Nightmares

vas

Oct 13, 2023
Does anybody have awful nightmares ?
They are so bad I disturb my poor husbands sleep.

Last edited:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi @vas

This was very much my husband's experience when I was caring for him. He had very vivid dreams at times and would hit and kick out in his sleep.

There were also times when he would bring his dreams into his waking state, unaware that he was actually awake. For example, if he dreamed that there was a fire he would wake and still be able to see the flames and try to put them out or try to evacuate us all from the house.

I can't recall that he was actually given anything that was able to alleviate those kind of dreams, but that was a few years ago now. Others might have more up to date information that could help you.

vas

Oct 13, 2023
Thank you. They certainly are vivid.
Hi @vas

This was very much my husband's experience when I was caring for him. He had very vivid dreams at times and would hit and kick out in his sleep.

There were also times when he would bring his dreams into his waking state, unaware that he was actually awake. For example, if he dreamed that there was a fire he would wake and still be able to see the flames and try to put them out or try to evacuate us all from the house.

I can't recall that he was actually given anything that was able to alleviate those kind of dreams, but that was a few years ago now. Others might have more up to date information that could help

vas

Oct 13, 2023
Thank-you for your reply. Knowing why helps. Fear seems to play a huge part in this awful desease.

DollyM1

Dec 21, 2022
Hello Vas. Sorry I can’t really suggest anything. My husband has the most dreadful nightmares, but he doesn’t have dementia of any sort. Last night he woke us both up trying to escape from a submerged car. I always tell him to think of something nice to try and influence lovely dreams, but clearly that doesn’t work!

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
Do they tend to be the same theme of nightmare? If they are you could try agreeing a sentence or two your husband could say to you to try to bring you back into reality. Also not watching anything distressing or thought provoking/keeping off social media for a couple of hours before bed may help. Best wishes.

MatthewB

Oct 3, 2022
Arkansas
I'm very so sorry you go are going til the through that bad dream I'm like to think when I'm lay down think about all the good things about this life the Lord is give me that way when I'm wake up can still be think about that good when is sleep I'm pray for you dear lady this is Matt God bless you

vas

Oct 13, 2023
I'm really sorry to hear you're going through that. Nightmares can be tough. Have you tried discussing it with your husband and maybe exploring relaxation techniques before bedtime? Sometimes creating a calm routine or talking to a professional can also help. Wishing you peaceful nights ahead <3

vas

Oct 13, 2023
We have. Thanks. Currently exploring pink noise. Was reading about studies being done with this.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I just wanted to say how interesting this is. Until today I'd only ever heard of white noise.

Thank you @vas and @Denomi for bringing pink noise and brown noise into the discussion - it could be of great help to members.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m another who had only heard of white noise. Thanks for raising the subject here @vas and @Denomi.

I had a look for some information on it all -

Boneking

Nov 11, 2022
I don't usually remember my dreams but I can get violent in my sleep. Last fall when camping and in our tent sleeping, my brother who was next to me in the tent rolled over and was about to touch me to see if I was awake, when suddenly I was upright with my fist ****** at his head. Saying "don't ****** try me or I'll dust you right now you **********". He is also one of my closest friends. Oh I forgot to mention that the first night he said I rolled over and whispered in his ear "don't tell anyone". Good thing we have a good sense of humour. Keep smiling and keep them guessing.

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
I get very vivid dreams, but had frightful nightmares when I first went on neuro transmitter enhancing medication

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Hi all,
When I knew a professor who ran a sleep research lab for many years, he swore by a hot milky drink like Horlicks several hours before going to bed. He had the research on that with a variety of patients and volunteers, that showed that in general it improved the quality of sleep. His name was Professor Ian Oswald.
David Joseph

vas

Oct 13, 2023
I have also read hot milk aided restful sleep I've also found that if I've been stressed during the day I get worse nightmares.

SelahRosario

Feb 22, 2024
I have them from time to time. The most terrifying thing is that they are so realistic that sometimes you never know was it just a bad dream or it happened for real.

JoannaH

Feb 6, 2021
My sister had bad nightmares when on Donepezil but she is now on memantine and no issues. It might not be connected.

Ssteph

Aug 31, 2023
Yes my husband has vivid dreams/nightmares these started when he began medication, this was reviewed by memory nurse but felt it was more beneficial to continue with meds, he is getting more tired during the early evenings.

GlennBurch

Apr 10, 2024
Yes, sometimes I have terrible nightmares that can affect my sleep and my partner's sleep. I understand how unpleasant it can be to experience such dreams. You should discuss this with your partner and perhaps seek professional help to find ways to improve your sleep quality and cope with nightmares. Certain relaxation techniques or changes in sleep patterns may help reduce the frequency and intensity of nightmares.

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Yes my husband has vivid dreams/nightmares these started when he began medication, this was reviewed by memory nurse but felt it was more beneficial to continue with meds, he is getting more tired during the early evenings.
David Joseph
I have been taking the Donepezil for seven and a half months, and my experience is that the vividness of my dreams, which were very vivid in the first two or three months, have gradually become less vivid. Nightmares have subsided a little sooner and have become rare or non-existent in the last three months.
If anything, my dreams have become funny ha-ha or funny peculiar or simply fading, confused or confusing, and harder to remember after wakening. I hope this might help, because so far the Donepezil seems to be helping so far.
David Joseph