No diagnosis yet,but I'm hanging in there for my mum..

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Hi there

My mother in law has been diagnosed with Lewy body dementia and the hallucinations meant that she struggled sleeping and her behaviour was very erratic. My father in law was caring for her at home with family supporting where they could. However he wasn't coping and we got in home care to assist him - I think it is something we should have pushed for sooner if I'm honest.

I think you are right to dig your heels in she needs to be discharged with a proper care plan in place and if you need please call in for help. You are doing the best for your mum.

J

Hi Jane,

I'm so sorry to hear that your MIL has got this horrendous disease too and the struggle of your FIL and your family with it too.i haven't had any help mentioned or explained-a couple of brief sentences from various gp,s who had been called out in the past to my mum..no mention of social services,nothing..
I'm going to visit mum today-whichever ward she's been shipped off to,If any and before I do,I'm going to complain about the treatment and handling of my mums needs to PALS.
I wouldn't take a dying animal to that hospital,so the thought of my mum being there,and they obviously didn't want her on that ward-I told the staff nurse,I could tell by the tone and attitude of her voice that she didn't want her there either..
I will let you know what has transpired after I've been to see her today,
Thanks for your support too,

Jane, x

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Hi, My Mum was admitted to hospital after a fall. The nurse in A & E was extremely worried about her mobility and dementia and wasn't happy to send her home (she still lived alone at this point). So she was admitted (she had a broken collar bone) and we were told they would test her and she would be in for about a week. We were really pleased as, like you, we had been so worried about her.

The next day a nurse on the ward phoned me to say that the consultant had seen Mum and thought she had "all her faculties" , could mobilise her arm and was ready to be discharged!!! I refused to take her home! I felt really bad about it as Mum was not coping very well with being in strange surroundings but I felt that this was my chance to get some help. We had to get a doctor to sign a "form of incapacity" to stop Mum from discharging herself.

Once she had been seen by Psychiatric Consultant, Social Worker, Physiotherapist etc it was decided that she was unsafe to live alone and she is now in an EMI home. Things have not been easy and she is taking a long time to settle but it is definitely the right place for her. I just think if I had not stood my ground and refused to take her home she would be back living in her flat, not coping, and being in danger.

I hope you can find a solution. Stick to your guns. There is help out there but unfortunately you need to shout and make a fuss before you get it. Hope you manage to get some sleep. Take care. Sheila x

Hi Sheila,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and share with me the horrible,heartbreaking experience of the treatment and lack of care at the hospital ward where your dear mum was taken to.. It's unbelievable in this day and age isn't it? That people in a 'caring' profession,seem to know absolutely nothing about any standard of care,let alone patients with dementia's.. These general consultants are so out of touch with real people and their lives that they should be up there with the politicians in their own world.
Leaving mum there was possibly the hardest thing I've had to do,I'm bawling here as I'm trying to type this,it's not good,not good.
I'm going to complain to PALS,(never done anything like this before,even when almost dying in that hospital myself,through negligence-I guess I just wanted to put it behind me)
But iam going to kick a fuss,on a few levels.The hospital I'm talking about is a teaching hospital in Nottingham ( I've edited the name out,so I'm not upsetting them-god forbid,lol).. I wouldn't want to be treated/referred there myself anymore should the need arise. I will be back on later after I've been to see mum,visiting hours are from 2.30 onwards so it will give me a chance to gather my thoughts and try and see someone at the pals office,
Thanks so much for the support Sheila,It shows us family and carers what a battle we have to fight for our loved ones..

Jane, x

Last edited:

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
I would call the memory clinic daily and demand a consultant diagnosis. Make lots of noise even get social services involved. It worked for me. Sorry to say this, but is it time to start looking at care homes??? There is absolutely no point in wrecking your own health and your family in the process. Good care homes do exist and can be immensely helpful. My mum is well looked after and pretty soon I am hoping to get her gardening again. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
I would call the memory clinic daily and demand a consultant diagnosis. Make lots of noise even get social services involved. It worked for me. Sorry to say this, but is it time to start looking at care homes??? There is absolutely no point in wrecking your own health and your family in the process. Good care homes do exist and can be immensely helpful. My mum is well looked after and pretty soon I am hoping to get her gardening again. Good luck

Thanks Kazzy,

I know you're right,I'm learning that the only way to get some help is to dig my heels in and shout for it.
My mum went through this with her own mum-that's a different story and truly horrible treatment in hosp and ended up dying from a brain haemorrhage because some ******* didn't put cot rails up on the bed hence her smashing her head which led to her death..This was back in 1994,a while ago,but still fresh enough to make me hesitant.

I guess that's why I'm or have been holding back,I'm shattered,skint and scared,but I know for my daughters sakes I've got to look at this option now..

