New diagnosis

SCHOEY62

Mar 25, 2024
My name is Gill and my mother in law has just been diagnosed with both vascular dementia and Alzheimers. Quite daunting in reading the first couple of leaflets, cross referencing to numerous other leaflet codes. I havd been told someone will contact me to discuss further support. Just wondering when and what I need to be doing if anything to be prepared.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @GillSchofield and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your mother in law. My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease in 2016. What helped me most was being able to ask questions here and to share with other members who truly understand. If you haven't already had enough reading I also recommend scanning through the comprehensive library of information published by the Alzheimer's Society:

Pacucho

Hello Gill,
Sorry to read about your mother in law and you ask a great question, to which I see you have received good advice.
For a summary of the issues you may need to consider over the years I've developed a Checkpoint List seeking to summarise some of the key issues each new carer I meet needs to consider.
Hope this helps,
Paco