NHS Continuing funding

katypooh

Apr 1, 2022
My Mum is in a Care Home and is soon to be assessed for NHS continuing funding. I would like to know what happens to her pension, will she still receive it, or does it go to the NHS to fund part of her care?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My Mum is in a Care Home and is soon to be assessed for NHS continuing funding. I would like to know what happens to her pension, will she still receive it, or does it go to the NHS to fund part of her care?
If I am right I think you mean CHC funding and yes the NHS pay for this. There are two levels FNC and full funding by the CHC. If your mum is granted full funding then her pension and other estate are left intact -they are not used to pay for her care. If she is granted FNC then depending on her own finances she will pay the rest of the care fees out of her own estate which the state can take her state pension for. There is no way round this. If you are asking what to do with someones pension or estate where things are undecided then you have no choice but to preserve any income she has until a decision is reached. If she is not entitled to CHC funding your mum will then have to pay towards her care so long as she remains over the threshold of £23,250, but if she falls below this the LA will pay until her money goes above it and then expect your mum to pay any difference. In any event the LA will ask you at some point to provide bank statements as to your mums accounts and prove her income.

Your mums care home can apply for CHC for your mum or you can do it yourself or if your mum has a social worker you can ask them to do it, I would advise you seek some help before you apply because the process is lengthy and actually very contentious

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
CHC in a residential setting is analogous with a stay in hospital, DWP pension and mobility PIP are retained, most other DWP benefits are forfeited after 28 days.

In a domestic setting DWP pension, AA, and all PIP are all retained.