New member... Hi

Jopaco

Aug 31, 2019
Hello, I'm a newbie. My mum & I had our first meeting with a lovely lady 'Sheena' from the Alzheimer Society this week and I've just received info for support & info and logged on today!
Its taken along time to finally admit I can't do this 'alone' anymore! I first went to my mum's GP and actually cried as trying to explain to the receptionist..... I don't know what to do now! ...... My dear old mum of 88 yrs young was deteriorating before my eyes and I just didn't know who to turn to? Memory loss, misplacing things, then forgetting to take her pills was my turning point!.... I now needed help!
Its taken months but I finally feel & know I'm not alone. I'm quite a jolly little soul but find I can easily burst into tears now while watching TV or seeing a friendly face who actually asks 'how are you doing?' (Then later feel silly and wished I had held it together as showed a weaker side of me!)
But, now getting a little help from an elderly care nurse from her GP surgery and recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, we are now awaiting social services for help & advice with her living situations etc.
AND, I've been told I need to take care of 'ME'.... been told this by quite a few but do to having a near miss experience with a car made me realize 'if anything happens to me ...'who will give my mum her meds and attend to her needs??? so scary! So hello everyone, sorry for the long post and look forward to future help & advice from you all xxxx Have a good weekend xxxxxxxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @Jopaco and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis but it sounds like you have things falling into place. I do so understand how hard it is when someone is nice to you - even just asking how you’re doing. I’m sure lots of us have been there too.

I’m glad you’ve found Dementia Talking Point. You’ll get lots of help and support here. As well as support from the members there are loads of factsheets which you might find useful When you’re read it might be an idea to have a glance at the titles and see if there’s anything whi8ch would be helpful just now.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Keep posting!