New to this (carer to my mum)

AuntPettitoes

Jun 21, 2023
Hello. Mum has been newly diagnosed and is in early stages. She’s quite cognitive at the moment, so far it’s classic symptoms like forgetfulness and lack of understanding anything new or technology. And misremembering a past event or conversation. She’s just started living with us as her home is 200 miles away. She’s happy to sell up and make the move permanent. i have so many questions. I’m very much looking forward to reading through these posts because currently I just feel so unsettled.. I don’t know what I need to know! Mum and I are very close (lost my dad 10 years ago) and I’m struggling with the changes in her, and my inability to know how to help her. Sometimes she can get angry if she’s not believed (if she says something we know isn’t true and might question her, but we’re learning not to do that unless it’s for her well being). One of my friends said “step into her world”, which I try to keep in my head for times like when she’s adamant a piece of washing isn’t hers, or that there are three episodes of Hollyoaks on every night and they definitely aren’t repeats. i have a fantastic husband and two grown up children, all very much wanting to support mums needs as best we can. I have full LPOA, mum put this in place years ago “just in case” so at least the doctors etc will talk to me as well as mum.
I hope to find lots of practical advice here, but for now, how do you cope? I mean day to day? I’m at home with mum most of the day and our house is really small. If I go for a bath then mum will find something she needs to ask me and sit chatting outside the door. Sometimes I get up early so I can get things done, if mum hears me she’ll get up too saying she doesn’t want me to be on my own. She’s adamant she doesn’t want to be a hindrance so she’ll get up to do the washing up (if I do it then she’ll just try to get there even earlier next time). She’ll fall asleep during the evening but refuse to go to bed until I say I’m going up. If I say it’s like a needy toddler I feel so awful and unkind, yet that’s how it is. I love her, I love her so much and it’s breaking my heart to know this is as good as she’s ever going to be, but sometimes I need to vent my frustration and cry, but there’s no opportunity to do that. I’m in this for the long haul, and I feel I’m failing already! Luckily mum seems oblivious. She says she has “head issues” but thinks that the tablets will make her better (she’s been put on Donepezil, taking since last week). She doesn’t mention Alzheimer’s except to say “thank goodness I won’t get to that stage”. Thank you for reading, sorry for rambling.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @AuntPettitoes and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I am sorry to hear about your Mum. I note that you have Power of Attorney already which will be a great help when decisions need to be made. As she is now living in a new area, I am guessing that she will not be known to your local social services. It might be a good idea to ask for an adult needs assessment for her and a carer's assessment for yourself. This can be helpful in developing a care plan, although if she is likely to be self-funding there may be little else offered by social services. I guess that you already have in hand changing her GP. It would also be worth checking out facilities in your local area. Such things as dementia cafes, day centres, befrienders and carers, and opportunities for respite stays can significantly help with the considerable task of caring for a person in the domestic environment.

Now that you have found this community please come here to share issues, ask questions or to let off steam. You'll find a great deal of empathy, understanding and good suggestions here.

AuntPettitoes

Jun 21, 2023
Thank you for all that! It’s only been a week since she came to stay so there’s everything to sort out, your suggestions are really helpful.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Is this an experiment or is the move to your home permanent?

Your mother is entirely dependent on you for company as she doesn’t know anybody else in the area and, unfortunately, it won’t be easy for her to make new friends or get involved in things in the ‘normal’ way because of her dementia. It sounds as if she doesn’t have any home based hobbies such as knitting or drawing Have you looked into things like local lunch clubs, memory cafes and day centres for her?

It sounds as if she’s at the ‘shadowing’ stage if she’s following you around all the time. This is unlikely to change until her dementia gets much worse. I think that to keep your sanity you are going to have to put some time way from you in place in the form of activities outside the house and / or sitters and befrienders coming to the house and perhaps taking her out.

Dementia is about so much more than short-term memory loss….

Rachael03

Apr 17, 2023
Welcome to the forum! You're in the right place to vent and get practical advice. I think you've a lot to think about in terms of how your days and weeks will be managed with your mother and your own life and wellbeing.

There is already some good things to think about mentioned above. You won't get it all figured out overnight so don't beat yourself up to get all the answers right now..I suspect there will be trial and error until you get some routines and support in place that work for you both.

From your post it sounds like you care deeply about your mother. I can understand that fully based on the relationship I have with my own, who is also is the dementia sufferer in my case. But please make sure to put your own wellbeing at the top of this list of considerations too. You mentioned you're in the for the 'long haul' which is something that was mentioned to me too a few months ago when we got the diagnosis. Even over the course of a few months I've learned this means to be kind to ourselves in order to be able to support the person we love.