Can I ask,how long did it take finally for the doctors to make a diagnosis for your mum? And did this help with you getting her a good care home?
And thanks so much for your reply,I don't know where I would be without TP now,can't get no answers in the real world much,that's for sure.

Jane, x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
You probably won't want to hear this Jane-but I'm going to say it anyway:eek:

It took medics (of various forms) six years to diagnose my Husband. Six years of wandering/anxiety/memory loss and bl--dy worry and fear. He finally got the diagnosis in a Mental Health Unit where he was sectioned for violence/delusions and hallucinations-oh and yes the 'walk' that you describe. By that time he was starting to be incontinent and couldn't remember the layout of the home he had lived in for over 30 years.

It took a superb Consultant at the MHU to assess him and take care of him (and me)
Ok a MHU is not a 'homely' place but Pete had tremendous care and he continued to do so (even though he is now in a CH he has needed to go back on occasions). As Kazzy says talk to the Memory clinic and the Hospital Psych team if you can.

You will have to shout VERY loud to be heard.

I hope that I haven't upset you by mentioning sectioning and MHU's but that is where you can find the expertise needed.

Take care

Lyn T

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
Thanks Kazzy,

I know you're right,I'm learning that the only way to get some help is to dig my heels in and shout for it.
My mum went through this with her own mum-that's a different story and truly horrible treatment in hosp and ended up dying from a brain haemorrhage because some ******* didn't put cot rails up on the bed hence her smashing her head which led to her death..This was back in 1994,a while ago,but still fresh enough to make me hesitant.

I guess that's why I'm or have been holding back,I'm shattered,skint and scared,but I know for my daughters sakes I've got to look at this option now..

Can I ask,how long did it take finally for the doctors to make a diagnosis for your mum? And did this help with you getting her a good care home?
And thanks so much for your reply,I don't know where I would be without TP now,can't get no answers in the real world much,that's for sure.

Jane, x

Well where to start??? Mum lived on her own and miles from me, over the years she has alienated most of her remaining family so I am it really (and a nephew who is even further away) She is prone to strokes and (luckily?) had a small stroke one day and ended up in hospital. We found evidence of hoarding and other stuff in the house when we went to collect things for her, by this point she was acting very strangely and after talking to my Nephew, her Neighbours etc I realised that she had been "odd" for some time. She was covering up memory losses etc but the stories were all very consistent. (Burning Xmas Dinner for 5 hours for example)

She has always been "difficult" but now she was losing her temper all the time over nothing and being very aggressive. I mentioned it to the Consultant (she was in the Stroke rehab unit then) and things started to add up. Luckily in Stoke there is a Dementia assessment place (sadly to close) so she got access to the right assessments. They gave her the short test and I looked at care homes as the Social Workers (who are based at the assessment unit) and carers agreed she was not able to look after herself safely. (she had to be stopped twice from walking straight into a road - and threw her mobility frame at someone in a shop!) That was all that was needed ref putting her into care not the full Diagnosis. All that she needed was the Social Workers and the Mental Health nurse to state their case in an assessment - and for me to reiterate time and time again that I could in no way look after her and that I was already extremely stressed - I even asked them what would happen if they let her go home, even with a complete 4 times a day package, if she got on a bus and fell/walked into a road etc. I think I even mentioned that they had a Duty of Care several times!

I found somewhere nice which was not easy!!! There are so many truly vile places I was shocked!! I looked at about 15 places and to be honest you get the feel of the place straight away (and whether the "carers" are caring at all!). I did this over a few weeks when it was becoming clear that Mum was worse than we had thought.

I got the full diagnosis due to my interfering cousin to be truthful (who thinks my Mother is fine based on her 3 times a year visits!) and to make sure that I had done the right thing (puts your mind at rest), also I needed it to start applying for the Court of Protection in the absence of Power of Attorney. The Cousin even had her Brother go to see my Mum which caused all sorts of issues as he has not seen her since the last family funeral and he told her they were going to "spring her" out of the Care Home!! Apparently he was going to do her shopping - yeah right! I called a meeting with the chief SW, Mum's SW, the CPN who assessed, the Head of Care me & my Cousin. Turns out she felt let down by the system cos her FIL had been allowed to get to the point where he was climbing out of windows and disappearing at 85!!! She has not been seen since. Poss gone back to Oz?

I understand the feeling of being the "evil witch" as my Mother has been far from nice to me for ages!! But reading the comments here and talking to others at the Care Home I realised that they all had similar experiences and guilt trips to deal with. Life is not how it used to be. Women now are not necessarily married to a supportive bloke if at all, they look after the children for longer and in most cases work on top of it all. Add the fact that most families no longer live n the same street and you have a recipe for disaster. We can no longer look after our own easily.

The full diagnosis took a few months but the test was done and the consultant was lovely. He was a God send really. He sat me down with a cup of tea and said that they were all concerned about me (I was getting divorced, working, looking after my 3 kids and driving 1.5 hours each way to see Mum twice a week!) he effectively gave me permission to take a break and now I only visit fortnightly. He had been tipped off by the Assessment staff that I had a lot on my plate.

