new to forum - glad I found it

deegirl

Oct 9, 2011
Canada
Hello everyone,
I have never done anything like this before and am not sure where to start. Internet forums have never been something that I have taken an interest in until now.

I just discovered this site yesterday and have been reading the postings from the last few days. Already I feel less alone, just reading what others are going through. I am worried that if I start telling my story I will not be able to stop and my first posting will become way too long. I am so used to trying to handle things on my own and I don't like feeling like I am being a whiner.

I have been trying hard lately to try to focus on the positive things in life. And I try not to bottle things up completely. I know if I continue to do that I will just make myself crazy. Finding this site has given me hope that I can make connections with others who are dealing with caring for a parent with dementia. I am lucky I have a few people in my life who know what I am going through and try to understand. But I find I am holding more and more back from them. They have good intentions, but often their advice is so un-informed that it just makes me feel worse. And I also feel that they are just tired of hearing about it. As one of my oh-so-helpful brothers said to me .... "buck up".
So, mostly I just feel I am supposed to not complain and just deal with it!

Hmm...oops....this is already getting to long!

So again....just wanted to dip my toe in and say hello for now. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you and hopefully sharing in yours as well.

Thanks for being here :)

Dee

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Welcome to Talking Point, Deegirl. Please feel free to write as much as you want, whenever you want. People here will want to help you if they can, no matter how much you write.
Kind regards Deborah

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
You sound just like me when I joined. TP has been a lifeline to me.
I look forward to reading more of your story & will help if I can. My mum has vascular dementia. It's a hard road to travel isn't it? But here, we are not alone on the journey. X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No your post is not too long Dee. It`s why TP is here.

People do pay lip service to asking how things are. They do care but really don`t want to know all the details or hear them too often.

You will still have some positives in your life and I hope you will try to keep them with you. They are what will see you through.

Hopefully Talking Point will be one of the positives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liseylou20