NHS and LPA and carers attendance at hospital

Susan Rouse

Mar 14, 2018
Has anyone had as much trouble as me when accompanying their husband/wife to hospital appointments during the Covid period? My husband was diagnosed with mild dementia four years ago, recently the hospital questioned his capacity to give consent for a camera test, with just cause Because he couldn’t tell them why he was, what procedure he was having, what complications could occur despite me going over this umpteen times with him and me thinking I had won that battle. The hospital didn’t take any notice at all that I could the sign form on his behalf because he has got LPA for H&W, drawn up by a solicitor and ratified by the court of protection plus it had been logged with said hospital beforehand too. What is the point of doing this if, when it is needed ,the NHS takes no notice of it? My GP referred him back to mental health services to be reassessed. Her referral came back as “not appropriate”. Another thing is, why are households like mine not allowed to form support bubbles because there are two of us living here? We both need support, my family are happy to supply it but we want to do that within the law. Both of us suffer from serious health issues, we both need support and I need to be able to have a fluent conversation at least once a day and preferably, not on the phone each time. Come on NHS, let’s see you doing more to support carers.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
On the support bubble issue the latest regulations widened the scope. Regulation 3 says:

3.—(1) For the purposes of these Regulations, a “linked household” means a household that is linked with another household in accordance with this regulation.

(2) Where a household (“the first household”) comprises—

(a)one adult,

(b)one or more children and no adults,

(c)one adult and one or more children who are under the age of 18 or were under that age on 12th June 2020,

(d)one or more adults and a child who is under the age of one or was under that age on 2nd December 2020,

(e)one or more adults and a child who has a disability and requires continuous care who is under the age of five or was under that age on 2nd December 2020, or

(f)one or more persons who have a disability and who require continuous care, on their own or together with—

(i)one individual who does not have a disability, or

(ii)more than one such individual but including no more than one adult who was aged 18 or over on 2nd December 2020,

the individuals in the first household may choose to be linked with one other household (“the second household”).

So, to simplify that if you are not disabled and you live with and care for someone who requires continuous care, and no other adults live with you, you can form a support bubble with another household.

It must be an exclusive bubble, neither household can link with any other.

If at least one of you can be considered to have a disability then you can form a support bubble. There is no definition of disability in the regulations so dementia if fairly severe would certainly be justification.

This isn't going to apply if your husband can be left alone for a reasonable time.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Every time The Banjoman attended hospital I took a certified copy of his H & W LPA in with me and made sure they knew about it because very often they would say “We don’t have his previous notes yet”. I thought that’s what computerising everything was supposed to avoid but apparently not!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi, @Susan Rouse
Im afraid tha @Banjomansmate is right - the hospital cannot just take your word for it that you hold H&W POA - they have to see a certified copy each time. I think computerisation of the hospital notes will reach the stage where they can just computerise the POA, but in many places it isnt there yet.