New and puzzled

Phyllis Morton

Aug 26, 2023
Hello @Mary 85 and welcome to Talking Point.

Im afraid that it is impossible to give a timeline about what will happen when, and how long various stages will last. Every person with dementia will be different, although the general trend and various symptoms and changes will be common along the way.

If youve got a diagnosis, then there will already have been changes, but usually in the early stages the changes happen quite slowly and we as carers adapt to them, almost without thinking about it. As time goes on, though, the challenges will become harder to deal with and when this happens the best thing is to ask for advice here on how to cope with things as they occur.

You are doing the right thing with getting legal stuff like POA and will organised early, long before you will need them. They will become invaluable later on.
You might lso want to look into getting Attendance Allowance and once you have that you can get Council Tax disregard. Do get help from somewhere like Age UK or Citizens Advice in filling in the forms as it is very easy to downplay the person with dementias needs.

In the meantime, enjoy the good years and dont worry too much about the future
xx

Mary 85

Apr 13, 2023
Thank you @Phyllis Morton,

Yes, I sadly have come to realise that.

My caring and always supportive husband doesn't seem to trust me anymore. He also thinks that he is fine and I am being OTT.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent

My caring and always supportive husband doesn't seem to trust me anymore. He also thinks that he is fine and I am being OTT.
Hi @Mary85
What you say is quite usual, I'm sorry to say. As he thinks he's normal, then you telling him what do so, when, etc is in his eyes OTT, then anger at being told is also not uncommon.
Best wishes

jay6

Jun 25, 2023

You aren't alone Mary. I'm always being told he's ok and I'm stupid, mental, not well in the head lol

Mary 85

Apr 13, 2023
You aren't alone Mary. I'm always being told he's ok and I'm stupid, mental, not well in the head lol
Thank you @jay6. I think I am becoming more resilient and patient to my great surprise. It seems like adjusting is in our nature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PennyCS