Not eating or sleeping much - looks very ill. EOL ?

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hi,
I'm really confused about dad. He's still not eating only been a week though. He's not sleeping, totally exhausted. Roaming around at night , the voices in his head' the controller ' he calls them tells him to wash his hands and clean his teeth 5 - 10 times. Haven't asked him what the voices are a generally saying. Spoke to the nurse yesterday and she said that he hadn't told the Psych team about the voices. Nothing in his notes *** is going on .

I speak to dad a lot. He sounds like he has asthma or a chest infection, but he hasn't. He yawns a lot and sounds and looks really tired with life. Spoke to the Dr and she talked about the future and DNR. Do they know something I'm not being told ? I'm hoping the Psych team calls me tomorrow. They said they would, but... Couldn't the Dr give him something to calm him and make him sleep ? All I get is the he's fine. He's in a side room because he assaulted a nurse - punched her in the face. There's only a TV. Nothing of home there . He's nearly blind and very . deaf.

I don't think he'll last till Xmas when I'm due to see him. Is this terminal restlessness ? MIL had it before she died this year. He has alway been a bit tanned out in the sun. He’s a nasty pale colour, now. The deterioration in six weeks since my husband saw him is big. Especially, since he went into hospital. I’m trying to judge when to go over since there only two flights a week from where we live. And need to organise cover for work. Can he come back from this? And I think I’ll be there till Xmas.

A friend is going in today so will get some more pics and maybe a video. ?☹️?

Any advice, much welcome. Feel the staff are not telling me everything. Such a worry.

Sending strength to everyone who a batting their own storm. Take care.

BFN

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds as if no one really knows if this is end of life or acute anxiety @garfield3 . I witnessed the yawning in a seriously ill friend and every time she yawned, her partner yawned too.

I think the discussion about DNR is just in case, because you are not in the UK.

Whatever! Your dad is obviously seriously ill. Whether or not it`s end of life it`s a pity he is not being given more comfort in the form of calming medication.

You are in the most difficult situation.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I wonder whether he has got delirium?
The psych team are the people who would prescribe medication to calm him down. I do hope that they get to see him soon.
xxx

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
I wonder whether he has got delirium?
The psych team are the people who would prescribe medication to calm him down. I do hope that they get to see him soon.
xxx
They have seen him at least 6 times since he was admitted 2 weeks ago. The last time was Thursday, just gone.I don’t know why they haven’t given him something. He’s been feeling suicidal too and the Drs know that since his violent episode. ***!! ??

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
It sounds as if no one really knows if this is end of life or acute anxiety @garfield3 . I witnessed the yawning in a seriously ill friend and every time she yawned, her partner yawned too.

I think the discussion about DNR is just in case, because you are not in the UK.

Whatever! Your dad is obviously seriously ill. Whether or not it`s end of life it`s a pity he is not being given more comfort in the form of calming medication.

You are in the most difficult situation.
Thanks for your reply. It‘s comforting to know that I can come here and offload and get advice.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Goodness! You would think they would do something
Yes!! Spoke to the nurse and she wonders if he’s on hunger strike. On a slight positive note his liquid intake is good on Fortsip , water and tea. Feel less desperately worried at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch