Neurologist to scan

chicas

Apr 27, 2016
Hi all. Just a question which I hope someone can answer.
A friend recently saw a neurologist (referred by GP). The consultation appears to have been just a general conversation, no pen/paper questions.
My friend has now been referred for a scan (I don't know what sort of scan) to investigate vascular changes/damage.
Is this usual?
I thought the Addenbrookes test was usually given, or should I assume the neurologist could see enough problems without this?
This friend has short term memory problems, serious loss of appetite, apathy and suffers frequent TIAs but otherwise manages day to day life OK with unacknowledged support from her OH.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi all. Just a question which I hope someone can answer.
A friend recently saw a neurologist (referred by GP). The consultation appears to have been just a general conversation, no pen/paper questions.
My friend has now been referred for a scan (I don't know what sort of scan) to investigate vascular changes/damage.
Is this usual?
I thought the Addenbrookes test was usually given, or should I assume the neurologist could see enough problems without this?
This friend has short term memory problems, serious loss of appetite, apathy and suffers frequent TIAs but otherwise manages day to day life OK with unacknowledged support from her OH.

I think it is good that your friend is having a scan and soon I hope. I imagine a neurologist can deduce problems by general conversation.

Aisling

chicas

Apr 27, 2016
Welcome to Talking Point.

The fact that your friend is having frequent TIAs may be the reason for the scan.

Thanks jaymor. That is the natural assumption isn't it, but you know I don't think her or her OH mentioned these TIAs at the consultation !! After the first one or two TIAs her OH doesn't report them. She has also had a few fits, maybe a couple a year for the last few years.
I sit back, make no comment as this couple together seem to be a bit in denial.Thank you for replying.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
The consultation appears to have been just a general conversation, no pen/paper questions.

If the couple are 'a bit in denial' they may not be telling you about any MMSE test that occurred, or may have 'forgotten' to tell you. When I was first sent to a neurologist the appointment was dreadful like a production line and the MMSE and other questions raced through and a scan was the outcome. At the time I would have probably just said the result of the appointment was to have a scan as I too was in a state of 'denial' it was hard enough dealing with the symptoms of cognitive impairment and memory loss and the immense changes that they were causing to my life and trying to keep a roof over my head.

Hope it helps
Best wishes
Sue

chicas

Apr 27, 2016
If the couple are 'a bit in denial' they may not be telling you about any MMSE test that occurred, or may have 'forgotten' to tell you. When I was first sent to a neurologist the appointment was dreadful like a production line and the MMSE and other questions raced through and a scan was the outcome. At the time I would have probably just said the result of the appointment was to have a scan as I too was in a state of 'denial' it was hard enough dealing with the symptoms of cognitive impairment and memory loss and the immense changes that they were causing to my life and trying to keep a roof over my head.

Hope it helps
Best wishes
Sue

It does help Sue, thank you for taking the time to reply. x

chicas

Apr 27, 2016
I think it is good that your friend is having a scan and soon I hope. I imagine a neurologist can deduce problems by general conversation.

Aisling

Thank you for replying Aisling. My friend had another TIA early this morning so is sleeping it off today.
All I want to do is support her OH who feels unable to confide in anyone else. Be able to support without being a "know it all" but understand what is happening.
I can only stand back, be there when needed.