or “you are wrong”. Try suggestions of a cup of tea, chocolate or cake, for some reason, cake seems to be the holy grail and works when nothing else will :eek: Yes I know, it sounds crazy, when someone suggested I offered my mum cake when she was shouting at me to go away, I thought they were being sarcastic .... but I tried and it worked. Sometimes I wouId leave the room and then walk back in with a smile saying “cup of tea mum and how about some cake”. There were times I left the room once, other times it could be ten times before I got her calm.

If you try looking at it through her eyes ... at times she doesn’t remember your dad and instead sees an old man, who she doesn’t know. It’s got to be scarey for her, so she wants to get away. Don’t tell her he’s her husband, she’s not going to believe you. Try telling her he’s an old friend of hers, maybe she doesn’t recognise him, who cares about her, that you trust completely to look after her

Get the official diagnosis, it could be something else. It could be a chemical imbalance that can be sorted with medication. It could be a hundred things, but you won’t know what needs to be done until she’s been checked out

Care choices, whether it’s carers, residential home, family or care homes don’t need to be made tonight. There are many things to consider and you really can’t start until you get a definitive cause for her behaviour.

Keep us updated, I’m sure others will be along with better suggestions. You might want to start your own thread, it can help with getting more focused answers, as can a geographical area on your profile. The rules and availability of support vary greatly between the USA and England or Scotland, never mind between Cornwall and Liverpool :rolleyes:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @eldestson, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

These behaviours are common enough in dementia and may be due to a mixture of sun downing and memory issues. Your mother may only remember the young version of your father and so doesn’t recognise the older version. She may not even recognise her own reflection for the same reason. A chat with the GP may produce something to ease the anxiety aspect of all this.

Illness or something like dehydration can also cause a worsening of symptoms so it’s important to have your mother checked for an infection like a UTI or dehydration.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like changes in behaviour, getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It is frightening when a spouse of many years does not know you and I really sympathise with your dad @eldestson . My husband went through regular periods of not knowing me.

He would knock on neighbours doors , asking for help and telling them 'that woman won't get out of my house'. It was amazing he knew the neighbours but didn't know me.
He was also frightened of me which was so upsetting.

Perhaps the time really has come for residential care. This way, if your dad does suffer sundowning, your mother can visit him early in the day and avoid late afternoons. If it`s not sundowning, your mother will still be able to visit him but will be supported by the staff if your dad becomes confused.

Sad times all round I know.

eldestson

Jul 27, 2019
My mother has been having tests, she is due to have some more next week so that is progressing well. She has also been checked for other medical conditions so quite confident it's a dementia.

To follow on...... this morning my sister found a window open at 7 am, Mum had gone. She did return whilst they were out looking for her, the post lady had seen her earlier.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @eldestson
a warm welcome from me too
such a worry for you all this morning

let your mum's GP know what has happened to keep them in the picture ... maybe alert your local police so they are aware your mum may walk about, as it is making her vulnerable and putting her at risk, and call them if she disappears again

if possible, make sure your mum has something with her that gives a contact number; I made a set of small cards and put one in the pocket of every coat, cardigan etc and in his wallet

there are trackers available and door alerts, linked to a telecare system ... I had these from dad's Local Authority Adult Services; I appreciate that your mum doesn't have an official diagnosis but her behaviour is putting her at risk so you may be wise to contact the LA and let them know your concerns, to get her on their radar

the behaviour you describe fits some of the symptoms caused by dementia ... if your mum's memory is affected, she may well, at times, be back in time when she was much younger (you say she's talking of her parents) and indeed a time befores she was married .... so, to her, either she has no husband or he is the young man of the photos of their early married life ... she is not looking for the man her husband is now, so is not recognising him, sadly ... in effect your dad is a stranger to her, in her space and behaving in a very familiar way (because he knows he's her husband) which explains her fear ... at those times, don't try to explain who he is (you wouldn't accept someone telling you a person is your spouse when you KNOW he is not, and wouldn't trust the person trying to 'fool' you) ... keep calm and quiet and go with the flow of what your mum believes at that moment, back off, let her be as long as she is safe, anything to help her settle ... maybe use your dad's name and say he's a neighbour or family friend who popped in to help out ... maybe add, while your dad is out at the shops/work/ playing golf (any reason she would recognise from their earlier life) ... and don't be surprised if your mum knows her children but not her husband, these things don't conform to reason

I certainly used the manouevre of leaving the room, making a cuppa (even changing my clothing a little) and then calling to dad before I entered the room eg 'hey dad, it's (me) I've made a coffee, fancy one?' (so he hears the voice, gets the relationship, knows my name and that I come in peace), giving him time to orientate to my voice before I entered slowly with a big smile behaving as though nothing was out of the ordinary ... our voices stay much the same, as our physical appearance changes ... and I'd be prepared to leave him be at any sign of agitation ... patience and calm helped dad much more than reasoning, explanation or arguing my case