No capacity, self funder paying for care home fees?

MarkE_71

Aug 29, 2020
Hi,

My mother has entered a care home. We believe she has £40000 in assests other than her house. However we do not have access to these funds and would need to seek deputyship which could take several months. Should the council pay for her care until we get deputyship and then us settle what is due. I think it’s call an Interim funding agreement?

Thanks

Mark

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Is the house now empty? If so it may need to be sold, as £40k won't last all that long. You can include permission to do that in deputyship application.

JudyS

Feb 6, 2021
When my aunt was admitted under Section there was no Power of Attorney in effect and she was self funded when she moved into permanent residential care. The Local Authority paid the care home fees until my cousin was able to become a Deputy and get access to her finances. Once this was granted he then had to repay the LA and my aunt's house was rented out until such time as it needed to be sold to cover the fees - she had quite substantial savings and a decent pension so the house did not have to be sold for about four years or so.

Penelope Pitstop

Feb 17, 2020
I have had similar issues. I have had to apply for funding while we sell a property. My mother has been in a care home quite a few years but not much cash left. A Social Worker has to do an assessment to say they agree the person is in a suitable accommodation. That's just a paper exercise as far as I can tell. It's then passed through to the Financial department. You fill in forms. They place a debt on the property until it is sold and you can then pay the debt off. I spoke to the Care Home and they said not to worry its very common and straightforward. Its the council where the Care Home is that deals. I found that out as I tried to contact our original Social Services but the Care Home is in a neighbouring council area. As said above there's no great rush to sell the home. As long as they know they will get their money they aren't bothered. Be aware people love to tell you horror stories about cost etc, etc. None of this has been as traumatic as I thought it would be. Apart from my mothers illness that is ?

Robert55

Apr 17, 2024
If the person in care has sufficient funds to pay for their nursing home placement but does not have capacity in the absence of LPA do you still need to get a local authority loan?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Robert55
Somebody has to apply for COP deputy to access funds and arrange a loan from LA untill deputyship is granted.
Will there be a property to sell?

mhw

Apr 4, 2024
If the husband is still living in the home it won't be classed as an asset in the LA means testing only her savings or half if the money is in joint account. Dont sell the property make social services LA pay