Keep posting and asking for advice as and when you need it. You're in a safe space where people understand what you're going through.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @AuntPettitoes. I wonder if this will help you find activities near you for your mum. I'd also look on your local authority's website and maybe local Facebook pages. Local churches and stately homes often have things on. Some you would need to go to with your mum,

AuntPettitoes

Jun 21, 2023
Is this an experiment or is the move to your home permanent?

Your mother is entirely dependent on you for company as she doesn’t know anybody else in the area and, unfortunately, it won’t be easy for her to make new friends or get involved in things in the ‘normal’ way because of her dementia. It sounds as if she doesn’t have any home based hobbies such as knitting or drawing Have you looked into things like local lunch clubs, memory cafes and day centres for her?

It sounds as if she’s at the ‘shadowing’ stage if she’s following you around all the time. This is unlikely to change until her dementia gets much worse. I think that to keep your sanity you are going to have to put some time way from you in place in the form of activities outside the house and / or sitters and befrienders coming to the house and perhaps taking her out.

Dementia is about so much more than short-term memory loss….
Thank you for replying. Mum has never been one for clubs or hobbies, we’ve often had a laugh together about how I get my crafty side from my dad. She doesn’t like gardening or cooking or knitting or anything else. Her current home is a flat in sheltered housing and she’ll often say how she won’t go to bingo or anything organised because she’s not interested and besides, it’s full of old people. she’s 77! The move will be permanent, we’re hoping to convert a barn to an annexe. I can’t take her to clubs or meet people because she’d just hate it, it’s never been her thing (even at Christmas she’ll go and do washing up rather than play games).
When I wrote my first post I just wanted to let out how I felt. It seems I’ve given the wrong impression, I’m happy to look after her. I am her main friend here (myself and husband, and a couple of neighbours who she’ll chat to). As mum is still in early stage, most of her symptoms are in fact short term memory loss, meaning she acts and behaves as she’s always done, and does not see herself changing in any way (she is, but gradually).

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When I wrote my first post I just wanted to let out how I felt. It seems I’ve given the wrong impression, I’m happy to look after her.
I dont think anyone doubts that you want to look after her @AuntPettitoes , its just that we all know how hard it is, especially as the dementia progresses. We also know that a change in accommodation can make people more unsettled. I was thinking of having my mum come and live with me, so I arranged for her to come and stay with me to see how it would work. I very quickly discovered that mum was much worse than I had realised (I think she hid it well in her own home) and I lasted no more than a weekend.

Cross-patch

Jun 21, 2023
I dont think anyone doubts that you want to look after her @AuntPettitoes , its just that we all know how hard it is, especially as the dementia progresses. We also know that a change in accommodation can make people more unsettled. I was thinking of having my mum come and live with me, so I arranged for her to come and stay with me to see how it would work. I very quickly discovered that mum was much worse than I had realised (I think she hid it well in her own home) and I lasted no more than a weekend.
hello! Aunt Pettitoes daughter here, completely agree that the more the Alzheimer’s progresses the harder it’s going to be, it’s all so new to all of us in the family that forums like this will hopefully be really helpful with advice/tips on what to do and expect. It was actually Nanny’s idea to move in with mum, of course with mum and dad’s permission! She’s spent so much time with them over the last few years (pre-diagnosis) that it really is a home from home for her, so hopefully she won’t feel too unsettled. She also loves mum and dad’s dogs and the part of the country they live in, so hopefully that helps! Xx

AuntPettitoes

Jun 21, 2023
Welcome to the forum! You're in the right place to vent and get practical advice. I think you've a lot to think about in terms of how your days and weeks will be managed with your mother and your own life and wellbeing.

There is already some good things to think about mentioned above. You won't get it all figured out overnight so don't beat yourself up to get all the answers right now..I suspect there will be trial and error until you get some routines and support in place that work for you both.

From your post it sounds like you care deeply about your mother. I can understand that fully based on the relationship I have with my own, who is also is the dementia sufferer in my case. But please make sure to put your own wellbeing at the top of this list of considerations too. You mentioned you're in the for the 'long haul' which is something that was mentioned to me too a few months ago when we got the diagnosis. Even over the course of a few months I've learned this means to be kind to ourselves in order to be able to support the person we love.

Keep posting and asking for advice as and when you need it. You're in a safe space where people understand what you're going through.
Thank you, it’s so nice to just be able to share.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Welcome to you both 😀 There are a few of us here who live and care for our mum’s with dementia. It’s certainly hard work but rewarding. I took on my mum at middle stage (I think). She struggles with her memory, processing - ie she says she forgets how to get into the car etc, is now incontinent at night and often confuses me for a friend.

I think your wise to move her now before things get worse. Perhaps think about a routine that would work for you all - activities you can do together which you all enjoy and how you‘re going to get some space.

My mum has actually got easier to look after as she now is happy watching TV whereas earlier on needed more stimulation. We go out each day for a drive and coffee. She enjoys people watching whilst I have a walk for my wellbeing.

