New to forum

Lynny123

Mar 26, 2012
Hi
This is all new to me as I've never joined a forum! My mother has had some form of dementia for nearly 2 years now. Hers manifests itself oddly in that she sees my father a someone completely different! It happens probably once or twice a day and he has to manage it by texting my sister. She then has to phone their house and ask to speak to dad. Mum says he's no there but shouts upstairs for him and he then turns back to dad. She has no idea there is anything wrong with her. He memory is appalling and now she seems to think they have another dog. So is this another hallucination? There is a form of dementia which can be bought on by severely poor eyesight which she has. I can't remember what it's called. The most upsetting thing is, I'm sure if my dad had addressed the problem right at the beginning then maybe she would be on some kind of medication now and not so bad. My father has developed a heart condition as a direct result of the problems. My mum is 86 years old and dad is 81. Does anyone have similar experiences?

choccy

Jul 20, 2011
Derbyshire
I believe its Charles Bonnet syndrome that your thinking of?
They thought my Dad had it at first due to his poor vision. I think the hallucinations with that are a little different, small people, people standing in lines, obscured faces... my Dad had all the symptoms, but his diagnosis was Vascular Dementia.
To be honest, to me, it doesn't really matter what type of dementia he has, he's had a few med's that helped a little, but the dementia will never leave him.
My Dad's first symptom was thinking the audience on the televised snooker were waving to him!
I'm so glad you've found TP, it will be a great source of comfort and support for you.

There is medication that can help with hallucinations, a trip to your Mum's gp should start the ball rolling, or her cpn if she already has one.

dizzywizzy

Mar 23, 2012
Hi

This is very familiar to me, my Dad has had increasingly bizarre behaviour and has no idea he has a problem. He can appear quite normal, It has recently got out of hand and he has ended up in hospital but thats a different story. The hardest thing has always been that he has no idea he is having problems and that when we tell him what he has done, he either doesn't remember or accuses us of making it up.
We have had a major problem getting him to see a Dr and they were useless when we did and he just got cross. I have no real advice but can really sympathise.

Lynny123

Mar 26, 2012
thank you for replying. It does make me feel better but the really irritating thing is that there is no danger of ever getting her to a doctor as she thinks she's completely fine! today she said she was really fed up with the other people living in the house and thought that she would probably leave! I wonder if she got on medication would it make any difference now?