No Christmas Cards going

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
Though we have received Christmas cards, there are not as many as there used to be, I shall not be sending any out, even to those we have received from, as even though at this time of year we should, "Tis the season to be jolly" ha ha I don't feel like sending any to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi there How your post resonates with me. I felt just like that, what's the point, why bother, but don't give in. Our Christmas cards did get posted, though which cards are in which envelopes is anyone's guess. Most people who know us understand, and those who don't know what's happening soon will. So don't give up on Christmas . I must admit, reading some of those cards we received the messages inside do ring a bit hollow . Im just trying to keep things as normal as possible, Don't let it get you down, So, have as happy as Christmas as you can. Al

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
The first Christmas mum was with me I did absolutely nothing that may remind her of Christmas, including no cards sent and every Christmas card that came here never got displayed they just sat in a pile on the book case. This was the first Christmas that she was not spending with her son and she still had some insight about what was happening to her. It was also the first Christmas I had been with her in what must be 20 odd years, I used to go home the weekend before just to exchange presents etc.

Last year Christmas was back on, but very small and any cards we got were quickly whisked away in a pocket, bag or drawer by my mum and again I did not send any. A Christmas tree went up but mum spent most of her time picking up dropped needles and removing the baubles.

This Christmas I have managed to send a few, but no where near the number I used to send and like you the number we have received is way down, but that's ok because they will all end up in a pocket and anyway reading those 'round robin' letters means absolutely nothing to me. This year small gathering again just me, mum and a friend from London. No tree just a wonderfully dressed tree branch from the garden.

I have no problem keeping Christmas low key, after all the Dementia doesn't take a break. I will probably still have a sleepless night and no doubt a mess to clean up on Christmas morning!!!!!! But my friend and I will still get a few games of Scrabble in front of the fire with appropriate glasses of wine, whisky, port, cheese and chocolate!!

Zana

May 12, 2016
Maybe we are at a different stage but while OH can enjoy it we make a photo Christmas card these days and send that out.

It took motor drive and nearly 300 shots but I got one in which we both look ok.

Its a little effort but it helps us keep in touch with family and friends.

Of course Chrstmas is different these days no parties, no large gathering, no open door policy it would be too much for him to cope with.
So its a buffet style dinner with daughter and her partner a game of darts and some music and then bed by 11pm.

We might take the dog for a nice beach walk if the weather is good. The positives are little but they are still there.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Maybe we are at a different stage but while OH can enjoy it we make a photo Christmas card these days and send that out.

It took motor drive and nearly 300 shots but I got one in which we both look ok.

Its a little effort but it helps us keep in touch with family and friends.

Of course Chrstmas is different these days no parties, no large gathering, no open door policy it would be too much for him to cope with.
So its a buffet style dinner with daughter and her partner a game of darts and some music and then bed by 11pm.

We might take the dog for a nice beach walk if the weather is good. The positives are little but they are still there.

Oh Zana , a beach walk sounds lovely, just what my OH and I will do . We might even have a glass of champagne. Son and Dil for Christmas dinner followed by a Disney film for the 2 grandchildren . By 5pm son and family will go home as it's too much for OH by then xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Funnily enough we seem to be sending more cards out this year than usual - mainly because we have made so many new friends through the joining of several few groups this year.

However, I remember this time last year really not wanting to bother with cards, other than very close family - but my husband wanted them sent and needed me to do it for him, so I did.

This year, even though he has lost a lot of capacity, my husband has asked me several times to send cards to certain people.

I suspect that if I wasn't being pushed by him I wouldn't be sending out quite as many.