Night time incontinence

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I have this week been told by the manager of a care home that care homes no longer use Kylie sheets. This is new to me. She cited pressure sores as a problem and said they check people every two hours at night instead and change pads as necessary. Does anyone know whether this is indeed a new rule for care homes or whether she just made up this rule for herself? I really would not want OH woken in the night by strangers, have his pad changed and stands around while they change the sheets. Seems like complete lunacy to me. If you lie on wet Kylie sheets 24/7 I could understand it, but he gets up in the morning, has a shower, gets creamed and is then mobile. I don't see any evidence of pressure sores or skin breakdown. Has anyone else been told the same?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I was certainly told by the continence service not to use Kylie sheets.

I'm afraid I am using them again though. When I get Bill up through the night. I change his PJs and the Kylie sheet. That means I don't have to strip the bed.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It just makes no sense to me to condemn Kylie sheets. It's strange, isn't it? Thankfully, in our own home, we can use the method that works best for us.

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
I wonder what evidence they are basing this advice on? I know they have to be very careful especially in residential settings but some times it prevents them using common sense in individual situations. Thank goodness at home we can do that

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I wonder what evidence they are basing this advice on? I know they have to be very careful especially in residential settings but some times it prevents them using common sense in individual situations. Thank goodness at home we can do that

I don't know what their evidence is but carers are more than capable of making their own assessments based on the evidence they see every day. If, whilst using any aid, there was an increase in, for example, skin damage, I think most of us would stop using the aid and see if there was an improvement.

We don't use Kylies - they are expensive and have to be washed and dried. But quite by chance (a friend passed on a couple of packets) we discovered that disposable bed pads are relatively cheap and very strong and absorbent. Occasionally they can become rucked up, like any bed covering. Sue has very sensitive skin and there are wrinkle marks on her skin but they disappear very quickly. Of course, the more a person moves around the more any pad will be liable to wrinkle, as will any orthodox bedding.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
We were told no kylies with an air flow mattress. We also have a ToTo which tilts at intervals. I think the two hour interval is for turning anyone who is bed bound and in danger of bed sores. Hubs did have a stage one pressure sore which we brought under control and so I am more than happy to listen to advice, it's worked for us.
Having said that he has only one sheet between him and the mattress so it isn't much trouble to change it.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
My OH has a catheter now, and although he and I hate it nights are much easier. We also have a hospital bed so that's much easier as well as it's just one sheet and I can wipe the mattress. I struggled to find an enclosing waterproof mattress cover to fit the other mattress because it was very deep.

I couldn't have managed without kylie sheets but I did cover them with a draw sheet. I made these by buying cotton sheets from the charity shop and cutting them so they were just the width of the kylie sheet. Don't really know if it was necessary to protect his skin, but in any case they were easier to scrub in the case of heavy soiling.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I was told by the continence nurse that too absorbent a pad would harm the skin by drawing moisture from it. Maybe this is the same with Kylie sheets?
Like Stanley, I use disposable bed pads now, bought in bulk from Incontinence Choice.
I have a few Kylie sheets (seems a misnomer to me, as they are more of a pad) which I use from time to time to protect furniture etc. but they are bulky to wash and dry, and I too was advised not to use them with the airflow mattress. But i suppose for an ordinary mattress they do provide good protection and save having to keep washing the mattress protector and sheet.
As long as they aren't causing any skin problems, why not use them?