New behavior

KatieK

Apr 18, 2024
My loved one has started leaning his forehead on the wall. It doesnt happen daily but more and more over the past few months he will shuffle to a wall and gently lean forward until his head is touching. Recently i watched him do this against a door and am obviously worried as anyone entering his room would surely have knocked him over. Has anyone else witnessed this behaviour? My mother in law says he would do it her as well. Walk to her and lean in u til their heads are touching.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @KatieK.

I’m sorry to read about your loved one. That must be really perplexing. I’ve no experience of this as neither my mother nor my husband did it. Hopefully others will be able to share their experiences soon.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @KatieK and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I wonder if your loved one (from your about information I am assuming this is your father-in-law) is finding some sort of comfort from the contact with the wall. The fact that he is also doing this with your mother-in-law also indicated that it is a comfort/contact thing.
I think that you need to discuss this with the staff at the memory care facility so that they are aware of this and take care before entering his room.

RuralTownie

Oct 11, 2021
I've seen my dad so this too. There's a vertical beam in the kitchen that he sort of drapes himself around and rests his head on. It must be reassuring somehow.

Tends to be when he's particularly foggy and at a loss as to what to do with himself.