Think about what will happen when she deteriorates so you have some plan in mind. I’ve started using pads etc before they were needed so it hasn’t come as an emergency.

Explore the site and some of the regular threads - keep posting 😀

Cross-patch

Jun 21, 2023
Welcome to you both 😀 There are a few of us here who live and care for our mum’s with dementia. It’s certainly hard work but rewarding. I took on my mum at middle stage (I think). She struggles with her memory, processing - ie she says she forgets how to get into the car etc, is now incontinent at night and often confuses me for a friend.

I think your wise to move her now before things get worse. Perhaps think about a routine that would work for you all - activities you can do together which you all enjoy and how you‘re going to get some space.

My mum has actually got easier to look after as she now is happy watching TV whereas earlier on needed more stimulation. We go out each day for a drive and coffee. She enjoys people watching whilst I have a walk for my wellbeing.

Think about what will happen when she deteriorates so you have some plan in mind. I’ve started using pads etc before they were needed so it hasn’t come as an emergency.

Thank you for your advice! Coffee is definitely more Nanny’s vibe, that or ice cream eh @AuntPettitoes
Some good advice for future here xx

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Ice cream always a winner here too!!! Plus a great motivator……mum why don’t you have a wash / go to the loo/ change …..and then I’ll get you some ice cream 🤣🤣 works every time!

AuntPettitoes

Jun 21, 2023

Thank you, my mum loves going out for a drive/coffee too.
How did or do you approach things like the pads? Mum’s not at that stage - as far as she’s concerned she’s just forgetful and will getter better soon - and I’m finding that if I try to discuss things which might make her life easier (and mine), she ‘ll just refuse. She can’t imagine herself needing help, if I try to push it she just gets annoyed with me.

Rachael03

Apr 17, 2023
How did or do you approach things like the pads? Mum’s not at that stage - as far as she’s concerned she’s just forgetful and will getter better soon - and I’m finding that if I try to discuss things which might make her life easier (and mine), she ‘ll just refuse. She can’t imagine herself needing help, if I try to push it she just gets annoyed with me.
I think its best to start introducing certain things as and when they are needed and not any earlier eg incontinence pads. There would be no need for your mum to wear them now based on what you've said. She might not need them for some time either so really could be something for much further down the line.

My mum has just started to have overnight incontinence issues this last few weeks. She's only 73 and quite vain when it comes to aging and I've been shocked at how receptive she's been to trying the pads and pull ups. You might be surprised how welcoming your mum is of extra help as and when it is needed, although of course it won't be without its challenges.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I generally just introduce things with a chirpy smile but don’t offer a direct choice as the answer will always be no. So with the pads mum had been given them during some respite so I carried on ….when she said I don’t need them (which to be fair she didn’t at the time) I said of course you don’t but put it on anyway….saying something like you might be feeling tired in the night, or the disabled toilet might be broken etc.

What I have seen from here is that everyone is different as is their PWD and set up. You work to find solutions that work for you and your routine. For me trying to be ahead of the game allows me to feel a bit more in control’ and not having to adjust the routine in a crisis but try to adjust as I see it coming. For example we have a steep step to get out of the front door. Mum has been managing it but I can foresee soon she will trip or it will be too much. Rather than get to that point I said to her let’s trial the wheelchair and ramp for the step at a time and day of my choosing. That’s workrd and so now we do it that way.

hope that makes sense and you find out what works for you as a family.

Rachael03

Apr 17, 2023
I generally just introduce things with a chirpy smile but don’t offer a direct choice as the answer will always be no. So with the pads mum had been given them during some respite so I carried on ….when she said I don’t need them (which to be fair she didn’t at the time) I said of course you don’t but put it on anyway….saying something like you might be feeling tired in the night, or the disabled toilet might be broken etc.

What I have seen from here is that everyone is different as is their PWD and set up. You work to find solutions that work for you and your routine. For me trying to be ahead of the game allows me to feel a bit more in control’ and not having to adjust the routine in a crisis but try to adjust as I see it coming. For example we have a steep step to get out of the front door. Mum has been managing it but I can foresee soon she will trip or it will be too much. Rather than get to that point I said to her let’s trial the wheelchair and ramp for the step at a time and day of my choosing. That’s workrd and so now we do it that way.

hope that makes sense and you find out what works for you as a family.
Very good point made about trying to get on top of things before crisis mode hits. Its very hard to think straight when youre in firefighting mode as ive learned.

There's generally lots of small changes that can be made to living arrangements and lifestyle gradually which are best interest of both pwd and carer. We've actually made so many little changes over the last 7-9 months and as they've happened slowly we've all adjusted and are happy with the new way of doing things....eg suggesting she doesn't shower or wash her hair if in the house alone to prevent the risk of a fall. And so far she has followed our advice so we don't need to worry about that for now at least 😉