Night carer for elderly dad recently diagnosed with early stages of dementia

Toodlepipfornow

Oct 27, 2017
Hi,

I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place - please say if I am.

My question is a very short one.

We are considering getting a night carer/sitter for my 98-year old Dad who has been diagnosed with early stage dementia and, following a recent visit to hospital, has returned home very confused and disorientated and keeps trying to get out of bed.

If he did, his legs wouldn't support him because he is very weak, and we are worried sick that he will fall and hurt himself, or worse. My 92-year old mum sleeps in the room with him but there is no way she could help him if he fell.

I have been told that a night carer/sitter could be a big help, but that they go to sleep.

Does anyone know if this is actually the case? I will call the care agency on Monday but wondered if anyone could answer the question in the meantime.

I thought a night carer would be awake and 'on call', as it were, to help if my dad tries to get out of bed, needs assistance, etc.

My concern is that if they're asleep, there's no guarantee they would wake up if needed.

Can anyone clarify, please?

Thanks in advance.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I should think a night sitter should stay awake and if not in the room, should be close by so they can see and hear if your father attempts to get up. My husband had 1:1 care in his nursing home and the night Carer sat outside his room with the door open enough to see my husband. The job would be classed as a night shift.

I think if it was an actual 24/7 Carer then they would expect to sleep at night.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
There are two sorts of night carer, one that stays awake all night, and one that is there to be woken if needs be.

If you want an 'awake all night' tell the agency, but do expect it to be quite costly. (£100 a 12 hour shift wouldn't surprise me)

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Your requirement is for a night sitter as against a waking carer who will sleep and attend to your dad if he gets up. However from.my experience an agency allows as little as two night disturbances for a waking carer which would not seem adequate for your dad. It is expensive though

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm wondering if rather than a night carer, you actually need a system to ensure he doesn't get out of bed in the first place?

If you do have a night carer, you will probably need an alarm system that alerts that person if your father attempts to get up. There are pressure pads that do this.

Toodlepipfornow

Oct 27, 2017
I should think a night sitter should stay awake and if not in the room, should be close by so they can see and hear if your father attempts to get up. My husband had 1:1 care in his nursing home and the night Carer sat outside his room with the door open enough to see my husband. The job would be classed as a night shift.

I think if it was an actual 24/7 Carer then they would expect to sleep at night.

Thank you, jaymor. From the replies I've received, it sounds like I need a night sitter, not a night carer. Thanks again.

Toodlepipfornow

Oct 27, 2017
There are two sorts of night carer, one that stays awake all night, and one that is there to be woken if needs be.

If you want an 'awake all night' tell the agency, but do expect it to be quite costly. (£100 a 12 hour shift wouldn't surprise me)

Thanks, Jessbow. I didn't know that - that's very helpful. The agency have quoted £175 for a nine-hour night shift which is very expensive but they've also quoted the same daily rate for a full-time live in carer who will help Dad and Mum. Thanks again for the info.

Toodlepipfornow

Oct 27, 2017
Your requirement is for a night sitter as against a waking carer who will sleep and attend to your dad if he gets up. However from.my experience an agency allows as little as two night disturbances for a waking carer which would not seem adequate for your dad. It is expensive though

Thanks, love.dad.but... that makes perfect sense. A night sitter is exactly what we need. Thanks again.

Toodlepipfornow

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if rather than a night carer, you actually need a system to ensure he doesn't get out of bed in the first place?

If you do have a night carer, you will probably need an alarm system that alerts that person if your father attempts to get up. There are pressure pads that do this.

Thanks, jenniferpa, Yes, you're right. Last night, we had to barricade dad into his bed by putting his armchair and his commode alongside the bed so he couldn't get out. Unfortunately, that was after he'd already managed to slip out and catch his arm in the rail at the side of the bed, which necessitated an ambulance at one in the morning. All very distressing for him and my mum.

We are trying to get a proper guard for the bed from social services but meantime, the armchair and commode to block him in seemed to do the trick. Not ideal, by any stretch of the imagination, but resources are limited.

Will look into pressure pads. Thanks so much for the advice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david m