I think it was the whole team approach that helped. Although it seemed chaotic at times, they all seemed to know what was going on. I spent a lot of time on the phone though and did make a lot of noise.

I think the Dementia Assessment was great - but I am sure there is an equivalent team in most Councils??? It might be worth starting to speak to people higher up the chain. Don't speak to Nurses unless they are senior - apart from telling them about your stress levels, lack of sleep etc. Ask to speak to the Consultant, call the Memory clinic and question them, then get hold of the SW to remind them that your opinion matters. Remind them that you have children and that all of this is affecting them too!! Remind the Carers and Social Workers that the Duty of Care remains with them ultimately and that you will not be happy if she is "released" and then suffers a fall etc because you cannot do this on your own. I would then go and look at Care Homes. Ask the SW for a list.

Things are slowly settling down with my Mum thank goodness, although I am still waiting on the Mad Cousin reappearing!!! I am 99% happy with where she is and intend to try to find a Care Home that does gardening etc, she is though OK where she is to be fair and the Carers are lovely in the main.

Good luck and contact me any time
Hope you get a few nights good sleep.

Oh and the other tip - Keep a notebook of all of the contacts, conversations etc so you don't forget stuff.

Thinking of you
Karen XXXX

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Thanks Lyn,

I do appreciate what you've told me and i appreciate your honesty,I prefer to hear it,tell it like it is with anything.
I've had some experience with mental health-my eldest daughter,who wasn't diagnosed with anything-kept having disturbing thoughts that led to an attempted suicide just before Xmas and she was seen and diagnosed with OCD,and is back to normal (whatever that is) thanks to medication,so I know that mental health services can be a good body to deal with..
I guess my mum,has reached the same stage as your husband-she can't find her way round her home anymore-can't turn around without being helped to sit on the loo,has trouble remembering who iam..can't walk without being helped,can't use a zimmer,just a shell of her old self.
I'm waiting for tomorrow when the doctors are back,she's on a medical/mental health ward at the moment,which does do the job it should by treating all ages with mental health/dementia with medical with some patience and compassion-for a change.
I caved in on Friday and rang my gp,as I still couldn't sleep and couldn't stop crying-a mini meltdown,so I'm back on tablets-amitriptyline (cos I have fibromyalgia but wasn't taking painkillers as I had to be awake for my mum)..
Yes,I think I've reached the point of handing care of my mum over to a care home.. Just feeling like I'm stuck on some circle of hell at the moment,
Thanks so much for replying, it helps me more than anything,

Take care,
Jane, x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lyn T said it in less words than me - do all of that!

Too chatty for my own good!!
;)

Karen

It's good to talk Karen=others learn from other posters experiences.

Just a word about your Mum's CH; at one stage I would have liked there to be a bigger garden at my Husband's CH as he always used to love gardening. However. he has advanced where he can't remember that he liked the garden. Also as his mobility is so bad it is likely that he won't be mobile for much longer. Obviously I don't know what stage your Mum is at but sometimes a small garden is ok if it's just for fresh air as opposed to wandering. Sorry I don't mean to interfere but perhaps you could keep it in mind as you are 99% happy with the one she is in?

Take care

Lyn T

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Thanks Kazzy and Lyn,

Hope you both are getting a bit of rest today-I'm going to try and watch a bit of TV,can't think when last time I saw a programme/film! ;)

Jane

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
Hi Lynn t. There is a small raised bed by the window of my mothers proposed new room. I am planning to fill it with her. Hopefully a few flowers and a bit of veg. I think I will assess the CH over the summer to see how much they go outside. Mum still wants to be active you see.
Thanks for advice
Karen

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Lyn T said it in less words than me - do all of that!

Too chatty for my own good!!
;)

Karen

Hi Kazzy,
I appreciate your chattiness! :)
Honest,talking to other people on this forum is the only solid comfort and what keeps me from going right under,I don't think anyone can understand the effect and knock on effect of every aspect of this awful disease unless they are going through it themselves,whether a sufferer or a carer or a family member. Your persistence with being persistent with the hospital/authorities worked! :). It's frustrating that we have to put up such a fight with aspects of getting help or support..
I'm glad your mum is settled now and the 'well meaning' relations have backed off,nothing worse than someone who knows nothing about the facts,than going in feet first to make it worse for you..

At least,thanks to you and others replies and support,It made me realise I had to stick to my guns and not give in because my mum wouldn't have eventually ended up getting medical assessed properly,
I'm going to start another thread,cos I'm needing or going to be needing all sorts of advice and don't want to bend your ear too much in one go!
Thanks so much,it means a lot to hear your experiences and advice

Take care,
Jane xxx