Not Eating

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
Hi everyone. Mum's at End Stage Alzheimer's - although this has been the case for several months now. She has stopped eating and is being given Oral Nutritional Support (shakes), which she does drink. She's also still drinking water and squash. I'd be interested to hear any experiences that others may have had when their relative reaches this stage - i.e. how long does this tend to go on for?

Mum's in a pitiful state - bedridden, unable to communicate and very often agitated/distressed. For her sake, I really do wish that it would end.

Thank you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @luggy
She's also still drinking water and squash. I'd be interested to hear any experiences that others may have had when their relative reaches this stage - i.e. how long does this tend to go on for?
As with everything dementia related, there is simply no knowing how long.
Eventually (or perhaps tomorrow) she will gradually (or suddenly) stop drinking too.
When that happens you will know that she is at End of Life
The waiting is terrible
(((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Thinking of you and wishing you the best at this challenging time.
we try to imagine the trajectory towards death but it’s worth noting that just as every labour and birth is different so too is this. Prepare yourself for getting close the the absolute end and then your loved one rallying. This may not happen at all but my the rollercoaster is tough on those who watch and wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bexs