Night incontinence, I'm getting desperate!

velademar

May 1, 2022
My OH is 73, has fronto-temporal dementia, 5 years in now and getting worse re memory, functioning etc, and mobility issues associated with this. He wears max absob pull up Tenna pants day and night - no issues through the day at the mo, he goes to the loo Ok and no leakages into pants. But at night, goodness, his pants are full in the morning and leak out into the bed every night so sheets washed every day. He does get up to the loo at least once a night too, and messes on the bathroom floor usually as well. I have disposable bed pads which catch most of it, but still leaks around as he sleeps in an odd curled up position. I've tried waterproof under sheet to protect the mattress, but this makes him really sweat. GP says all associated with his dementia, had checks for UTI, prostate and all clear, he doesn't drink anything for 2 hours before bed, but it's still happening. Any thoughts, tips or encouragement gratefully received!

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
Would it be possible to wake him and go to the bathroom with him to avoid wet pants and bathroom. Not ideal when you are getting a much earned sleep yourself but may avoid the aftermath of him waiting until too late plus a bathroom to clean and sheets to wash. My husband not incontinent but can be up 2/3 times in the night and he does need guidance to go to the toilet so I have to get up with him or risk a mess. He has been under urology for various things and nothing to improve things available. Unfortunately other than an understanding of what you are going through there may not be anything else helpful to offer but there maybe someone who has advice better than mine!

velademar

May 1, 2022
Would it be possible to wake him and go to the bathroom with him to avoid wet pants and bathroom. Not ideal when you are getting a much earned sleep yourself but may avoid the aftermath of him waiting until too late plus a bathroom to clean and sheets to wash. My husband not incontinent but can be up 2/3 times in the night and he does need guidance to go to the toilet so I have to get up with him or risk a mess. He has been under urology for various things and nothing to improve things available. Unfortunately other than an understanding of what you are going through there may not be anything else helpful to offer but there maybe someone who has advice better than mine!
Thank you @Blissy I was only thinking of that this morning, having a loo wake in the early hours and yes, a few minutes awake likely better than all the washing. I'll try it tonight 🙂

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I assume that you have tried restricting fluids in the late afternoon and evening and changing to decaffeinated tea and coffee. If your husband accumulates fluid round his legs and feet then lying down for a period during the day might help as this will encourage the fluid to return to the kidneys and leave the body as urine. How much urine does your husband pass during the day? Some people pass much more urine at night. This is a recognised medical condition called Nocturia. There is medication which can supress urine production at night.

velademar

May 1, 2022
I assume that you have tried restricting fluids in the late afternoon and evening and changing to decaffeinated tea and coffee. If your husband accumulates fluid round his legs and feet then lying down for a period during the day might help as this will encourage the fluid to return to the kidneys and leave the body as urine. How much urine does your husband pass during the day? Some people pass much more urine at night. This is a recognised medical condition called Nocturia. There is medication which can supress urine production at night.
Thank you we are with the GP tomorrow so will ask about nocturia meds. All decaf in our house and encourage fruit teas instead. He does pass more at night so we'll see what she says.

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
My OH is 73, has fronto-temporal dementia, 5 years in now and getting worse re memory, functioning etc, and mobility issues associated with this. He wears max absob pull up Tenna pants day and night - no issues through the day at the mo, he goes to the loo Ok and no leakages into pants. But at night, goodness, his pants are full in the morning and leak out into the bed every night so sheets washed every day. He does get up to the loo at least once a night too, and messes on the bathroom floor usually as well. I have disposable bed pads which catch most of it, but still leaks around as he sleeps in an odd curled up position. I've tried waterproof under sheet to protect the mattress, but this makes him really sweat. GP says all associated with his dementia, had checks for UTI, prostate and all clear, he doesn't drink anything for 2 hours before bed, but it's still happening. Any thoughts, tips or encouragement gratefully received!
If he sits down for long periods, encourage him to put his feet up. This improved things for my husband.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
Thank you @Blissy I was only thinking of that this morning, having a loo wake in the early hours and yes, a few minutes awake likely better than all the washing. I'll try it tonight 🙂
Let us know how you get on. May take a few nights to make it routine so don't give up if tonight doesn't work as you hope.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@velademar, I have similar problems with OH. He wears pull ups full time but uses the toilet during the day and rarely has a wet pull up. The night is
different. He usually wakes around 4 am and I go with him to the toilet. Generally the pull up can be dry or wet but not heavily so. Another hour and the tale is different! A very wet pull up that sometimes leaks producing a damp patch on the Kylie mat.
Would it be worth you waking your husband around 4am in the hope you can avoid the wet bed? Have to say my heart sinks when I look at the clock and it's 5am as I hope the leakage hasn't happened!
I put a Kylie mat across the bed and put a folded single sheet on top so it's the same width as the Kylie. I don't like the feel of the mats as I find them a bit rough. I know that gives a sheet to wash as well as the Kylie but it's easier than a full bed change.

