NEW CARE ASSISTANT JOB - Need tips/guidance/advice

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Lovely 🥰

My mum is largely in her room / bed now so just make sure the lovely doggy visits those residents too!
Can you share any tips/ideas that I can do, by way of an activity for someone like your mother who spends a lot of time in her bed.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Think we all find animals great therapy - visited my son yesterday and he had a doggy visitor, gorgeous softie black spaniel, promptly fell asleep beside me on the sofa while I stroked him, really helped me relax.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Think we all find animals great therapy - visited my son yesterday and he had a doggy visitor, gorgeous softie black spaniel, promptly fell asleep beside me on the sofa while I stroked him, really helped me relax.
Do you have a photo of your "doggy visitor" - would love to see. Oh that is so cute to hear he was so chilled he fell asleep.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
Patsy does 'day care' at a local care home and the Ducklings were hatching.
03.jpg

Heres some from the morning.

02.jpg

and Patsy fell in love.

01.jpg

There are several eggs to go, there are a dozen in total.

@Living Doll. this needs a bit of pre planning but an idea for early next year.

Colin

Last edited:

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
View attachment 70426

View attachment 70427
and Patsy fell in love.

View attachment 70428

Colin

View attachment 70426

View attachment 70427
and Patsy fell in love.

View attachment 70428

Colin
Oh my God, that is amazing! Wow............................

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
Some care homes have chickens, with the residents helping to care for them and collect eggs.

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
Mummy's care home had a visit from baby goats, as well as regular therapy dog visits and I think a company called Zoolab with exotic animals. Seem to remember some of those were a bit expensive for the home to arrange.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
I rang the care home this morning and they said that there were now 11 ducklings hatched from their dozen eggs, so patsy insisted we go. How could I refuse?

04.JPG

Patsy was enthralled.

05.JPG

Colin

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I am loving seeing Patsy with this ducklings….and will be putting in a request at mums NH.

Here are zoolab in action….not so sure I would like a snake in my bed

Attachments

• 2EA53E46-1E46-44DE-8D7B-36125B516A3B.png
    2EA53E46-1E46-44DE-8D7B-36125B516A3B.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 0DA8A0D6-A1AA-40B0-92B6-DE3F6783408C.png
    0DA8A0D6-A1AA-40B0-92B6-DE3F6783408C.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 36485B21-F728-4D73-90B9-EA1DDC61197E.jpeg
    36485B21-F728-4D73-90B9-EA1DDC61197E.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 30

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
I am loving seeing Patsy with this ducklings….and will be putting in a request at mums NH.

Here are zoolab in action….not so sure I would like a snake in my bed
My son has a very young (about 2 years now) corn snake. Beautiful colours and has a nice feel when it moves round your wrist, but what a totally useless pet in my opinion - no affection and sleeps most of the day. Think the ducklings much to be preferred, but the everyone to their own….

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
Well, some of you may know that my father has had reptiles and amphibians of various kinds for years. When Zoolab visited my Mum's care home she was very confident in handling everything they bought! I think snakes are beautiful, warm and smooth, not at all as people think they are. as @Knitandpurl says, they don't do much, but for my father the challenge was always providing a high quality environment where they would breed, and they did. I like the larger snakes like pythons where you can handle them and contrary to opinion, unless you do something silly they are not aggressive. My Royal Python Xena used to coil around the edge of my rocking chair and watch Buffy with me.
I can see many people would not want one in their bed ( I would not want to be that close to any kind of spider) but hopefully people find interest and distraction in animal therapy visits

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Well, some of you may know that my father has had reptiles and amphibians of various kinds for years. When Zoolab visited my Mum's care home she was very confident in handling everything they bought! I think snakes are beautiful, warm and smooth, not at all as people think they are. as @Knitandpurl says, they don't do much, but for my father the challenge was always providing a high quality environment where they would breed, and they did. I like the larger snakes like pythons where you can handle them and contrary to opinion, unless you do something silly they are not aggressive. My Royal Python Xena used to coil around the edge of my rocking chair and watch Buffy with me.
I can see many people would not want one in their bed ( I would not want to be that close to any kind of spider) but hopefully people find interest and distraction in animal therapy visits
Definitely agree that animal visits are a big success in Care Homes. A doggie visit always made my Mum smile and engage. I have found a spider in my bed before, gave me nightmares for years, do NOT like spiders, however since the OH can no longer deal with them I no longer scream and hide but “gird my loins” and deal with. It’s better than wondering where they’ve gone and when they’re going to re appear.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
At her day care today the ducklings are growing.
IMG_0341.JPG

As soon as we arrived Patsy was given one

IMG_0344.JPG

She is still keen to bring one home, but with 11 ducklings can’t choose,

IMG_0348.JPG

I hope she changes her mind because they are being collected on Friday.

Colin.

PS it aint gonna happen, Nooooo Ducks at our house.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
We had ducks in the garden one year, nested on the allotment behind us- what a mess, and they ate all my plants. Beautiful at the Day Centre though, and I believe they can be quite affectionate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ju2009JJJ