Nightmares

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
:eek:
Hello Norrms,

I’ve just been reading your article “A Fall” you obviously landed with a hefty thump but thank goodness nothing broken which is always a possibility with anyone that has our illness as the bones seem to become more fragile, bruises soon heal up although the bruises on our pride take a bit longer! Or as you would say ‘LOL’

I know what it’s like myself having the constant horrific nightmares and weird dreams and have on more than one occasion fallen out of bed onto our ceramic tiled floor sending the bedside table flying which frightens the life out of my wife Sumi as I struggle to regain my equilibrium from the disorientation of where am I and what the hell am I doing on the floor, apparently from what Sumi tells me in the early hours of one morning I slid out of bed like a wriggling eel arms waving around in the air as if fighting Mike Tyson and bumping into all the bedroom furniture like a ball in a pinball machine sending ornaments flying but had no recollection of it happening except for a few bruises, talk about things that go bump in the night which in my case is normally me!

I don’t think a night time passes by without me having bad dreams and my wife is frequently having to wake me up as my arms and legs are more like a frenzied stallion but the problem for me is that no matter what time it is once I’ve been woken up I can’t get back to sleep again so quiet often by 2am I’m sitting at my computer.

We have spoken to my doctor about the dreams and vivid nightmares which she says is most likely due to one of the possible side effects of my Aricept and all the other medications and as she rightly said such dreams and nightmares can be part and parcel within different types of dementia, I’m sure that most people have dreams and the occasional nightmare but for people with our illness they can become far more intense and can get mixed together with different moments and people we new in our pre illness life, many of my weird dream or nightmares involve me travelling on planes with horrendous results and the disfigurement of bodies but that could be because I use to travel a lot around the world with my profession by plane or train visiting some of the most remote areas imaginable and seeing first hand just how some people have to live and survive the different illness problems resulting from malnutrition and the subsequent result to there body and limbs and to the children of the next generation which still lingers in my thoughts as vivid memories some being so horrific I would not want to write about them, but even with all my dreams and nightmares I would not give up my medications as they have so much more to give me towards a better quality of life, personally I think it’s a case of us having to weigh up the advantages against the disadvantages and accepting that where not in a win-win situation, so for me there was no question as I can live with the dreams and nightmares even if they are horrendous.

Well Norrms I will sign off for now and hope you’re recovering OK? I was going to say take care! But that would be a bit silly when we don’t know just what’s going to happen when where sleeping!

Best wishes
Barry