Disposable bed mats wouldn't be sufficient to protect the bed in our house🙂

velademar

May 1, 2022
@velademar, I have similar problems with OH. He wears pull ups full time but uses the toilet during the day and rarely has a wet pull up. The night is
different. He usually wakes around 4 am and I go with him to the toilet. Generally the pull up can be dry or wet but not heavily so. Another hour and the tale is different! A very wet pull up that sometimes leaks producing a damp patch on the Kylie mat.
Would it be worth you waking your husband around 4am in the hope you can avoid the wet bed? Have to say my heart sinks when I look at the clock and it's 5am as I hope the leakage hasn't happened!
I put a Kylie mat across the bed and put a folded single sheet on top so it's the same width as the Kylie. I don't like the feel of the mats as I find them a bit rough. I know that gives a sheet to wash as well as the Kylie but it's easier than a full bed change.

Disposable bed mats wouldn't be sufficient to protect the bed in our house🙂
Yes that's the same here always happens later part of the night. I'm thinking I'll do the same as you with a Kylie as I agree they feel a bit rough which is why I've been using disposable and also to avoid washing, but it hasn't! I'm going to do the get up with him thing ( we sleep in separate rooms, have for years) but I usually hear him getting up so I'll be ready with a fresh pull up. For better or for worse they said, never thought of this! X

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Ah ..we share a bed,I wear hearing aids and don't sleep in them ,and I wouldn't know he'd got up if we slept separately. But the Kylie contains the damp patch to just under his bottom and if I'm lucky it's not too often ,about every 10 days on average. . Hasn't got me , thankfully .

velademar

May 1, 2022
Ah ..we share a bed,I wear hearing aids and don't sleep in them ,and I wouldn't know he'd got up if we slept separately. But the Kylie contains the damp patch to just under his bottom and if I'm lucky it's not too often ,about every 10 days on average. . Hasn't got me , thankfully .
😊👍👍

velademar

May 1, 2022
I use puppy pads for floor much cheaper than bed pads. I put bed mats under the sheets
I've started using puppy pads too but it's costing me a lot in bed pads. Was advised disposable for hygiene but we're really going through them so I'm off to buy a couple of Kylie pads this morning.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I've started using puppy pads too but it's costing me a lot in bed pads. Was advised disposable for hygiene but we're really going through them so I'm off to buy a couple of Kylie pads this morning.
@velademar , I use wash sanitizer that kills 99% germs in the rinse and wash on 40 °. Much quicker wash and cheaper than a full wash 95°
If you shop in Morrisons or Home Bargains you can get own brands or non big branded which are reasonably priced😃

Branded Kylie mats are more expensive but hold several litres of liquid.,depending on size. It will say on the pack

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
For those of you sleeping in another room but need alerting I use a caregiver indoor motion detector. It chimes in my room when my husband makes his way to the bathroom so I can get up to assist. Not sure how to post a link but available on Amazon for about £25.

velademar

May 1, 2022
For those of you sleeping in another room but need alerting I use a caregiver indoor motion detector. It chimes in my room when my husband makes his way to the bathroom so I can get up to assist. Not sure how to post a link but available on Amazon for about £25.
Thx I've ordered one, will be a big help x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suze100