New and cant see how the drugs work

itsorsonkartt

Nov 29, 2023
Hi I'm new here

My wife has been diagnozed with Alzeimers after memory clinic visit. Brain scan revealed an infarction and atrophy of left side of brain which was initially diagnosed as vascular dementia .

Since starting Donepezil ( 5MG) about 6 weeks ago Clare, my wife,
has stated singing and humming audibly. Pretty much all day.

I read that its not uncommon but wonder if its a result of the medication or not?

Any thoughts

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @itsorsonkartt

It’s possible that the change in behaviour might be due to the medication. I know Donepezil can be responsible for an increase in aggression but I haven’t heard of it being responsible for an increase in singing!

Music is supposed to be good for the brain. Is the singing/ humming causing any problems?

itsorsonkartt

Nov 29, 2023
Welcome to the forum @itsorsonkartt

It’s possible that the change in behaviour might be due to the medication. I know Donepezil can be responsible for an increase in aggression but I haven’t heard of it being responsible for an increase in singing!

Music is supposed to be good for the brain. Is the singing/ humming causing any problems?
.... Thanks for your speedy response....

....Clare , my wife seems very happy, her singing in one sense is no problem, certainly not for her, I'm guessing its a comfort... ... it does however get very strange looks in public spaces, you know , theres the little old crazy woman look... and to a lesser degree in driving me a little crazy which I'm learning to live with .... there are more difficult issues for me to deal with which started well before medication..... I just wondered if its been noted before? Its tricky to know if its part of the disease or as a result of medication? Does this matter is another good question?

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have heard of this happening due to the disease (yes its a comfort thing), but not due to donepezil. That doesnt mean that it definitely isnt due to the donepezil, of course. If it becomes a problem, speak to the doctor

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
.... Thanks for your speedy response....

....Clare , my wife seems very happy, her singing in one sense is no problem, certainly not for her, I'm guessing its a comfort... ... it does however get very strange looks in public spaces, you know , theres the little old crazy woman look... and to a lesser degree in driving me a little crazy which I'm learning to live with .... there are more difficult issues for me to deal with which started well before medication..... I just wondered if its been noted before? Its tricky to know if its part of the disease or as a result of medication? Does this matter is another good question?
My husband used to sing all the time and it was painful because he is tone deaf, He always used to sing the same song which was also a bit frustrating. He got some quite strange looks at times, particularly in the cardiologist’s waiting room which was quite small so also hard to ignore.

I never let it bother me much as it was harmless and I think people guessed that he wasn’t being deliberately aggravating .

itsorsonkartt

Nov 29, 2023
My husband used to sing all the time and it was painful because he is tone deaf, He always used to sing the same song which was also a bit frustrating. He got some quite strange looks at times, particularly in the cardiologist’s waiting room which was quite small so also hard to ignore.

I never let it bother me much as it was harmless and I think people guessed that he wasn’t being deliberately aggravating .
Thanks for your thoughts. I've seen on several posts on the forum that this is some sort of pattern.

I have mentioned this behavioural change to the medical team. I just wondered if this was isolated case maybe a coincidence which coincides with medication .

I'm pretty much surrounded by medics, doctors and nurses as family members. On advise I was keenly looking out for side effects being specifically worried about the possibility of aggression. - It is with some relief and surprise I find the reverse happening .

Bicusnicus

Dec 2, 2023
Donepezil works for a majority.It has a preventative effect on the brain.It slows the damage being done by the disease in the brain.It has a neuro protective function and a cholinesterases inhibition.Which prevents the synapse being damabed by an enzyme.
My father was taken off this at the request of family members and he had a very noticeable decline. Had to get him back but overall he lost 6 weeks of protection as it takes 3 weeksbto get the drug up to an active level.
I think its great that they are singing and its an exercise for their memory.