No idea what to do next

Wendywood

Oct 22, 2018
many thanks for welcoming me into the group. I desperately need some advice about my mother in law, recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.
The brief history is this - my mother in law, a Dutch national, ex CPN nurse, fiercely independent and strong willed has been living alone post retirement in rural France for 15 years. The family noticed about 2 yearsago that she was suffering with memory problems which were becoming progressively worse. The French health system were very very slow in supporting a diagnosis and it became increasingly obvious that she would need “extracting” from France as she was struggling with living alone with no family nearby in a rural French Farmhouse. Her move from France was very complex and was managed by my husband and his brother.
It was decided that she would as the first step move to our local village. My husband found her a small bungalow in the village centre with good neighbours and a bus service into town with all of the necessary facilities. Our house is 500m from the village on a dangerous rural road, unlit. At this point she gave up,driving and my husband and brother in law organised a health and financial POW.
So far so good. After about 3 months in the UK she was given a definitive Alzheimer’s diagnosis and discharged from the memory clinic.
So what happens now? It is very obvious to me that she is struggling to live alone. She is hugely reliant on my husband who not only is running a growing family business and responsible for 20+ people & their jobs is also a father to 3 children age 12-15 including one with Asperger who needs our support. We both work full time in the business. I also have elderly parents who have severe Parkinson’s and advanced osteoporosis and am an only child.
My mother in law is fiercely independent and turns away any help or social groups we are putting in place for her yet she is calling my husband 20+ times a day to say that she is lonely and wants to be helpful. She walks back and forth to our house up to 6 times a day and gets distressed as we are all,out at school and work. She is managing to dress and bathe and prepare basic food although she is underweight and also suffers from advanced arthritis in her hands. She has walked along country lanes during the day and in the evening with no clue where she’s going and calls for help by knocking on people’s doors who know our family and will give her a lift home. She sometimes forgets where she lives and goes to the village shop where they takes her home - only 50metres or so. She has left a pan on which caught fire and has spent a few days with no hot water as she keeps switching the switch off. She believes that my husband is both her ex husband and her son age about 16/17. Most of the time she thinks that she lives with him in one of these personas and gets really cross that he doesn’t write her a note to let her know When he’s coming home. She then calls him repeatedly to ask when or where he is.
He has organised for a local carer to visit every morning Monday to Friday to check she’s ok, the carer takes her shopping & to the hairdresser twice a week and my husband manages all of the practical stuff such as money, medical stuff, household jobs etc. He sees her 1/2 a day & we will often do a family activity at the weekend with her like Sunday dinner or she comes to see the children playing sport. She is very tearful, anxious, and stroppy (understandably), she sends the carer away after 10 mins sometimes saying that she isn’t needed. The does t end up going to village communicate events which my husband organises to fill her day. She is a mad keen dog walker & walker - she spent all,of her free time in France walking the dog. We have “loaned” her our dog but she overfed him - he gained 5kgs in 2 months and she made him lame! so sadly we have had to stop this arrangement. Also she broke her collarbone falling off the bed 3 weeks ago - she has osteoporosis I’m sure so she can’t hold a big dog on a lead. She has jointed a walking group which my husband takes her to once a week - this is probably the best thing that she does.
So what on earth do we do. I have to look out for the best interests of my husband who cannot carry on like this. Nobody is happy! I forgot to say that my mother in law is 77.
Apologies for the length of the post. I just have to get it all down! Please don’t feel obliged to reply or read through.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Wendywood, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

You have quite a lot going on there but one thing that jumps out is that safety is, or may become, an issue and because of this the time may have come when what is needed trumps what is wanted.

Others here may have differing opinions but I think it's time for a care needs assessment and here's a handy link to take you to the appropriate Society Factsheet https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/assessment-care-support-england
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/media/8211

There is no need to say sorry for the long post as everyone here will recognise and understand the situation. Please keep posting.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Wendywood and welcome to TP but sorry that such difficult circumstances have brought you here.
Maybe the time has come to involve SS, the first step possibly should be a needs assessment for MIL as it sounds as if the situation is proving difficult for you and the family to see a way to help MIL stay safe
I have enclosed the link to the Alzheimer’s society’s fact sheets if you would like to have more information
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...9.1282197276.1537783722-1370286491.1335957541

Wendywood

Oct 22, 2018
We involved SS a few weeks ago after the first bout of wondering - a social worker came to do an assessment - said she’s benefit from some care visits which we have put in place - sent us the name of a couple of private care agencies and then discharged her. Said that she seemed to be getting herself out of dangerous situations by getting helps so that was a positive. We have received no further support whatsoever. When we had her first crisis with no care plan in place the GP actually said to me - we are not here to provide a babysitting service for your family. we deal with medical matters. Heartless, ignorant and unhelpful are the 3 words which sum it up.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I personally found SS very unhelpful until I found a local carers support group who were able to supply an advocate to support us, have you googled carer support or carer groups in your area, these people have the right turn of phase to get things done..
Also the Alzheimer’s society has a valuable resource in its helpline that you may find very useful
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...5.1282197276.1537783722-1370286491.1335957541

Wendywood

Oct 22, 2018
Thanks for the advice. I will followthe advice to find a local careers group and will also update the SS on new at risk behaviours since the initial assessment. She is being seen this morning for an asssessment by a local organisation called Shared Lives who provide amongst other things companionship support inn3 hour blocks. The problem is that none of these options will protect her against her self if she goes wondering - if she is busy throughout the day does the risk of wondering then decrease I wonder?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Could you suggest a short break for her in a “hotel” which is actually a care home to see if she takes to the company provided and the activities. You could suggest to her she might be able to help with some of the older people by chatting to them or going for short walks in the garden.

Wendywood

Oct 22, 2018
Could you suggest a short break for her in a “hotel” which is actually a care home to see if she takes to the company provided and the activities. You could suggest to her she might be able to help with some of the older people by chatting to them or going for short walks in the garden.
Good idea. I assume she could be taken out of the care home by her current helper and family of course for dog walks etc?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I don't see why not. Make some enquiries locally to see what is available. You're going to need this soon by the sound of it.