New Trousers.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Anyone with experience of a CH. knows what their laundries can do to clothes. When I saw that my wife’s trouser legs were well above her ankles, I thought that it was time to buy some new ones. I didn’t remember her size and the labels on the old ones had disappeared. My wife wasn’t able to help, not understanding my questions. Never mind, I thought we’ll nip into a well-known clothes store where she can try on a few. On the way there, I began to wonder if this was a good idea. Arriving, I tried to find out which ones she liked, but she was more concerned with telling everybody what a wonderful place this was. I picked out a few pairs and shepherded her towards the trying on cubicles. I tried to get the assistant’s help, but she didn’t understand the situation, and ignored me, while my wife told her what a wonderful place this was. So my dear wife disappeared into the cubicle area with the new trousers, only to appear in a very few moments to ask what she had to do. Unfortunately, she had got as far as taking her old trousers off first. I will draw a veil over the rest of the adventure, only to say it went from bad to bl**dy difficult very quickly. At some point, I got a fit of the giggles which didn’t help. I think it was hysteria.
Even if the store were to allow us back in , I would never try that again.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a shame. A need for dementia training for shop staff I think. I can understand your fits of the giggles though! I used to send for things online for my mum. I'd buy different sizes and send back those we didn't want. A bit of a hassle but easier than the changing room!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Oh Gringo that didn't go very well did it :)

If you had asked I am sure they would have let you go in with her, I often see men go in with women into the cubicles and no-one bats a eyelid, I hope you have recovered now, it might be a good idea to measure the trousers that she wears then you have a bit of an idea what to get or ask one of the female staff at the CH they will have a good idea ,
I can understand a fit of the giggles I get them I think it is hysteria :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Your prose is very easy and enjoyable, sorry your shopping visit wasn't a similar experience. Yes, buying several and returning most items seems your best option. - Twiddler

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
I have often accompanied my wife into the ladies fitting rooms (and , dare I say it, the ladies toilets. When needs must, anything goes!) in many a store. Having explained the situation to the attendants I have always found them understanding, some offering to help themselves and others letting me through with my wife. I recall one assistant shouting into the ladies fitting area prior to my visit, 'Look out ladies, keep your curtains closed, gentleman passing through'. As time has progressed the situation has become more difficult and having gained a good idea of my wifes sizes I now use the internet for most items, where it is easy to return unsuitable items if necessary. We do get the occasional strange look when disappearing into, or reappearing from disabled toilets, as my wife is still mobile, thankfully, and outwardly appears very well.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Even though, at one stage, I felt as if I had been cast as Sid James in 'Carry on up the Ladies Changing Rooms', I couldn't quite manage that knowing leer of his.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Just bought new trousers for OH in a local shop in a well known East Anglian Coastal town and the service could not have been better and more understanding. The only place that comes close is in a mid Cornwall town, an old fashioned gents outfitters. So there are a few around. Small town service, maybe?

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Gringo, your posts are always so full of the best of what the French called "la condition humaine". To suffer, to know joy, to understand that life is absurd. I salute you for the courage to attempt such a trip - and what a pity that the shop just didn't cotton on and help you to help your wife. My outings with Mum often ended, like yours, with "Collapse of stout party"....

I used to shop for Mum in a high street store akin to Parks and Fencer (perhaps the same hapless one you tried?) - but they have very good pull up trousers with a little gilt bit on the front. No belts, elasticated back and seem to withstand the sternest of washes. You can buy often for about £ 15 and somehow they always look quite smart. Joggers with Mary Berry attitude.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I used to shop for Mum in a high street store akin to Parks and Fencer (perhaps the same hapless one you tried?) - but they have very good pull up trousers with a little gilt bit on the front. No belts, elasticated back and seem to withstand the sternest of washes. You can buy often for about £ 15 and somehow they always look quite smart. Joggers with Mary Berry attitude.

They sound so familiar!! I used to get these for my mum. They come in lots of lovely colours and patterns etc too.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex

The staples of my mum's wardrobe too! If you can be bothered Gringo might be worth a letter to whichever shop it was, suggesting some dementia friendly training, or some customer care training full stop! :rolleyes:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I am so glad you giggled rather than got frustrated. Matalan are very good, you can buy try and return if they don't fit, I am sure other stores offer the same service M&S springs to mind.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hello gringo
Your experience getting clothes for your wife brought back memories
I was luckier than you my wife was never in a care home ,but I used to do all the laundry and had the advantage of being able to get the sizes off of the labels
That was where the advantages stopped
Until my wife succumbed to AD I never bought my own clothes , underwear , socks etc. all purchased by her , ( and I was never sure of the sizes)
My first venture into buying panties and bra' was very embarrassing , even being alone in the Ladies underwear Dept. was enough to turn my face crimson
Then to stand trying to sort out sizes whilst the ladies looked at me a bit old fashioned , made me sweat 'buckets
Things changed a bit when I was on my hands and knees looking for a packet of
medium , 15 denier . 'bamboo 'tights ( however do I still remember ) and I was challenged by the store detective because some 'bright lady suspected me of looking up the ladies skirts
from then on I always asked for a lady assistant to help me

Just as an aside I remember just after I started getting used to doing my own shopping I went into M&S to buy a pack of ’Y’fronts Back home some time later when I went to put on a pair I found they had no !!!! hole in the front
I took them back and rather embarrassed explained my predicament to the lady assistant
She kindly took me to the display opened a pack , and with a a little glint in her eye stuck her finger through the hole, wiggled it and said “is this what you want ??
jimbo111

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I have often accompanied my wife into the ladies fitting rooms (and , dare I say it, the ladies toilets. When needs must, anything goes!) in many a store. Having explained the situation to the attendants I have always found them understanding, some offering to help themselves and others letting me through with my wife. I recall one assistant shouting into the ladies fitting area prior to my visit, 'Look out ladies, keep your curtains closed, gentleman passing through'. As time has progressed the situation has become more difficult and having gained a good idea of my wifes sizes I now use the internet for most items, where it is easy to return unsuitable items if necessary. We do get the occasional strange look when disappearing into, or reappearing from disabled toilets, as my wife is still mobile, thankfully, and outwardly appears very well.

Sorry about your situation but that has made my day :D:D:D:D

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
I am thankful that I have, and occasionally still experience some humourous moments with my wife and our attempts to maintain 'Life as we know it, Jim'. At these times they help to keep my feet on the ground and I know that when she laughs with (or at) me all is not lost. I am a firm believer that laughter is the greatest reliever of stress and helps to keep us 'young'. It is heart warming to see that others on TP can see and appreciate the humour that crops up in our caring roles and long may it continue, even when we are responding to someones post relating to a dilemma they are facing.
And to finish. I too came across the 'Joggers with Mary Berry attitude' (Haylett's post above) and they proved extremely useful; easy to get my wife into and out of, easy to wash and dry, and they stayed pressed. They are even easier to get on and off now, as my wife has dropped from size 16/18 to 12/14 since getting them (now off to a charity). Keep smiling.